Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Mounting the Accessport

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 08:01 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mounting the Accessport

If you've tried to set the access port up for live data collection you've no doubt enjoyed carefully routing the wires out of your foot room and then finding a decent place to set it where its not in the way or if you've wanted to set it up for live viewing on a regular basis it's even more of a challenge. The dongle and cable hang too far down and really get in the way.

The solution is very simple and cheap and that's to get a 2ft. ODBII right angle extender cable. The cable allows you to wire the dongle under the console and I've confirmed with COBB the dongle can be left plugged in alone with no power draw. Then you can easily route the USB cable to your choice of mounting location. I found a rather nice one that requires no modifications at all to the dash as pictured below. Wedging in the USB connector in the space between the console and wheel column provides a surprisingly stable mount, most likely due to the fact the device is so light. It's both highly viewable, allows for easy configuration and is very stable. Using the space between the movable wheel column also makes hiding the USB cable a sinch, all you see of the USB cable is the connector on the access port.

Another option would be to get a long USB cable and route it along the center console where you could bring it in to the drivers storage between the seats, a nice place if all you want to do is grab the ocassional data dump.

Appologies for the blur, it's pitch dark under here. The ODBII connector unfortunately faces the wrong way, but a tie wrap can easily fix that.

Above the fuse box is a nice place to get the dongle out of the way and secure it with a tie wrap.

Lastly a graph made showing RPM/AFR on the stage 1 map on my car. 14.5 idle with 12. 2 in the power range would appear to be pretty close to right on. It appears the AFR reading peaks at 20 and 10, never a reading above or below, I'm not sure if that's the AP or the ECU. This is an under load WOT, the valleys are gear changes. The car was in DS mode.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 12-27-2008 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:52 PM
chamelieon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im guessing every line on the "seconds" part of the graph is an actual second? also which gear did you do this in? good job on the mounting part.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:47 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's an AP second which judging by the numbers isn't quite a second but close at about .8 seconds. This wasn't a 0 to 60 burn run, as you can see by this graph I had just taken a corner from 0 and after getting up to about 15 mph or so floored it for 90% WOT, looks like we're not quiet getting 100% throttle with Stage 1. By then I was probably in 2nd gear.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 12-26-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Cuda760

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice hook Up...I found a different method for mounting the Cobb AP....check it out.

Run the USB cord behind the steering wheel bottom cover and force the cord through the opening under the steering wheel. Wrap the cord under the dash and zip tie the extra cord. Leave just enough cord to come down from under the dash and into the dongle.

Last edited by Cuda760; 12-28-2008 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Added Pics