Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Question about the Rev-Mach 6MT on the 370z??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 11:15 AM
GregUMR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AndrewDDS
After listening to all the pros/cons about the synchro rev, I have to insist that it's an amazing piece of engineering that will most certainly add the driving experience of our cars!! Does it take away from the heel/toe driving that the "enthusiasts" are clamoring about? When it's turned on, perhaps. But you can turn this feature off, which makes the car no different than our current 6MTs. If you want to go to the track and heel/toe through all the bends and turns, you still can. One could very easily apply the same argument that the synchro-rev "takes away from the driving experience" to the traction control we all enjoy. You think traction control takes away from the driving experience? Then turn it off; no one's complaining about having the ability to turn it on.

However, when you're half-asleep and you roll out of bed and into your car for your morning commute, the synchro-rev would allow you to enjoy a smooth drive without the extra hassle of throttle blips and rev matching your downshifts. I don't know about anyone else, but my morning commute is usually a rough drive because I'm drinking a coffee, half-asleep, dealing with stop-and-go traffic, and definitely not focusing on my transmission. To be honest, I wish I had bought an automatic every single morning. It's not until I take it out on a nice afternoon and have some fun that I remember why I chose the 6MT.

The synchro-rev transmission would give us manual tranny people the ability to have a classic manual transmission, but also allow for more daily-driving comfort and convenience when we want to focus on something other than our car. IMO, the synchro-rev transmission would make my 6MT a much better daily driver than it currently is. But once I turned it off, I would have the exact same car I already have!
I'm usually the first in line to complain about some new driver assisted control mechanism on a car. However, I completely agree with your statement here and synchro-revmatch in general. I think if its got a button/switch to turn it off, then it should be in every 6mt nissan/infiniti makes from this point forward. I love heel/toeing, but like you said, in the morning I'm just tired and not all that alert and need to get to work. Plus, you don't want to be practicing your heel/toe when you have a date in your car that you are trying to concentrate on and entertain.

I think it would be a great feature to have on my G. Especially nice on the highway when you want to kick her into a lower gear to shoot past someone. Can I do that already? Yes, but I could use this new revmatch when I'm lazy and want the absolutely perfect rpm. Great innovation by Nissan IMO.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:56 AM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
People who are accustomed to "shaking" their shifter around in neutral while coming to a stop will end up reving their engines. One of the guys at Amplified was telling me how it's a habit for him and while he was at a stop, he did this accidentally and the guy next to him thought he wanted to race lol.

I think it's a cool feature, especially since you have the option to turn it off. I've heard that the feature won't be coming to the G since it would take away from Z sales.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:28 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not everybody. I like the feature and even more now that I know you can turn it off and on. I WANT IT!
Old 02-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I would like to experiment with it to determine it's effectiveness, how it behaves in real world situations, and determine if I like it at all. Since it is defeatable though, I'd have no reason to oppose it being an included feature. It would probably add resale value and it wouldn't be an issue if I hate it because I can turn it off. Similar to traction control, except that the wheelspin nanny is still lurking in the shadows and will still step in and control your car in some circumstances even with VDC in the off position.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:59 PM
GregUMR

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
People who are accustomed to "shaking" their shifter around in neutral while coming to a stop will end up reving their engines. One of the guys at Amplified was telling me how it's a habit for him and while he was at a stop, he did this accidentally and the guy next to him thought he wanted to race lol.

I think it's a cool feature, especially since you have the option to turn it off. I've heard that the feature won't be coming to the G since it would take away from Z sales.
LOL I have that exact same habit. I TRY to not do it since I've heard it can actually be harmful to the tranny. I can see it now, wobbling it around back and forth in neutral causes the same effect as jamming on the gas peddle while sitting at a light. Maybe this is Nissan's way of saying you should constantly be racing everyone with the Z Hey, if you race a Z51 vette you can beat him if the other driver isn't the quickest shifter. Not bad for a $30k car.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Thrillhouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're not going to beat a Z51 'vette unless he starts in 3rd gear. Those things are 0-60 in the low 4 second range.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:58 AM
GregUMR

Lol what an exaggeration. If he started in 3rd a dodge neon could beat him to 60..........

The Z51 from 06-08 did 0-60 in 4.4ish, 4.8 is what I've been hearing from the 370z, .4s is a close enough that my original statement could happen. A good 370Z driver against a bad vette driver, the Z could take it.. Anyway it's barely worth discussing it anyway, I was just throwing it out there, we can argue it till the cows come home but who cares.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:28 PM
xyz
Registered Member

I just drove my co-worker's 370z . . . and the rev-match is flawless . . . prob even better than when i heel-toe myself (or maybe i just suck at it). Overall, the car is tighter . . . lots of grip . . . and the exhaust note is more pronounced . . . but the stereo sucked (he has the base version)
Old 05-03-2009, 09:05 AM
jwfisher
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
370Z tranny has a sensor in the output shaft housing, anothe ron the sensor, and then there is the programming. Would be expensive to retrofit it here...
Old 05-03-2009, 03:21 PM
yacoub

maybe it's to compensate for how cute and cuddly the 370z looks. it allows them to sound faster and furiouser while driving, so they don't feel as emaciated.