Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Performance Upgrade Path - Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 09:47 PM
DCook42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Performance Upgrade Path - Need Help!

Hi Guys-

I'd like to add some additional "pep" to my G-37s, and I'm mainly looking at a handful of Stillen products (had success with some upgrades to my old Maxima), and I don't plan on doing anything overly invasive like adding a supercharger or turbo.

My main question is this: would installing these parts be logical, and what would you recommend in terms of prioritizing? For example, I don't want to install something that's not going to do anything for me unless I rip the engine apart and put in a turbo/supercharger, which is not gonna happen (at least not until I hit the lottery! ). Perhaps they would all add a little performance? I'm not going to pretend to be a gear-head, I just don't want to waste time or money. Also, my G37 is my daily driver, so I don't want to do something that would only be appreciated on a race-track; just enough to get me up to speed quickly as I merge onto the highway.

I'll list the parts I'm considering below, in a relative order of interest.

Stilllen Exhaust
Stillen Intake (longer arm version)
Stillen Headers - (and how do I find out if this thing is legal in CT? should I care?)
Stillen Flywheel
Stillen Lightweight pulleys
(the "high flow cats" say for off road use only, so I'll assume that's not for me)
Please refer to this site to see any of those products: http://www.stillen.com/landing_pages...rformance.html

The sum of those parts, according to that website, would add a little over 50 HP and make for slightly better shifting. All for about $2750 + shipping and installation. Sound good? I welcome any/all input, thanks for reading, I enjoy the site and looking at all of your sweet rides! Hopefully by mid-summer, some new performance parts, wheels and springs will motivate me to post some pics of my own.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:56 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Welcome. I too came from a Maxima!

Exhaust and intake will probably yield results you'll like. Personally I think the pulleys don't do much of anything in this application, particularly for the money they cost and the headache they are to install. Headers will yield performance gains as well but I don't think they are any more "legal" than the HFC are; but I'm not 100% sure. Should you care? Not unless you have emission inspection ***** like some states do that are very strict. Flywheel is probably not a DIY install for most people but yields some gains.

As far as 50 net HP in net gains, no. Not a chance. Adding a lot of those thing together will not necessarily yield the sum of all the given HP gains, that's been proven. If you add all that you listed I'd guess maybe 30 or 35 HP maximum. But it will definitely make a difference you can feel. Have fun modding your car. It sounds like you'll be busy for a while.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:03 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
IF you have the money and looking for maximum gains..

Go for:
1) Stillen 3rd Gen Intakes aka long arms lol
2) FI exhaust and HFC (tony shall hook you up with that combo) - looks best among exhausts too
3) Stillen Headers (not sure if Impul has theirs out yet)
4) Flywheel, Clutch & Pulley
5) Custom Reflash

Mod gains don't add up like 1+1 but you will have a nice smile on your face by the time you're done..

Happy Modding
Old 02-13-2009, 10:28 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
if you live in CT i think you should be find with headers... all the mods you've listed will yield gains... but gains are not linear as you add more modifications... the line is curved, as you get less and less the more bolt on mods you put on...
Old 02-15-2009, 12:21 PM
DCook42

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated! Diminishing returns on bolt on parts - understandable, especially those that increase airflow. Forgive me if my budget sounded unlimited, would like to keep parts total under 3k, as I'm sure installation is going to cost a fair amount too (know anyone good in CT/NY?). Wheels/tires are a goal too, and they look alot pricier now than they did 6 years ago on my Maxima !

To G37Sam, perhaps you could introduce me to Tony? Sorry to be a n00b, but i'm new to this site and my car education has taken place via Need For Speed and Gran Turismo video games lol . Also, you mentioned a new clutch, which is something I hadn't thought of... although after a quick google I see they're out there. Is this something you'd recommend with the flywheel? Would make for smoother shifting or faster shifting?

As for an ECU flash, wouldn't even know who to talk to about that around here, and is something I'd hold off on until I had all the parts on I plan on getting. A friend of mine did tell me that can make for significant gains though - what have you guys heard regarding G37 owners re-flashing their ECU's? Any success stories to share?

To BlackBetty, sounds like pulleys would be a pain to install, and/or not worth it. Good to know, perhaps money can be better spent elsewhere, thanks for the heads up!

Thanks guys,
DC

PS - one more Q: Are HFC's obnoxiously loud?

Last edited by DCook42; 02-15-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:10 AM
DCook42

Oh boy

I just read a whole lot of posts regarding the Cobb AccessPORT and ECU flashing, and it has raised more questions than answers. Are my precious, un-bought bolt-ons going to be for nothin? So many different opinions from reflashing is worthless, to critical!!?!??

So then, I read some posts on custom wheels, and they're saying that 20" can hurt your acceleration due to the increased weight!?

Sure, I want my car to look and sound good, but my primary motivation is performance. Can't someone just tell me how to spend 3K on bolt-ons!? Maybe I should just screw performance and get a fancy stereo lol.

DC