Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

clunky transmissions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 10:54 AM
speedphreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clunky transmissions?

Its been a while since I posted here last. And my God I cannot believe I still don't have a new &^$$%^&* car yet! AHHH!!!! I guess its a good thing, plenty of time to think..... I have gone through so many freaking cars. The G37S was one of the first I test drove and I loved it. I have heard a lot of great things coming from the G37s like the top10 best cars and all. But I am still hearing this horrible transmission issue. Can anyone clear this for me? Thanks!
Old 02-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
G37 tranny is clunky but not as bad as the G35/350. What car are you coming from?
Old 02-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Reed19x

I drive a 5AT so take my opinion with a grain of salt...

All cars are going to have transmission issues if driven incorrectly. Some people grind through their gears while others carefully take their time to shift. Fact is, even when driving a manual transmission...many drivers' minds are on other things, not focusing on what they're doing. Just ask the several people here who have burned their clutch or r*ped their tranny. Yeah it can happen and will happen if you're trying to do stupid things (outside of spirited driving). Just don't be a moron, and try to pay attention to what your car is telling you to avoid problems. Long story short, no the G37 doesn't have any worse transmission problems than any other car. It's a normal gearbox...not smooth, but not overly rough either. And certainly nowhere near the nightmare of the GT-R
Old 02-04-2009, 11:27 AM
speedphreak

Originally Posted by Reed19x
I drive a 5AT so take my opinion with a grain of salt...

All cars are going to have transmission issues if driven incorrectly. Some people grind through their gears while others carefully take their time to shift. Fact is, even when driving a manual transmission...many drivers' minds are on other things, not focusing on what they're doing. Just ask the several people here who have burned their clutch or r*ped their tranny. Yeah it can happen and will happen if you're trying to do stupid things (outside of spirited driving). Just don't be a moron, and try to pay attention to what your car is telling you to avoid problems. Long story short, no the G37 doesn't have any worse transmission problems than any other car. It's a normal gearbox...not smooth, but not overly rough either. And certainly nowhere near the nightmare of the GT-R
Hm...thats what I figured. I am coming from a Mazdaspeed3.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Are you talking about the sound at idle with the clutch is released? It's a little annoying, but it definitely shouldn't be a deal breaker for you IMO... It's not really an issue, as every 6MT that i've heard has it. It's more of a "characteristic".. At least that's what I tell anyone who hears it... But it doesn't affect the performance of the car at all...
Old 02-04-2009, 12:40 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would have just gone with the auto if I had to do it over again (especially the new 7 speed). Do not really like the clutch on this car...
Old 02-04-2009, 12:47 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
the tranny feels really notchy to me... a lot notchy than other manual cars i've driven... kind of disappointed at that... but it's all good i still love my G
Old 02-04-2009, 12:49 PM
speedphreak

Originally Posted by aliiin
the tranny feels really notchy to me... a lot notchy than other manual cars i've driven... kind of disappointed at that... but it's all good i still love my G

Ever driven a late model Mustang? lol.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:50 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Originally Posted by speedphreak
Ever driven a late model Mustang? lol.
nope enlighten me?

oh and one more note, i feel like i'm breaking the tranny sometimes cause it's so damn notchy
Old 02-04-2009, 12:56 PM
speedphreak

nope enlighten me?

oh and one more note, i feel like i'm breaking the tranny sometimes cause it's so damn notchy
LOL..well what other MT's hae you driven? Cuz when I drove the 37s it didnt feel notchy to me at all.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:58 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

^ yeah, ive driven scion tc's and civic si's that have a more slick gearbox than ours.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:58 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

acura nsx, acura rsx-s, porsche 911 carrera, nissan frontier, toyota tacoma, geo metro, honda s2k, honda civic si and probably a few more i can't remember
Old 02-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have to agree it is one of the clunkier I have driven as well. It did not stop me from buying and I am used to it but it is clunky.

Tell me you dont hear that loud clunk when going slow and shifting from 1st to 2nd.......clunk!
Old 02-04-2009, 01:03 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

acura nsx, acura rsx-s, porsche 911 carrera, nissan frontier, toyota tacoma, geo metro, honda s2k, honda civic si and probably a few more i can't remember
Ive noticed that honda transmissions are VERY well done.. theyre so slick and fun to shift with. clutch action is perfect as well. Honestly, Nissan could take a few tips from them.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:04 PM
speedphreak

Honestly, I drove a Dodge Challenger RT 6 speed and it didnt feel notchy to me either. Hmmm....Yes I agree, Honda makes the best trannys out there!

Quick Reply: clunky transmissions?