Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

should i use the vvell easter oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 10:06 PM
DPE_G35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
should i use the vvell easter oil?

my oil change is due for next month and ive been getting those knocking sounds, but my question is if the vvell easter oil really works? or should i just stick to the regular oil change? im on syntheic.

thanks
Old 11-27-2008, 12:12 AM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i had that knocking sound awhile ago but taken care of with ester oil and ecu reflash. so far no knocking. you should use the ester oil
Old 11-27-2008, 02:22 AM
DPE_G35

Thanks for the info, and the knocking noise that your refering to almost sounds like a truck diesel engine right?
Old 11-27-2008, 09:31 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
so are you guys paying extra for the ester oil? And if yes why? The service manual says 5W-30 oil. So why should I have to pay more for oil to fix an issue with a car that is under warranty? Infiniti seems to be getting of easy on this issue. It has not happened to me but if it does I will not be paying extra for an oil change. For an issue that they need to fix
Old 11-27-2008, 10:46 AM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DPE_G35
Thanks for the info, and the knocking noise that your refering to almost sounds like a truck diesel engine right?
i'm not sure if it sounds like a diesel truck. the noise will come if the car get's really hot especially with the ac running. dealer fixed it under warranty but had to pay $5 bucks for the loaner or whatever it is.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:45 AM
notalk

Read the other posts about the European Patent Application for this oil and the Infiniti Technical paper dealing with the diamond-like valve coating and the ester oil. Then, make up your own mind. (I could tell you what I decided, but you might think differently.)

Per the TSB, if you complain about the knocking, the dealer is supposed to read your software version. If not the latest software version, then the dealer is supposed to update to the latest software version and perform an ester oil change. I have no idea if you request no ester oil change whether the dealer could perform the TSB without doing the ester oil change.

i had that knocking sound awhile ago but taken care of with ester oil and ecu reflash. so far no knocking. you should use the ester oil
Question for Weiboy718 about your quoted post, why should he use the oil? Do you have any support that the reflash without the ester oil might not also reset the valve timing and you absolutely need the ester oil to make the knock go away? What if the reflash alone is all that is needed? What if the ester oil really didn't do anything about the valve mistiming? Just so you know, I had the original TSB performed before the modification requiring the ester oil change, and mine has been just fine on conventional 5W-30 (Valvoline) since then for 6,000 miles.

Last edited by notalk; 11-27-2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:41 PM
carlsbadgn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had the knocking/tapping on cold engine start up for some time (car has 5000 miles). After the engine runs about 30 seconds, the noise goes away. Last week, the local Infiniti dealer changed oil and added the ester oil, then flashed the ECU. The car still taps during cold starts.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:38 PM
07BlackG35Stud

Originally Posted by carlsbadgn
I've had the knocking/tapping on cold engine start up for some time (car has 5000 miles). After the engine runs about 30 seconds, the noise goes away. Last week, the local Infiniti dealer changed oil and added the ester oil, then flashed the ECU. The car still taps during cold starts.
+1 ... mine behaves the exact same way, 6600 miles on the clock. I always wondered what this is...because most people complain about the noise when the car has fully warmed up!
Old 11-28-2008, 10:52 AM
notalk

Originally Posted by carlsbadgn
After the engine runs about 30 seconds, the noise goes away.
That's exactly why the owner's manual says to let the car idle for 30 seconds after a cold start. Page 5-11.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:12 PM
jeffyb

I wish I knew the answer to this. This whole situation actually has me fairly pissed off, if I knew infinity was recommending oil that would cost $12-$17 per quart as a "fix" for engine noise I would have seriously reconsidered buying the car.

I don't have the noise yet, but my first oil change is coming up and I'm really unsure what to do . Nobody really seems to know if these esters are necessary, or what synthetics have enough of a ester additive. From all that I've read Royal Purple users don't seem to be having issues with the knock.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:15 PM
todd92

I don't have any noise and I wouldn't use Infiniti's ester oil if I did. I wouldn't use it under ANY circumstance. Perfectly happy using Mobil 1.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:21 PM
notalk

Originally Posted by jeffyb
I wish I knew the answer to this. This whole situation actually has me fairly pissed off, if I knew infinity was recommending oil that would cost $12-$17 per quart as a "fix" for engine noise I would have seriously reconsidered buying the car.

I don't have the noise yet, but my first oil change is coming up and I'm really unsure what to do . Nobody really seems to know if these esters are necessary, or what synthetics have enough of a ester additive. From all that I've read Royal Purple users don't seem to be having issues with the knock.
Actually, all the people who read Nissan's European Patent Application and VVEL Techinical paper DO know what to do. They know the "purpose" of Nissan's Ester oil. They know the Nissan Ester oil additives not found elsewhere (which, actually, aren't esters) and what these additives might do. They also know whether the claimed benefits might be obtained by using other oils or, if not, if using the Nissan Ester oil is even "worth it", at least to them.

Last edited by notalk; 11-28-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:09 PM
jeffyb

Originally Posted by notalk
Actually, all the people who read Nissan's European Patent Application and VVEL Techinical paper DO know what to do. They know the "purpose" of Nissan's Ester oil. They know the Nissan Ester oil additives not found elsewhere (which, actually, aren't esters) and what these additives might do. They also know whether the claimed benefits might be obtained by using other oils or, if not, if using the Nissan Ester oil is even "worth it", at least to them.
I don't know , I've read the thread on the patent and it still doesn't help me know what oil to use. Not all of us really know that much about the technical aspects of oil so it's a bit overwhelming. After using Mobil 1 for 10 years without even thinking about it it's kind of frustrating having to either pay out the butt, or not have 100% piece of mind that the VVEL won't be harmed. I've never been put in a situation where a manufacturer is highly recomending an overpriced OEM oil that they manufacture, so from a non mechanic / gearhead perspective it's pretty enraging.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:56 PM
notalk

Originally Posted by jeffyb
I don't know , I've read the thread on the patent and it still doesn't help me know what oil to use. Not all of us really know that much about the technical aspects of oil so it's a bit overwhelming. After using Mobil 1 for 10 years without even thinking about it it's kind of frustrating having to either pay out the butt, or not have 100% piece of mind that the VVEL won't be harmed. I've never been put in a situation where a manufacturer is highly recomending an overpriced OEM oil that they manufacture, so from a non mechanic / gearhead perspective it's pretty enraging.
My suggestion was to read the actual European Patent Application and the Infiniti Technical paper, not just the thread on them.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:26 PM
jeffyb

Originally Posted by notalk
My suggestion was to read the actual European Patent Application and the Infiniti Technical paper, not just the thread on them.
I did that too, a bunch of **** about nanoparticle coating etc etc. The thing is, I don't know how any of that differs from a nice synthetic oil like Royal Purple. Besides, if so many people "know", why is there no real definitive information on the subjective. If there's so many smart people "in the know" why won't anyone give a simple is this necessary y/n answer

Quick Reply: should i use the vvell easter oil?