Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Ester Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 08:47 PM
hopgo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you go to the TSO Ester oil (Nissan) what is the Infiniti recommended interval between oil changes.........a dealer told me 7500 miles but since it is a conventional oil I wonder,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,help !!
Old 01-17-2009, 03:26 AM
ifinity

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
for the 2008 G37, more free details (no mention of Ester, whoever she is):
(or find your manuals here: http://www.infiniti.com/iapps/techpubs )

Engine Oil Recommendation INFOID:0000000001679218
NISSAN recommends the use of an energy conserving oil in order to improve fuel economy.
Select only engine oils that meet the American Petroleum Institute (API) certification and International Lubricant
Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) certification and SAE viscosity standard. These oils
have the API certification mark on the front of the container. Oils which do not have the specified quality label
should not be used as they could cause engine damage.

Schedule 1
Follow Periodic Maintenance Schedule 1 if the driving habits frequently include
one or more of the following driving conditions:
• Repeated short trips of less than 5 miles (8 km).
• Repeated short trips of less than 10 miles (16 km) with outside temperatures
remaining below freezing.
• Operating in hot weather in stop-and-go “rush hour” traffic.
• Extensive idling and/or low speed driving for long distances, such as police, taxi
or door-to-door delivery use.
• Driving in dusty conditions.
• Driving on rough, muddy, or salt spread roads.
• Towing a trailer, using a camper or a car-top carrier.
pg. MA-6

Schedule 2
Follow Periodic Maintenance Schedule 2 if none of driving conditions shown in
Schedule 1 apply to the driving habits.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:00 PM
hopgo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
still confusing......

The question I have is since the Ester oil TSO / VVEL came out after the manual was printed and the manual does not specifically mention the new Ester oil what is the oil change schedule for this specific oil..........and why did the dealer tell me 7500 miles vs. the 3750 the manual states ??
Old 01-19-2009, 03:21 PM
JZ39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just spoke with my friend who is the GTR mechanic at the dealership and who just finsihed training on the 3.7L engine for the new Z:

He said that they specifically told them that the engines had to use this ester oil.

My friend made it a point to notify the sales people etc. of this (because none of them knew this) since oil changes are going to be quite a bit more expensive than people are expecting for the Z's.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:04 AM
ifinity

on pg 9-3 of the 2009 owners manual, Recommended specifications for oil, see new note:

"*11: NISSAN recommends Genuine NISSAN Ester Engine Oil available at your NISSAN dealer."

Does recommended mean "must use"?
Is not using Ester, whoever she is, going to violate the warranty?
Would one hard load on the engine cause permanent damage without this oil?
I would like to see someone from Infiniti reply to this issue.
Otherwise, if they claim there is no warranty violation issue for using plain 5-30W, better sell the vehicle before the warranty expires, just in case Ester really is required to make the engine function properly.
Infiniti needs to clarify their recommendation, for instance, "your engine life will only last until the warranty expires unless you use our Ester...Ester will give your engine another 10K miles before blowing".

The dealer may say to change oil every 7500 miles if you are doing light or mostly freeway driving (schedule 2)? Otherwise, I would stick to the 3750 mile schedule 1, as most of us are pushing the car whenever the chance appears.

Last edited by ifinity; 01-21-2009 at 05:12 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 01-22-2009, 12:15 PM
hagerman11

Ok, so I have read all of this and I think I am more confused than before. So can I use 5w30 amsoil with a k&n oil filter? Or do I have to use an oil with ester in it? I am due an oil change!!

Chris
Old 01-22-2009, 03:57 PM
DashKid
Banned

Originally Posted by hagerman11
Ok, so I have read all of this and I think I am more confused than before. So can I use 5w30 amsoil with a k&n oil filter? Or do I have to use an oil with ester in it? I am due an oil change!!

Chris
yes you don't need ester oil it not required only recommended.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:14 PM
w0ady

ya the only REQUIRED thing for the g37 is 91+ octane gas. however, if you experience vvel knocking - infiniti says you need to go to ester oil to correct it.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:45 PM
ifinity

Best to get back on track -- Jz39 states above:
"they specifically told them that the engines had to use this ester oil."
This is beyond just a recommendation, even though it was stated about the 370Z, it should apply to our g37. I would not mind using it if the cost was not outrageous, and if it is not a pure synthetic, then it should be cheaper than Mobil 1. Nissan/Infiniti should share the cost on this as well, since it was not originally specified. This will be a negative selling point and lower resale price if they do not -- buyer beware. For me, I will need to sell the car before the drivetrain warranty expires:
"• The Powertrain coverage period is 72 months or 70,000 miles, whichever comes first.
...WHAT IS NOT COVERED: • Alteration, tampering or improper repair.
• Installation of non-Nissan approved accessories or components.
• Improper installation of any Nissan approved or aftermarket accessory or component...
As a condition of this warranty, you are responsible for properly using, maintaining and caring for your vehicle as outlined in your Owner’s Manual, and of maintaining copies of all maintenance records & receipts for review by Nissan. Failure to do so is likely to result in the denial of warranty."
Old 02-12-2009, 03:51 PM
ifinity

Mobil 1, Castrol Edge, Royal Purple MSDS

from the Mobil 1 5-30 MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) http://www.msds.exxonmobil.com/psims/psims.aspx :
" ...OTHER INGREDIENTS:
Substance Name Approx. Wt%
-------------- -----------
POLYOLEFIN POLYAMINE 1-5
SUCCINIMIDE (147880-09-9)
The following product ingredients are cited on the lists below:
CHEMICAL NAME CAS NUMBER LIST CITATIONS *
------------- ---------- --------------
ZINC (ELEMENTAL ANALYSIS) (0.12%) 7440-66-6 22
PHOSPHORODITHOIC ACID, O,O-DI 68649-42-3 22
C1-14-ALKYL ESTERS, ZINC SALTS (2:1) (ZDDP) (0.26%)
ZINC DITHIOPHOSPHATE (0.72%) 68649-42-3 22 "

So Ester is part of Mobil 1 also...who knows how different from the Nissan stuff?

It is interesting that the Castrol Edge MSDS http://www.castroledgeusa.com/assets...DS_1.31.09.pdf shows "highly refined mineral oil" and "CERCLA: Haz Substances: Zinc alkyl dithiophosphate, Cadmium, Arsenic, Lead" as components. So that makes it synthetic?
http://www.castroledgeusa.com/#/faq states with their 8X better wear protection than Mobil 1 (running engine btw 800rpm (50min) and 1500rpm (10min) for 100hrs??), 15K mile guarantee, and meeting of other standards, that they are better than Mobil 1 (incl. ext. performance), and Royal Purple (not haz, just paraffins?) http://www.royal-purple-industrial.c...trialmsds.html ....blah, blah, blah?

Amsoil 5-30 synthetic MSDS shows: "CERCLA 40 CFR 302.4...Zinc Compounds @1.62-2.5%, RQ 1 lb" as the only hint.
Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA), commonly known as Superfund, was enacted by Congress on December 11, 1980...CERCLA also enabled the revision of the National Contingency Plan (NCP). The NCP provided the guidelines and procedures needed to respond to releases and threatened releases of hazardous substances, pollutants, or contaminants. http://epa.gov/superfund/policy/cercla.htm

Last edited by ifinity; 02-12-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:09 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hopgo
The question I have is since the Ester oil TSO / VVEL came out after the manual was printed and the manual does not specifically mention the new Ester oil what is the oil change schedule for this specific oil..........and why did the dealer tell me 7500 miles vs. the 3750 the manual states ??
The standard ester oil the dealership uses shouldn't be rated at 7500 miles. I've had 3 oil changes from 2 different dealerships and they both gave me 3750 miles until the next change.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:14 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
The standard ester oil the dealership uses shouldn't be rated at 7500 miles. I've had 3 oil changes from 2 different dealerships and they both gave me 3750 miles until the next change.
i'm pretty sure at my latest oil change with the Ester, that they put a sticker up with 4500 miles or somewhere in that neck of the woods.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:54 AM
todd92

Amazing. 9 pages of threads. People going to a the dealer for oil changes. Thinking they 'have' to use this Nissan conventional oil with ester additive.

I don't go anywhere near a dealer service department unless it's a warranty repair or a recall. I definitely don't take advice from a service tech or manager as to what kind of oil to use. Do you own research.

I change my oil myself. I use Mobil 1 5W-30 EP and Purolator Pure One filters. I'm on a 10,000 mile OCI, supported by oil analysis. No funny noises. No worries.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:31 AM
Heat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by todd92
Amazing. 9 pages of threads. People going to a the dealer for oil changes. Thinking they 'have' to use this Nissan conventional oil with ester additive.

I don't go anywhere near a dealer service department unless it's a warranty repair or a recall. I definitely don't take advice from a service tech or manager as to what kind of oil to use. Do you own research.

I change my oil myself. I use Mobil 1 5W-30 EP and Purolator Pure One filters. I'm on a 10,000 mile OCI, supported by oil analysis. No funny noises. No worries.
You are worried about taking your car to the dealership for an oil change yet you turn around and put on a Purolator oil filter. That is worse that using one of those cheapos from Wal-mart.

Oh and no documentation means they can deny your warranty if you do have problems. Receipts for oil and filter wont support.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:41 AM
todd92

Originally Posted by Heat
You are worried about taking your car to the dealership for an oil change yet you turn around and put on a Purolator oil filter. That is worse that using one of those cheapos from Wal-mart.

Oh and no documentation means they can deny your warranty if you do have problems. Receipts for oil and filter wont support.
You are wrong about Purolator Pure One filters.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo...tml#OilFilters

You are also very wrong about being denied warranty coverage if you change your own oil. But if you use a good oil and filter, you will never have an oil related failure anyway, so why worry about it?

Quick Reply: Ester Oil?