Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Vq35hr-tt

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 04:53 PM
AZg37
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mike@riverside
Please keep in mind that VDC is fully functional with this setup, and IMO, works rather well. I did so some pulls with VDC on in high boost, and there was no wheelspin other than from shifts.

The car is a 5AT with valve body and clutch pack upgrades.
I understand VDC works with the set-up, that was my point i was trying to make. The only way to get smooth acceleration or not just burn your tires off is with VDC. When it was suggested this set-up would run low 11's, I said no way. VDC in conjunction with TCS automatically adjusts brake pressure and engine TQ, which will not allow the car to make 1/4 runs as quickly as they could with VDC off, and a set of slicks for traction. Now with the set-up I just mentioned, I don't think the car ever would handle the HP and TQ increase. The drive train just couldn't do it. The whole point I was trying to make was that this set-up is super sick, but if you are trying to build a G that can go low 11's, you need a lot more then this package.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:57 PM
AZg37
Premier Member

Originally Posted by terrycs
Sorry, no clutch packs, just VB and trans cooler.
Hey terry, In my experience, the VB swap made daily driving a lot less comfortable, with shifts being way less smooth, and more hard, kinda just slamming you into gears when you were driving normal, and especially bad in city driving and coming to a stop. I asked GTM about this, because with a 5AT, this mod is a must if you go FI, and they said yes, it would indeed be an uncomfortable ride for normal daily/city drives. In your opinion, is it that bad? How is it on a normal city commute, and how are the downshifts when slowing down for a red light or something?
Old 12-15-2008, 09:06 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
The VB upgrade doesn't affect daily driving at all; the pressure in the lines arn't high enough when you arn't flooring it to slam shifts.

The VDC/TCS is adaptive; I'm not sure if it's adaptive enough to adapt to DRs, but they certainly do adapt rather remarkably to lower-performance-than-OEM tires quite well, so it may do well with higher performance tires as well.

Every modded AT car I drive just reinforces more and more that my decision to get an AT G was the right decision; almost all the other cars I have owned have been MT.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:15 PM
AZg37
Premier Member

i dunno, in my experience, when I swapped VB's to a performance oriented one that can handle increased power it greatly changed driving comfort. I just dont understand why GTM would tell me the VB upgrade I would need with the kit will indeed change driving comfort, when you say it doesn't at all
Old 12-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Jumpin800agl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is the whp number on the 9 psi map? As a reference there are 350z guys running 11.1's with slicks and 480whp. A G37 with around 500whp might be able to run somewhat close to that maybe mid 11's depending on driver. just a guess though.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:48 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jumpin800agl
what is the whp number on the 9 psi map? As a reference there are 350z guys running 11.1's with slicks and 480whp. A G37 with around 500whp might be able to run somewhat close to that maybe mid 11's depending on driver. just a guess though.
About 470 at around 9 psi. I might take it for a pass on the quarter mile one day, but no way on slicks.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:20 AM
Jumpin800agl

Originally Posted by terrycs
About 470 at around 9 psi. I might take it for a pass on the quarter mile one day, but no way on slicks.
nice numbers and very nice sedan.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:08 AM
terrycs
Registered Member

Originally Posted by AZg37
Hey terry, In my experience, the VB swap made daily driving a lot less comfortable, with shifts being way less smooth, and more hard, kinda just slamming you into gears when you were driving normal, and especially bad in city driving and coming to a stop. I asked GTM about this, because with a 5AT, this mod is a must if you go FI, and they said yes, it would indeed be an uncomfortable ride for normal daily/city drives. In your opinion, is it that bad? How is it on a normal city commute, and how are the downshifts when slowing down for a red light or something?
I've been driving around in rush hour traffic with no issues in both D and DS modes. It up shifts and down shifts as if it were stock. My wife and son rode with me in the car and both thought the car felt and shifted normally.

I have noticed on one occasion that in the M mode, the 2-1 shift happened kind of early making for a rough downshift. In this mode, I usually let the car shift down by itself, but I have to experiment with it more to see if I can get it to happen again.

I've also noticed that in D mode and driving slow, the transmission shifts earlier than I like. Driving around town feels smoother to me in DS mode.

There is a BIG difference when the RPM revs up and the transmission line pressure increases .... the shift are remarkably faster. The best way to describe it is like making a high RPM shift in an MT and popping the clutch.

Last edited by terrycs; 12-16-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:14 AM
terrycs
Registered Member

i dunno, in my experience, when I swapped VB's to a performance oriented one that can handle increased power it greatly changed driving comfort. I just dont understand why GTM would tell me the VB upgrade I would need with the kit will indeed change driving comfort, when you say it doesn't at all
It could possibly have something to do with the mods I have vs a totally stock car with just VB upgrade. Maybe even more or less exhaust backpressure?
Old 12-16-2008, 10:22 AM
terrycs
Registered Member

Dude what

11's maybe less?? really??

The GTR is quoted at 483HP, and has a sophisticated all-wheel drive system and launch control and runs about an 11.7 1/4 mile.

IMO, Theres no way a car like this, running this set-up could ever break lower without A) more modifications, or B) busting major components trying to reach those times.

You can see in the vid that traction is just damn near impossible. With VDC on, 1/4 times would be reduced. If you add slicks or DR, the drive train wouldn't hold up. The tranny isn't even built to handle that load in a racing environment. Adding a tranny cooler and valve body isn't sifficient if you are trying to race the car. You need internals, and more mods to the drivetrain. Don't get me wrong, this kit is sick, the car is sick, and the speed is insane, but a GTR is built to race, has launch control and all-wheel drive. When taking a car that was built to drive from point A to point B safely, quickly, and reliably, then doubling it's HP, you must change all aspects to make it reliable on the track. I'm talking tranny, suspension, rear end etc.. This is just an insane, roided daily driver. This car can't beat the GTR without additional mods, or expensive fixes do to beating the crap outta it. Thats my .02.
I personally saw a mustang cobra with mods and added boost try 1 run at a track with slicks, when the slicks caught, and the TQ/HP hit, he left his rear end all over the track. People don't understand that gains like that effect ALL aspects of the car, especially if you are racing.
True the G35 drive train is very tough for what it is as it is also used in the FX's, but it is not meant for drag racing all the time. But then again, neither is the GTR, the Corvette or even a Porsche. The GTR has a very cool launch control feature, but from what I've heard, they void the transmission warranty if it is used.

Fact of the matter is any car that is being drag raced all the time will show accelerated drive train wear and tear. All we can do to mitigate this is build up the drive train. But for the hard core guys, there is no difference in cost preventing failure vs fix the failure when it happens. For poor guys like me, we minimize drag racing.

Last edited by terrycs; 12-16-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:28 AM
terrycs
Registered Member

Originally Posted by bfranks
And almost doubles if you actually want it installed
You guys will be surprised at pricing soon to be announced. I've heard it will go down to around 11K to 12K because new tuning options are now available that weren't when my car was done.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:27 PM
w0ady

awesome info guys. ive really been looking forward to see your car running well terry. especially with the auto tranny. im looking forward to my 7at and its nice to hear saving up for a tt is well worth it.

oh and for the guys with the gt-r comparison (i love the car) but its only a mid-12 second car without the launch control. stock block f/i vq cars can do that.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Tainui

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bump for updates. Any further notes on normal driving? Habits? Quirks? Issues?
Old 03-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Talked to the owner of the car last week and he said he loves it Not one regret.

I'm jealous.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:45 AM
Sam@GTM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
Posted per Gamedog's request.

I had the opportunity to drive TerryCS's car about half an hour ago.

[TEASER]

I can sum it up in 1 word.

OMGWTFBBQ.

This is unlike any turbo car I've driven before. I've been in 600whp Supras, 500whp STIs, 480whp S2000, reflashed 335s, vipers, z06s, etc. I knew it wouldn't be the typical lag lag lag lag lag lag WOOOOAH feeling of a typical low compression high boost car. Realistically, I was expecting it to feel close to the turboed s2k. Smooth power, with a small surge of power as the turbos spooled.

Boy, was I wrong.

It felt... stock. I drove around normal. It felt stock. It didn't even feel or sound like a fast car. Then I floored it. Other than really crisp shifts, the car felt.... stock. There was no increase in power. Okay, cool. Maybe the boost is off. At least the car looks and sounds cool.

Then it dawned on me. This car is going through gears faster than the 7AT does. I'd been used to faster gears since the 7AT gearing is rather agressive on the first two, but this was different.

I went again. Redline first. Redline second. My eyes were pinned on the speedo; it was moving at the pace a stock G would be going from 40-60 in second gear. Except I was in third. 70, 80, 90, 100. 110. No Fvcking way. I'm in 4th gear, and the acceleration STILL isn't decreasing.

Then Terry tells me "You gotta do it with VDC off. It's way faster. Oh, and it's on the lowest boost setting."

[/TEASER]

Impressions.

The car is incredible. I've driven high boost cars. This does NOT feel like one. It retains every bit of power a stock G has. The turbo spool is SO smooth and fast that... I really have no idea when it spools. I was paying attention to specifically try to see when it spools, but without looking at readouts, I wouldn't be able to tell. It's power on demand. The 335 has minimal lag. This has NO lag. Remember, even NA, this motor's power rivals that of the 335 under boost. A NA 335 has less power than a 328.

The tranny shifts like stock. Normal driving? Normal shifting. Normal driving in DS? Normal DS shifting. WOT? The thing shifts like you're powershifting a MT. Except it's built to do that, and its a HECK of a lot smoother. DSG/SMG/SST has nothing on this slushbox. Hell, you can't even call it a slushbox anymore.

Infiniti, you need to be listening. A TT VQ37HR is in order from the factory.

I want a G37TT. I'll be first in line to buy one.

Oh, and even though I know 9psi is faster than 5, I couldn't FEEL a difference. It's that smooth.

Hell, if I didn't see the FMIC and didn't know it was boosted, I'd think this was just another G sedan with an exhaust.

Videos to come later. I'm off at 9 and I don't have a card reader on me.

Terry

VIDEOS:

First try...

This run was shut down to to excessive wheelspin.

5 PSI.

Attempt #4.

After... like 8 tries, success!

1st Gear: me feathering the throttle; I'm fighting to keep traction, and I'm not an experienced drag racer, but I'm staying around 60% or so.

2nd gear: about 80-85% throttle

3rd gear is when I get to finally open it up 100%

Oh, and still 5 PSI.

This car is tuned for up to ~9 psi boost....
I' Really Surprise you are considering a supercharger after you have been in this machine

Sam

Last edited by Sam@GTM; 04-10-2010 at 04:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Vq35hr-tt