Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

So the 370Z already has engine overheat issue like our G37

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 09:42 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iv never tracked a car, but i do track my bike often. I can tell you from personal experience that the engines/brakes/clutches/tires are exposed to such extremes that there is no way any roads can recreate. (i cant speak about canyons in the cali/arizona areas). [just imagine ***** to the wall no speed limits/law enforcement/or female texters to veer into your lane]

-that being said, today its 103 degrees in NJ- and sitting in nyc traffic or the traffic that will congest the parkway in about 5-hours (morons heading to the jersey-shore to hopefully catch a glimpse of the snookie-ape) will expose their cars for 2-3hours in almost standstill traffic. that alone can send your oil temps into very high ranges- and if your still using conventional oil, that can happen even quicker.

-im actually in the process of looking for an oil cooler to install into my G. not to ever track my car, but i dont like not having it due to the serious engine damage that can result, and my oil's viscosity breaking down.
(and to the person that stated his temp needle doesnt move: these needles are made to accept a wide variety of temps without actually moving. imagine if it moved every 25-50degrees? you'd have millions of 'blinker fluid' morons running to the dealer claiming the car was over heating)

anyone have any input:
13 ROW OIL COOLER KIT UNIVERSAL / ENGINE OIL COOLER KIT | eBay
Old 07-22-2011, 10:09 AM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 07-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Fentress24

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1NEETO
haha that is great
Old 07-22-2011, 10:35 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

ehh, figured it could use a refreshing lol....
Old 07-22-2011, 10:40 AM
pauliewalnutzz
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ImStricken
iv never tracked a car, but i do track my bike often. I can tell you from personal experience that the engines/brakes/clutches/tires are exposed to such extremes that there is no way any roads can recreate. (i cant speak about canyons in the cali/arizona areas). [just imagine ***** to the wall no speed limits/law enforcement/or female texters to veer into your lane]

-that being said, today its 103 degrees in NJ- and sitting in nyc traffic or the traffic that will congest the parkway in about 5-hours (morons heading to the jersey-shore to hopefully catch a glimpse of the snookie-ape) will expose their cars for 2-3hours in almost standstill traffic. that alone can send your oil temps into very high ranges- and if your still using conventional oil, that can happen even quicker.

-im actually in the process of looking for an oil cooler to install into my G. not to ever track my car, but i dont like not having it due to the serious engine damage that can result, and my oil's viscosity breaking down.
(and to the person that stated his temp needle doesnt move: these needles are made to accept a wide variety of temps without actually moving. imagine if it moved every 25-50degrees? you'd have millions of 'blinker fluid' morons running to the dealer claiming the car was over heating)

anyone have any input:
I have no problem woth you bumping old topics if you say something like that
Old 07-22-2011, 10:43 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by pauliewalnutzz
I have no problem woth you bumping old topics if you say something like that
ok maybe not an ape, but more of that baby from the dinosaurs show lol

Old 07-22-2011, 10:56 AM
pauliewalnutzz
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
ok maybe not an ape, but more of that baby from the dinosaurs show lol

Lmfaoo but everytime i go on that damn parkway on a friday saturday or sunday theres always loads of traffic just because their going to the "shore" Back on topic, I was looking at the gtm's oil coolers GTM Motorsports Search results
Old 07-22-2011, 11:01 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
IDK about over heating but The heat coming through my floor has been crazy hot, Plus the smell of HOT antifrzze/ Tranny fluid when you get out of the car, :/
Old 07-22-2011, 11:32 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
IDK about over heating but The heat coming through my floor has been crazy hot, Plus the smell of HOT antifrzze/ Tranny fluid when you get out of the car, :/
you might have a tiny hairline crack in your radiator. it might be just releasing a tiny bit of fluid, enough to smell it- but not so much to see it (i just had this last week on my 2002 maxima, and i replaced my radiator last night after work. same symptoms as you- and when i pulled my radiator i see a tiny hairline crack under the intake pipe.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:36 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

well you can imagine that same heat is effecting your oil pan which is much closer to the exhaust pipes than your feet are.

(i had a similar situation in my patrol car; "went off-roading" rather fast, bottomed out that POS crown-vic, and somehow pushed the exhausted pipes closer to the floorboard. well after a few days, the floor actually started to melt the rubber floor mats, and eventually started melting the shoe shine on my shoes(small globs by the sole stitching). i started to feel the heat in my boots, and smelled burning rubber- wasnt fun lol..
Old 07-22-2011, 12:18 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

anyone have any input:
Have you hit limp mode? If not, then you're fine.

You're not gonna hit limp mode sitting in 100 degree weather idling. Gotta be in 125+ (courtesy of our gulf spec owners).
Old 07-22-2011, 12:29 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

you might have a tiny hairline crack in your radiator. it might be just releasing a tiny bit of fluid, enough to smell it- but not so much to see it (i just had this last week on my 2002 maxima, and i replaced my radiator last night after work. same symptoms as you- and when i pulled my radiator i see a tiny hairline crack under the intake pipe.

I wish it was that easy.. - had the same thing on my 08G35XS and my wifes G37X Sedan has the same smell. :/..
Old 07-22-2011, 12:38 PM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mike
Have you hit limp mode? If not, then you're fine.

You're not gonna hit limp mode sitting in 100 degree weather idling. Gotta be in 125+ (courtesy of our gulf spec owners).
well its officially 105 here so far; and its still not 125, but im not willing to risk it.
high ambient heat causes not only faster oil degradation, but puts stress on the radiator(tanks), but most importantly the crankshaft, bearings, camshaft, lifters, connecting rods and pistons and other area's that are not getting the cooling they need, since they are only cooled by engine oil.
Oil Coolers can reduce the oil temperature to between 180°F to 200°F and hold it steadily. on many conditions oil coolers can drop temps by 20-40 degrees.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:42 PM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

I wish it was that easy.. - had the same thing on my 08G35XS and my wifes G37X Sedan has the same smell. :/..
neither car's had coolant loss??

idk man, if you can smell it- its been released somewhere some how. try and find it. pop your hood and see if you see dried white (looks like tried winter road salt) splashed anywhere under the hood.
crawl underneath and take down your splash shield, and see if you see green wet stuff, or that dried salt look. - that would tell you right off the bat your leaking.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:47 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

neither car's had coolant loss??

idk man, if you can smell it- its been released somewhere some how. try and find it. pop your hood and see if you see dried white (looks like tried winter road salt) splashed anywhere under the hood.
crawl underneath and take down your splash shield, and see if you see green wet stuff, or that dried salt look. - that would tell you right off the bat your leaking.

Did that,, Coolant and Tranny fluid is still full. I check all over the place last weekend when I cleaned my Stillen filters, Not a drop anywhere? Weird man.. But like I said all three of my cars have had this issue, Could smell it but not wet anywhere and not losing any fluid.

Quick Reply: So the 370Z already has engine overheat issue like our G37