Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Ester Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Heat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am doing it on mine at when it is time but that is on Motul v300 Power Racing formula.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Heat
I am doing it on mine at when it is time but that is on Motul v300 Power Racing formula.
I'm going to be sending in a sample with 8100 Eco shortly.

Waiting more 300V to come in... we're all sold out a the dealership

Miles on your sample/engine and are you getting TBN too?
Old 01-12-2009, 03:15 PM
andromeda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is funny..I was talking to my dealer explaining him what type of oil other 400+ G37 owners are using...Here is the response I got:

"Infiniti recommends Nissan Ester oil for your engine. You will find that in section 9-4 of your owner’s manual. They do not say anything about synthetic oils. When you bring your car here for an oil change we will be using Nissan Ester oil. I do not know if Nissan Ester oil is synthetic or not. I do know that is what they want you to use.

It appears that some synthetic oils use ester oil but not all of them. If you are using a synthetic oil without ester oil in it and your engine blows up I would expect Infiniti deny a warranty claim. The people recommending full synthetics on the internet will not pay your bills if you have a problem. I would just use the recommended motor oil and not have to worry about it......"

I would love to see some comments here....For now I take it as all the people on this forum using either Motul or Mobile 1 had their engines blown off and they replaced the engines with their own money since Infiniti ONLy recommends their own oil, everything else being just bad...

Am I making a mistake if I say that the way I read this is: don't use better synthetic oils, use just ours so you come and change it more often....?

Either way it's ridiculous...

Once again, I'd love to hear your comments Guys!

Thanks,
-A
Old 01-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Heat

I am doing it at 6k miles and my car will have a little over 25k miles on it. Yes I am getting a TBN.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Heat

Originally Posted by andromeda
This is funny..I was talking to my dealer explaining him what type of oil other 400+ G37 owners are using...Here is the response I got:

"Infiniti recommends Nissan Ester oil for your engine. You will find that in section 9-4 of your owner’s manual. They do not say anything about synthetic oils. When you bring your car here for an oil change we will be using Nissan Ester oil. I do not know if Nissan Ester oil is synthetic or not. I do know that is what they want you to use.

It appears that some synthetic oils use ester oil but not all of them. If you are using a synthetic oil without ester oil in it and your engine blows up I would expect Infiniti deny a warranty claim. The people recommending full synthetics on the internet will not pay your bills if you have a problem. I would just use the recommended motor oil and not have to worry about it......"

I would love to see some comments here....For now I take it as all the people on this forum using either Motul or Mobile 1 had their engines blown off and they replaced the engines with their own money since Infiniti ONLy recommends their own oil, everything else being just bad...

Am I making a mistake if I say that the way I read this is: don't use better synthetic oils, use just ours so you come and change it more often....?

Thanks,
-A
LMFAO. Motul is ester based synthetic. The nissan oil is petroleum oil(non-synthetic) with ester additives. Mobil one is sythetic without ester additives.

If I remember correctly, the manual doesnt state that you have to use Nissan Ester oil in your car. They cannot deny a warranty claim because you chose not to bring it to the dealership every oil change. However, it does state that you have to use 5w-30 viscosity. Motul and Eneos are better oils than the Nissan recommended oil. I would so have told that guy off.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Mike

From the owner's manual of a 2008 G37 Coupe:

Originally Posted by Infiniti Owner's Manual, 2008 G37 Coupe, page 9-6
1. API Certification mark
2. API Service Symbol

ENGINE OIL AND OIL FILTER RECOMMENDATION

Selecting the correct oil

It is essential to choose the correct grade, quality, and viscosity engine oil to ensure satisfactory engine life and performance, see "CAPACITIES AND RECOMMEND FUEL L UBRICANTS" earlier in this section. INFINITI recommends the use of an energy conserving oil in order to improve fuel economy. Select only engine oils that meet the American Petroleum Institute (API) Certification or International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) certification and SAE viscosity standard These oils have the API certifcation mark on the front of the c ontainer. Oils which do not have teh specified quality lable should not be used as they could cause engine damage.

Change Intervals

The oil and oil filter change intervals for your engine are based on the use of the specified quality oils and filters. Oil and filter other than the specified quality, or oil and filter change intervals longer than recommended could reduce engine life. Damage to engines caused by improper maintenance or use of incorrect oil and filter quality and/or viscosity is not covvered by the new INFINITI vehicle limited warranties."
Originally Posted by Recommended Specifications, 2008 Infiniti G37 Owner's manual, page 9-2
Engine oil with API Certification Mark
Viscosity SAE 5W30
Old 01-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by andromeda

Thanks,
-A
Sounds like a typical cop-out answer.

As long as the oil and filter meet the specifications (filter MUST be a genuine Nissan filter, although I doubt they'd hold you to that one), and you change your oil regularly at the specified interval, you are covered. The specs are outlined above.

The Ester oil is recommended under certain applications; I will get that document as well; give me a few moments.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:01 PM
andromeda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LMFAO. Motul is ester based synthetic. The nissan oil is petroleum oil(non-synthetic) with ester additives. Mobil one is sythetic without ester additives.

If I remember correctly, the manual doesnt state that you have to use Nissan Ester oil in your car. They cannot deny a warranty claim because you chose not to bring it to the dealership every oil change. However, it does state that you have to use 5w-30 viscosity. Motul and Eneos are better oils than the Nissan recommended oil. I would so have told that guy off.

Thanks Heat! Well this world is full of various types of people....

Actually in my 09 manual it does say:
"Nissan recommends Genuine Nissan ester engine oil......"

Point taken...I just don't understand how some people can live w/o thinking at ALL.

Best Regards,
-A
Old 01-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Heat

"Recommends" not "required"

It is required to put 93 octane in but not required to use only Exxon mobile fuel.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Mike

Name:  SNC00166.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  40.1 KB

The TSB requires the use of the Nissan Ester oil.

It says no more, and no less.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:24 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by heat
"recommends" not "required"

it is required to put 93 octane in but not required to use only exxon mobile fuel.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Heat

Wow that is crazy that because the engine has a ticking sound that they fix it by making you put a certain oil in your car.

Easy fix: Start using the ester oil that you want now to prevent the ticking noise and then you will never fall under the TSB.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Heat

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
I figured that was wrong when I wrote it. I always use 93 anyways. And I never use discount fuel.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:37 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I figured that was wrong when I wrote it. I always use 93 anyways. And I never use discount fuel.
Texas has 87, 89, and 93, right? Something like that...we only have up to 91. Well, there IS a gas station next to my work that sells 100 octane, but I don't fly a jet to work
Old 01-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Heat

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
Texas has 87, 89, and 93, right? Something like that...we only have up to 91. Well, there IS a gas station next to my work that sells 100 octane, but I don't fly a jet to work
Not everywhere do they have 93. In the big cities and mostly at chain gas stations such as Shell as Exxon and Valero and Texaco. I actually went to a small town where the best they had was 92. Kinda sucked.

Sunco Racing fuels sells high octane gas but unless you are going to the track, it is pointless and you prob wouldnt notice that big a difference until you start competing to the milliseconds.

Quick Reply: Ester Oil?