Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

should i use the vvell easter oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:19 PM
notalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Xcaliper
Best to stick with Nissan filter. Mechanic said to me quote; "If you get a larger size than the small oem(like K & N) you will drop oil pressure".
If you only add 5.2 quarts and use a larger oil filter you MIGHT see reduced oil pressure. But, the oil pump should continue to pump at an appropriate pressure. And, if you check the dipstick and make sure your level is correct you will have added the needed amount which includes the amount of the larger oil filter. So, if you fill according to the dipstick, your pressure will be okay.

Also, many aftermarket filters using higher quality components, like Purolator's Pure One oil filter, are the exact same size. Your choice, at the OEM size; Nissan quality filter components or better quality filter components.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:22 PM
notalk

Originally Posted by G37RacerX
It's good oil.
D
Really? What's so special about it? What's in it that makes it so good?

(Please don't say it has ester in it; that's what makes it so good. Most oils contain various esters. The European Patent Application makes no mention of additional or greater quantities of ester. The European Patent Application says the oil does contain carbon-based additives not normally found in other oils to improve fuel economy.)
Old 12-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Infiniti Esc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by notalk
Thanks. I understand Infiniti, or at least some Infiniti personnel, suggest continued use of the Ester oil to avoid or reduce noise problems. But, I don't see where the TSB raises the issue of continued use of the Ester oil. I only see where it says to perform an Ester oil change after updating the software.

I think your right. not anywhere in the TSB does it say to continue using the ESTER oil but you know as well as I do that if you don't want the noise to return thenyou need and all the others need to continue to use the ESTER oil. Remember it's your choice as the "owner" to use it or not to use it.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:08 PM
gurneyeagle

Originally Posted by jeffyb
I did that too, a bunch of **** about nanoparticle coating etc etc. The thing is, I don't know how any of that differs from a nice synthetic oil like Royal Purple. Besides, if so many people "know", why is there no real definitive information on the subjective. If there's so many smart people "in the know" why won't anyone give a simple is this necessary y/n answer

I guess the bigger question is -

Why do owners of a $40k+ car even need to worry about this? It was never adverstised that the car required a special oil. Sounds like another Nissan f/u. Very disappointing.

I've used Mobil 1 exclusively for over 15 years in everything except my G based on what I've read on this forum. Some use synthetics from the start, others warn to wait 20k miles. WTF?

I've never had this quandry with my Hondas/Acuras.

Sigh!
Old 12-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Motul 300V will solve your problem
Old 12-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So wil Eneos
Old 12-02-2008, 12:23 PM
jeffyb

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
I guess the bigger question is -

Why do owners of a $40k+ car even need to worry about this? It was never adverstised that the car required a special oil. Sounds like another Nissan f/u. Very disappointing.

I've used Mobil 1 exclusively for over 15 years in everything except my G based on what I've read on this forum. Some use synthetics from the start, others warn to wait 20k miles. WTF?

I've never had this quandry with my Hondas/Acuras.

Sigh!
This is kind of my main gripe as well, buying a expensive (to me anyway) luxury car that is already having more issues then any honda, ford, etc that I have owned. I'm sure it will all be resolved. I personally plan on using royal purple myself. Sure it is expensive as well, but at least it is a synthetic.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:03 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i just dropped my car off this morning for 30K service. i told them to put this oil in. it was an additional 45 dollars. not really anything to lose sleep over if you ask me.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:05 PM
jeffyb

Originally Posted by finagle69
i just dropped my car off this morning for 30K service. i told them to put this oil in. it was an additional 45 dollars. not really anything to lose sleep over if you ask me.
Considering it's a dino oil that will need to be changed twice as much as a good synthetic, and costs double.. I think it's sort of a big deal to find out after you have already purchased the car. Essentially paying double the price for a worse oil that won't last as long.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:37 PM
notalk

FWIW, check out SL8R's update on Nissan's European Patent application. Page 2 of this BITOG thread, http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...299533&fpart=1
Old 12-02-2008, 05:57 PM
htownboy
Registered Member

I sent email to Royal Purple tech support since I always use it; this was my reply: (see my email below the reply)...

"Mark,

We do not have any documents on the G37 that states the type of oil, only the viscosity – 5w30 API SM.

RP 5w30 is a great choice, but we are API SL.

API SM oils (the most current API service) have reduced anti-wear additives, which are proving that they can not provide the same level of wear protection that the API SL oils do. The API SM rated oils are designed to extend the life of the exhaust catalyst. The US government (EPA) deemed that oil additives might be a contributing factor in catalysts not working after 5+ years and require that API SM oils have a reduced level of anti-wear additives by 20- 35%.

Royal Purple API SL oils work extremely well and have not caused any catalytic converter problems being used in both high performance vehicles as well as daily drivers. We've decided not to move "up" to an SM rating until we can guarantee the same outstanding wear protection, performance and the ability to extend the drains of the API SL version we currently make. Royal Purple Motor Oils have not had a single catalyst plug or stop working, even using our XPR racing oils in streetcars with over 150,000 miles.

We are offering a corporate warranty to you if you choose to use our SL oil in a car requiring the use of an SM oil and your dealer refuses your warranty on any oil related failures due to the use of our oils. See attached.

If your owner’s manual states that you need an Ester oil, I would go to a parts store and see what you find….nothing on the shelves that state Ester Based. I would then go back to your dealer and demand they give you free oil changes for the life of your warranty, because you can not find where it states it is ester on the bottles or they allow you to use another product other than what the dealer is selling.

Have a great day and thank you for your email.

Kyle Neal
Technical Sales Representative
1 Royal Purple Lane
Porter, Texas 77365
work- 281-354-8600 ex 248
cell- 713-705-9556
kneal@royalpurple.com"

Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 4:09 PM
To: rpautotech
Cc: rpindtech@royalpurple.com
Subject: Automotive Question

I am 44 years old and have used Royal Purple for years now, I had over 100K hard miles on my 04 Infiniti G35 Coupe when Hurricane Ike flooded it… I bought a new Infiniti G37s Coupe which has an entirely new engine needing 5-30w Ester Oil. How can I comply with my warranty and still use Royal Purple?

If I knew about this before I bought the G37 I may have not made that purchase, now I need hard proof or I may have warranty problems later.

Please help!

Thanks,
MB
Old 12-02-2008, 06:16 PM
FiremanJ

I brought mine back to the dealership last week for the engine knock, they did the ecu reflash and the ester oil change. today i got my car back after they replaced the drivers seat bottom cushion and as soon as i got home i heard the engine knock agian. that oil does nothing but cost more $$. it's complete BS for a 40k car. next week i gotta go back and get my Y-pipe fixed, they heard a pinging noise coming from it. I think i'm going back to my 97 civic LX. it may not be fast but more reliable.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by finagle69
Not the Ester base oil?

5 quarts X $13.00 = 65 dollars

Not including filter

You must have some kind of hook-up dude.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:58 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Xcaliper
Not the Ester base oil?

5 quarts X $13.00 = 65 dollars

Not including filter

You must have some kind of hook-up dude.
no no, i said additional 45 dollars... on top of the normal 40 or whatever.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:45 PM
FiremanJ

bottom line... it doesn't fix the problem, i had it done and now the knocking is back.

Quick Reply: should i use the vvell easter oil?