Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Ester Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 12:52 PM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
^ Good read from motoiq. Thanks for the link. I had my oil changed at 3750 with Ester Oil from the dealership..... it was a complimentary oil change and I've been debating which oil to go with for my next oil change.

I dont put a lot of miles on the car, so I was looking for something that would provide good protection even if the car is sat in a garage for a week. My wife and I take the train to work everyday, and the train station is a few minutes from my house so there will be weeks when I only use the car on weekends.

I was going to sent it in for a UOA, but unfortunately I didnt get a UOA at 3750 for my first change. Im expecting to have a decent amount of iron, copper, and silicon because the car only has 6k miles on it so its not fully broken in yet.

Ive been readin BITOG for a few years now, but following applications for my older cars. Does anyone know how the other top end ester oils compare in relation to how often you drive the car? For example, is one brand better than another if you are driving the car very frequently vs. letting the car sit during the week and only driving on weekends? I see according to the poll, a lot of people are using Mobil 1. Ive done Mobil 1 on every car in the past, but since every engine's characteristics are different from brand to brand, just because it was good in the past doesnt mean it will be good on the G37 and Im not too sure that Mobil 1 is the best cheaper oil option on the G37.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:26 AM
YO-EL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basic question...

What is the factory fill (oil)?
Anyone know?
Old 02-27-2010, 10:50 AM
JonfromCB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by YO-EL
Basic question...

What is the factory fill (oil)?
Anyone know?

YO-EL, Nissan Ester has been the FF since it was introduced
mid-model year 08. Reference Nissan "White Papers."
Old 09-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Xyrium
Registered Member

Does Nissan offer a synthetic option for the G at all? I was thinking of going to Redline 5w/30 at my next oil change. My car seems to exhibit noticeable vibration at idle after a few miles on the Mobile 1 I had put in it. Only 6k on the odo right now. Link to the Redline stuff, which specifically mentions esters.

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Motor Oil - 5W30 Motor Oil
Old 11-16-2010, 09:00 AM
philter25

Originally Posted by Xyrium
Does Nissan offer a synthetic option for the G at all? I was thinking of going to Redline 5w/30 at my next oil change. My car seems to exhibit noticeable vibration at idle after a few miles on the Mobile 1 I had put in it. Only 6k on the odo right now. Link to the Redline stuff, which specifically mentions esters.

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Motor Oil - 5W30 Motor Oil
Ive been using Redline for 2 fills now during break in. I have no vibration, no ticking, no engine issues so far whatsoever. My UOA's show good numbers for a car going through break in. I also tend to be a more spirited driver.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Xyrium
Registered Member

THat's great news. Thanks Phil.

Originally Posted by philter25
Ive been using Redline for 2 fills now during break in. I have no vibration, no ticking, no engine issues so far whatsoever. My UOA's show good numbers for a car going through break in. I also tend to be a more spirited driver.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:04 AM
BOSS-G37

Went to the dealer and asked about filling it up at 11250 (3rd oil change) with ester oil and he seemed to give a genuine answer. He basically said it's not worth it in the long run and to just save the money and buy stuff for the G instead.

What do you guys think? I don't really know if I can justify the steep $$$ on the oil alone for little benefits.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:21 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Stick to the cheapest oil that suits your needs.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:17 AM
Xyrium
Registered Member

I agree. I use synthetic because I'm lazy and need the extra mileage out of each change. This said, I did just order 6 bottles of Redline just to see if it makes a difference in the vibration I'm feeling. If not, then either my car is faulty, or my car included free shiatsu massage seating.

Originally Posted by Mike
Stick to the cheapest oil that suits your needs.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:15 PM
xixonmn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Xyrium
Does Nissan offer a synthetic option for the G at all?
Dealer will try to sale you their Nissan Ester oil but they do have synthetic oil if you want.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:48 AM
BOSS-G37

Thanks for the honesty guys. Will probably stick to mobil one.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:55 AM
allagaroo

adding oil to Ester in between oil changes

If i require oil in between oil changes is it OK to add anything other than Ester oil if I'm a quart down and on the road. I currently put Ester oil in at my first oil change. Also my dealer said if I start with Ester oil I need to stay with it???????
Old 11-18-2010, 08:10 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by allagaroo
If i require oil in between oil changes is it OK to add anything other than Ester oil if I'm a quart down and on the road. I currently put Ester oil in at my first oil change. Also my dealer said if I start with Ester oil I need to stay with it???????
Dealers amaze me.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:12 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by BOSS-G37
Thanks for the honesty guys. Will probably stick to mobil one.
Do you plan to use a 3750 mile OCI? If you want to go closer to 7500 you might want to do a little more research.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:22 AM
philter25

Originally Posted by allagaroo
Incase you didnt pick it up from KLB's response, thats complete and utter bull**** from the dealer.

As for adding oil, I personally dont mix oil. Some people will say as long as you add 5w30 and the oils you put in your car meet Nissan's spec's, you'd be ok. But not all 5w30's are the same. Dont have the same viscosities, additive packages, flashpoints, etc.

If you require oil in between oil changes, Id investigate a little more to make sure you dont have an oil burning issue. Also, how long are your OCI's? If you are running 3750 between changes, Id be pretty irked if I needed to add oil.

Quick Reply: Ester Oil?