Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Tranny whining in 1st and 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 01:08 AM
wipeoutlol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny whining in 1st and 2nd gear

Decided to make my own thread for this one.. Just got my pre-owned G37 with 20k miles on it a couple days ago.

Theres a very faint "whine" in 1st and 2nd gear. Also when I release or press the gas at low RPMs in 2nd gear the car jerks a little bit. It also jerks in first gear if i gas or release.

When I'm in first gear and decelerating , and press the clutch, I can hear the gear making some sort of metallic noise..

At first I thought this was normal for a manual trans, but a lot of people said they got their transmissions replaced over this. But I'm not sure if there SHOULD be a faint whine/gear noise or if the problem people are talking about is a LOUD whine.

When im in 6th gear on the highway, or even 3rd gear sometimes, if i let go of the gas fast, I can feel the shifter jerk a bit.. I'm starting to wonder if im being too **** about this whole thing

Also, when you take it to the dealership, what do you say? What if they say its normal? Do you HAVE to take it to the dealership you bought it at?

Any help appreciated, thanks.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:12 AM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

mine makes a winding noise, its normal to an extent. have you heard honda's when theyre in reverse?? its crazy how loud it is. When you gas hard in 1st gear, and let off the accelerator, its normal for it to jerk a little bit and slow the car down. That's just how 1st gear is... Torquey and powerful. 2nd gear should be less, and 3rd gear even less, etc.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:18 AM
wipeoutlol

LOL, yeah. I used to have a manual POS Civic... Reverse was L O U D.

The winding in 1st/2nd is like that but much, MUCH quieter.

I get picky about my car, especially one this expensive. Just want to make sure I get the most out of this warranty before it expires.