Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Review Cobb Access Port

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 09:41 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cobb Access Port

Thought I'd write up my experience with the AP. Delivery wasn't fast, it took 1xtuningshop.com a week and a half since the item wasn't in stock. I can't complain too much since together with their $623 price and 20% off from MS Cashback meant I got it for $499 shipped.

I started out by upgrading to the latest firmware which took about 15 mins, longer then I thought a device like this should take but not a big deal. I then took it out to the car and followed the instructions and elected to save my original ECU programming where I encountered my first bit of disappointment by a warning this is going to take 30 mins..geez. Oh well wtf, I want my stock programming so put it in AC ON, dimmed everything I could and started the download. After about 3 mins I realized I'm not going to be sitting here for 30m and decided to get out. As soon as I opened the door the lights came on, and when leaving the seat a very quiet audible tone sounded which I figured both would eventually go off after closing the door and giving it a few seconds. Not so, I had to turn the lights off and was unable to dim the dash again and only by sitting in the seat could I get the tone to silence. Figuring it's not that much of a drain I let it go with dash lights and tone.

I entered the car again as it completed the download and proceeded on to the flash of Stage 1. Second disappointment was how long it takes to flash, I didn't get a watch out but it's like 15 min.. I was expecting 5 min max. I'm not going to be sitting in a valet for 15 mins flashing my car or using the anti-theft at airport parking with this long a wait. I know whaa whaa, it's probably a limit to how fast an ECU can be programmed and if so nothing you can do about it.. if not definately room for improvement here.

ECU reset follows the flash, the device clearly walks you through the process... flash completed. Fired the car up, and went into monitor to verify communications, all seems to be working fine. Turing on data logging is easy enough, a selection menu allows you to pick what's logged and with that set I was ready to go. Crusied out for a couple miles to let it warm up and then stomped on it. OMFG!!!! The engine even sounded a bit different. I thought my butt meter was broken, the AP definately fixed that.. the car pulls like it's possessed. Huge sigh of relief since the primary reason for buying it was confirmed worth the expense by my indent in the seat.

Loading up the manager software was a bit unimpressive but hey it does the job of allowing you to load maps and download the data log. My last area of disappointment was that my original stock map is not listed. I would like to have the option of being able to load that but it looks like uninstalling the device is the only way that could be done. Yes you could load the stock map COBB provides, I'll have to verify it has the 500RPM braking fix applied and if so that would work. Overall I'm happy with the purchase and look forward to new maps and hopefully finding a COBB certified tuner in my area.

Rather small and light.

Trim level to know which map to download.

Monitor page

Monitor page

Top half of Data points selection page

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 12-19-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:03 PM
RedG37SNC

I forgot to mention the dongle cable deal. It really is somewhat of a pain to leave this in the car. The dongle hangs down far enough with cable to be in the way even though they did include a cable that allows it to be positioned at a 90 degree angle. The connector itself is not a very secure connection but then that's not COBB's fault... it's too bad we aren't using USB here or that Infiniti didn't put the OBD II connector on the passenger side. Still a different dongle design with a connector linked to 8" of cable and then dongle circritry would allow you to fasten it under the dash with less impact to your leg room. The lighter ODB II connector to a cable versus the dongle body would also stay attached better and not as easily bumped off by road bumps.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:16 PM
willizm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good review man. So basically the thing has some nuances, but when it comes to performance it can be felt. You only loaded stage 1?
Old 12-18-2008, 10:29 PM
RedG37SNC

Yea, I don't have HFCs and probably won't get them since it would push my exhaust into drone. After this experience I may find myself with cash to burn and the need for more speed some months from now and decide to go with a different exhaust although I keep telling myself, I'm just after great looks, great sound, and a bit of extra bump.. after all I'm not tracking the car and so far I'm where I wanted to be.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 12-18-2008 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:59 PM
RedG37SNC

Wala... just fixed the ODB II cable problem, just get an extender! Use the extender to allow for Zip tying the dongle under the dash and route the usb cable and use velcro to mount it on the left side dash where the washi is.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 12-18-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:01 PM
G37Rider92649
Banned

So you're on stage 1. Just put mine on Stage 1 two days ago, I freaking Love it! Smoooth too Btw just curious, What's your air/fuel reading at wide open throttle? If you checked..

in the future, just have a few beers while waiting, it really isnt that bad though
Old 12-18-2008, 11:49 PM
RedG37SNC

Looks like it's in the 12 range. The ECU was just reset and I didn't let it run for more then a few minutes before gathering this data, mostly did it to check out the process.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:54 PM
EVO-to-G

dammit...i want my ap...sh*t's taking forever to come in. im pissed. im dynoing the car on sunday wen i put my gen 3's in and i was supposed to do the ap then too but i dont think it will be in by then
Old 12-19-2008, 01:28 AM
561g37

got my headers and hfc on now just wating 4 the ap 2 come in the mail looking forward 2 it
Old 12-19-2008, 12:58 PM
RedG37SNC

Added pics to original post.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:14 PM
G37Rider92649
Banned

Ahhhh reading reviews, i just got in my car, found an excuse to go somewhere, gun it back up and down the street then came home
Old 12-19-2008, 04:29 PM
G35_TX
Premier Member

Just a FYI, my UPREV programming only took about 2-3 minutes to upload and it was done.

The download of my ECU was about the same also to my laptop. The ECU can transfer it fast. That device is probably what is slow not the ECU.

After having my HR tuned by UPREV, it also sounds different and stronger no doubt. The car sounds deeper I think, and I can hear AIR gushing more now (yes weird just hard to explain).
Old 12-19-2008, 06:39 PM
RedG37SNC

Thanks that's good to know it can take an update faster.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:28 PM
G37Rider92649
Banned

Originally Posted by G35_TX
Just a FYI, my UPREV programming only took about 2-3 minutes to upload and it was done.

The download of my ECU was about the same also to my laptop. The ECU can transfer it fast. That device is probably what is slow not the ECU.

After having my HR tuned by UPREV, it also sounds different and stronger no doubt. The car sounds deeper I think, and I can hear AIR gushing more now (yes weird just hard to explain).
Correct me if I'm wrong, Uprev is a software used with a laptop going into your obdII etc. and a tuner sitting there tuning it. Of course it's going to load faster, comparing it to a little pocket console that comes with Cobb Uprev is nice though, all the g35s and 350z use it for NA, but im going to try a different route for fun.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:33 PM
chris9012

nice review damn you have me scared with tanabes going into drone with hfc's. i just ordered tanabes and have berks

Quick Reply: Review Cobb Access Port