Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

should i use the vvell easter oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by finagle69
no no, i said additional 45 dollars... on top of the normal 40 or whatever.
Oh ok got ya!

I think Nissan should honestly make a price adjustment here.

At least a representative cuting the s**t and setting it straight on what alternative oils are available to the consumer to use that will resolve this entire problem.

I'll never be happy with the purchase of a new expensive car that makes noise like some old piece o s**t car.

Thats why it goes to the dealer and often, even if the door squeaks!
Dealerships in general have always hated me
Old 12-03-2008, 12:32 PM
notalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FiremanJ
bottom line... it doesn't fix the problem, i had it done and now the knocking is back.
There have been a number of posts where the update may not have been done properly or completely. Take your car back to the dealer and have them read the software version. If not the latest, have them update the software. Before they give the car back to you, have them read the software version and make sure it is the latest one. If not, they did not properly or completely update the software.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:57 PM
FiremanJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's going back on monday. i will do that. thank you
Old 12-03-2008, 07:55 PM
weave

I had mine flashed but they did not change my oil....I have been and am still running Mobil One with no issues.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:51 PM
notalk

Originally Posted by Xcaliper
At least a representative cuting the s**t and setting it straight on what alternative oils are available to the consumer to use that will resolve this entire problem.
Okay, let's try this one more time, in case you, or others, never bothered to read any of the factual information on the Nissan Ester oil.

According to the European Patent Application and the Infiniti VVEL Technical paper, the Nissan Ester oil is the only oil which contains a carbon-based additive to reduce friction with the diamond-like carbon coating on the VVEL valve stems. "Only" means there are no alternative oils available.

Nowhere in any of Nissan's or Infiniti's statements does it ever say use of the Nissan Ester oil "will resolve this entire problem".
Old 12-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by notalk
Okay, let's try this one more time, in case you, or others, never bothered to read any of the factual information on the Nissan Ester oil.

According to the European Patent Application and the Infiniti VVEL Technical paper, the Nissan Ester oil is the only oil which contains a carbon-based additive to reduce friction with the diamond-like carbon coating on the VVEL valve stems. "Only" means there are no alternative oils available.

Nowhere in any of Nissan's or Infiniti's statements does it ever say use of the Nissan Ester oil "will resolve this entire problem".

I read it.

And My Mechanic and the Delership Service Manager (Miami Florida - Infiniti SouthMotors.com) said we put regular oil in all the g37 cars default on oil change.

I asked if it was the ester base oil and they said no. And after that he followed up saying you do not need the ester oil. Its only used for the noise issue. Although we recommend it. But you dont need it. He even recommended Mobil1 since they stock it.

The Mechanic told me you dont need it. Underlined. But.. some here are saying the noise hasnt gone away.

For me Im at 3,744 miles going to Dealership tomrrow for first Service.
My car has never made that noise from day one. But I was told because my car came with the ester oil so on next oil change tomrrow I was going to go with Eneos, but no local dealer has it in stock. So for the last time I will go with the Ester base oil and next 2,000 miles I'll go over to Eneos.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:53 PM
t-bone1924

Excuse me, I did read the link you so kindly posted to the European Patent Application by Nissan. My question is how do YOU know that this particular patent application has ANYTHING to do with Nissan Ester Oil P/N 999MP-5W30EP, which is the topic of this discussion? Or have you just assumed that it is?

Did I miss something in reading that patent application?

Please enlighten me. And btw, what are your credentials to pontificate on this subject, at length, while castigating other forum members in the process?
Old 12-04-2008, 07:24 PM
notalk

Originally Posted by t-bone1924
Excuse me, I did read the link you so kindly posted to the European Patent Application by Nissan. My question is how do YOU know that this particular patent application has ANYTHING to do with Nissan Ester Oil P/N 999MP-5W30EP, which is the topic of this discussion? Or have you just assumed that it is?

Did I miss something in reading that patent application?

Please enlighten me. And btw, what are your credentials to pontificate on this subject, at length, while castigating other forum members in the process?
I am sorry if you thought I was "castigating" you. I realize it is easier to just read what others post, whether their posts have any factual background or not, and it is easier to ask questions or jump to conclusions without doing the research. The remark was intended for those who chose to let others do the work rather than research and think for themselves. If you are suggesting I should shut up and let people follow incomplete or incorrect advice, you might be right. Thank you for reading the reference documents.

The claims in the patent application are repeated in the Infiniti VVEL Technical paper. Nissan's original announcement of the Ester oil referred to a patent application. The description of the oil in the Technical paper is the same as the oil described in the patent application. (The person who directed me to these two documents is an Infiniti employee who told me the European Patent Application is for the Ester oil.)

My "credentials" are an engineering background, a legal background, a participant in a number of automotive related patents (all U.S.), although none oil/lubricant related, and more than 35 years of vehicle manufacturer (including Factory racing) experience, again, none oil related. I have communicated with a few oil company engineers I know about this Ester oil, the European Patent Application and VVEL Technical paper.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:55 PM
t-bone1924

The claims in the patent application are repeated in the Infiniti VVEL Technical paper. Nissan's original announcement of the Ester oil referred to a patent application. The description of the oil in the Technical paper is the same as the oil described in the patent application. (The person who directed me to these two documents is an Infiniti employee who told me the European Patent Application is for the Ester oil.)
Perhaps you can post a link to this mysterious "Infiniti VVEL Technical paper"?

Based on what you have said above, you can't absolutely conclude that the two are one in the same; you are basically relying on heresay by some unknown "Infiniti employee".

As far as your credentials, I thought that you might be a lawyer--no lawyer joke intended
Old 01-17-2010, 12:14 PM
juicybusa

I've asked this question before without a satisfactory answer-if the Nissan Ester oil is so unique in it's formulation and performance why was the patent application denied?
Old 01-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Redline37
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey guys. If you still haven't found a fix to the knocking noise, try using eneos 5w-30. It WILL get rid of the knocking noise.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:15 PM
JonfromCB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffyb
I did that too, a bunch of **** about nanoparticle coating etc etc. The thing is, I don't know how any of that differs from a nice synthetic oil like Royal Purple. Besides, if so many people "know", why is there no real definitive information on the subjective. If there's so many smart people "in the know" why won't anyone give a simple is this necessary y/n answer
While I agree that would be nice...the answer is NO...it's not
necessary....There is alot of quantified and verifiable information
on what, why and how....yet there is even more opininated
negative remarks from folks who are trying to justify and validate
their beliefs or just claiming that what they've always used is
Just as good and everyone else is stupid....some things
never change. Some just won't bother to embrace the
new technology, so they insult it. While many others
are already over-their-heads with cars they bought
and probably couldn't afford so they show their hate
towards the $12/quart oil that is recommended for it.

I'ts really this simple....Nissan developed a nitrogen free, carbon
impregnated coating that allows them to use newer parts
designs that generate more heat than previously possible.
Nissan also developed a specific oil that uses nano-particles similar to the ones in their DLC that togeather with their DLC coating, greatly reduce valve train friction in middle RPM range....up to 20% reducation.

Their oil improved NISSANS Fleet mileage numbers and reduced CAFE
pollutent numbers....not hard to understand at all.
You just need to decide if it's worth it to you to use it. If you plan
to drive your car 100K and Nissan oil gets you 1.5 extra miles/per
gallon, their oil will save you about 400 gallons of fuel @ $3/gallon
equals $1200 savings per 100K miles of driving ...now you just
have to decide if the extra oil cost is worth it and if you're
car will last that long without it.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:42 PM
JonfromCB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by juicybusa
I've asked this question before without a satisfactory answer-if the Nissan Ester oil is so unique in it's formulation and performance why was the patent application denied?
Juicy, If you read "the definitive oil thread" on this board you'll find
answers and references to almost all these questions and more.
....way too much to get into here, but I assure you I did
many hours of research (for myself) and shared it others...
(many there continually gave me a hard time, even though
I was only presenting available information to substantiate
my case) Many don't refuse to understand,, won't read it for themselves
and really just don't want to use it or spend the money on it.
That doesn't change a thing.....until their engines start to
have more and more oil related/sludge and wear issues sometime
in the near future.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:51 PM
juicybusa

Originally Posted by JonfromCB
Juicy, If you read "the definitive oil thread" on this board you'll find
answers and references to almost all these questions and more.
....way too much to get into here, but I assure you I did
many hours of research (for myself) and shared it others...
(many there continually gave me a hard time, even though
I was only presenting available information to substantiate
my case) Many don't refuse to understand,, won't read it for themselves
and really just don't want to use it or spend the money on it.
That doesn't change a thing.....until their engines start to
have more and more oil related/sludge and wear issues sometime
in the near future.
You have hit the nail on the head-time WILL tell-one way or the other.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:37 PM
ixicsmixi

wuh;;; what is best oil to be use?