Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

should i use the vvell easter oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 12:34 PM
notalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jeffyb
I did that too, a bunch of **** about nanoparticle coating etc etc. The thing is, I don't know how any of that differs from a nice synthetic oil like Royal Purple.
Right. The carbon-based additives are claimed to reduce friction against the diamond-like inside valve head coating. The patent application clearly claims the Ester oil reduces friction to improve fuel economy. So, the question, as you stated, is how is the conventional Nissan Ester oil equal to or better than synthetic, semi-synthetic or even premium conventional oils?

Nothing in either the European Patent Application or the Nissan VVEL Technical paper say how the Ester oil might improve the VVEL operation over non-Ester oil. Neither make any reference to the VVEL operations, noises or software related problems.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Guys I had a talk with an experienced Infiniti mechanic and he told me that you can use regular oil if you please, you will only hear the knocking at about 2,000 rpm without the ester based oil and no damage will occur.

I've used ester based Nissan oil for up to now my 3,750 mark.
At this point the dealer told me they will change the oil with regular oil unless I choose to supply another type.

So my claim is if the dealership is using regular oil for the change without a request for other oil, then I'll assume this is under warranty and no worries.

Of course I would use a good synthetic oil like Mobil 1, Royal Purple and Redline (Ester Based) unless you change your oil every say 1,500-2,000 miles.

Hey ask your local mechanic at your Infiniti dealership if uncertain.

I wish this could be clarified, we need a info post on oils that don't knock that will replace Ester Based Nissan oil.

HERE IS ANOTHER POST RELATED: https://www.myg37.com/forums/tsb-technical-bulletins/187484-itb08-028a-noise-from-bank-2-vvel-actuator-amended-9-3-08-a.html

So far a couple pepole cliam using Eneos oil and no probs. We need to start a post "Oils that Replace Ester Based Nissan Oil"

I'm going with Redline and will post my results later next week.

Last edited by Xcalibur; 12-01-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:53 PM
notalk

Originally Posted by Xcaliper
Guys I had a talk with an experienced Infiniti mechanic and he told me that you can use regular oil if you please, you will only hear the knocking at about 2,000 rpm without the ester based oil and no damage will occur.
I can't find anything different in the Nissan Ester oil than in conventional oils which might reduce any VVEL out-of-sync knock.

I've used ester based Nissan oil for up to now my 3,750 mark.
At this point the dealer told me they will change the oil with regular oil unless I choose to supply another type.

So my claim is if the dealership is using regular oil for the change without a request for other oil, then I'll assume this is under warranty and no worries.

Of course I would use a good synthetic oil like Mobil 1 to Royal Purple( I think royal has ester in it - this stuff is expensive too) unless yo change your oil every say 1,500-2,000 miles.

Hey ask your local mechanic at your Infiniti dealership if uncertain.

I wish this could be clarified, we need a info post on oils that don't knock that will replace Ester Based Nissan oil.
Also, according to the European Patent application, the Nissan Ester oil does not appear to contain any additional esters or increased quantities of esters than conventional oil. I do not understand why "esters" might have a positive effect on VVEL operation. Other than the oil name, I don't know why we all think that additional or greater quantities of esters might be beneficial to VVEL operation.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:53 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Yes, use Easter oil. I hear it has eggshell based additives and real Cadbury's chocolate in it. Very good for the VVEL.

On a serious note, Nissan Ester Oil, or any ester based synthetic such as Motul 8100 X-Cess will be the best to go with the VVEL TSB and subsequent oil changes if you had the knock issue. Otherwise I would just go with ANY good synthetic or conventional. German Castrol recently cured some viscious knocking that my g/f's 99 Civic had. I mean the car used to shake from knocking you could feel it in the doors and on your legs and now it's gone after 1 switch to German Castrol. That's some good stuff. And for winter, it's 0w-30 works great in Northern states.

Last edited by DetroitG37Joe; 12-01-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:51 PM
last lemming

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone explain what is exactly knocking and does it mean that there is damage going on when you hear it? I'm still unclear as to what the problem is, I just know the result is a knocking sound.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

No Damage - just a noise like a valve ticking- if you've ever heard that.

I changed my mind, Im going to use Eneos since its available locally and Redline is 10 dollars a quart and sold at like 3 places in US.

Plus we have some people on this forum using Eneos with no ticking noise. So Im sold on that oil as a replacment for the Nissan based ester oil.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Infiniti Esc

Originally Posted by shumby
so are you guys paying extra for the ester oil? And if yes why? The service manual says 5W-30 oil. So why should I have to pay more for oil to fix an issue with a car that is under warranty? Infiniti seems to be getting of easy on this issue. It has not happened to me but if it does I will not be paying extra for an oil change. For an issue that they need to fix

Per the TSB the fix is to reprogram and start using the ESTER oil !! Read the TSB !!

With that being said this is a Factory fix for this issue. It is up to you as the owner to follow the guidlines that are set fourth by Infiniti and the TSB repair. If you choose not to follow Infiniti's recommendation then it's you choice.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:29 PM
notalk

Originally Posted by Xcaliper
No Damage - just a noise like a valve ticking- if you've ever heard that.
The out-of-sync VVEL noise is NOT a valve ticking noise. The out-of-sync VVEL sounds like a good old fashioned rod knock. Even though the TSB refers to a "slight ticking/tapping/knocking noise", the actual noise is very apparent. It may be considered "slight" if you have the radio volume turned up, the windows closed and the A/C running. And, you are parked in a truck stop. In a quiet garage, you will definitely hear your valve train is out of whack.

Last edited by notalk; 12-01-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:33 PM
notalk

Originally Posted by Infiniti Esc
Per the TSB the fix is to reprogram and start using the ESTER oil !! Read the TSB !!
Doesn't the amended TSB say to perform the software update and then an oil change with the Nissan Ester oil? I don't recall the amended TSB requiring continued use of the Nissan Ester oil. Am I missing something?
Old 12-01-2008, 06:45 PM
DPE_G35

thanks for the info guys, im just gona go ahead and get this ester oil, i need it
Old 12-01-2008, 07:00 PM
notalk

Originally Posted by DPE_G35
thanks for the info guys, im just gona go ahead and get this ester oil, i need it
Why do you need it? What will it do for you that other oils can not do for you?
Old 12-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

You donot need the Ester Based Nissan oil period!

If you dont use Ester Based Nissan oil the worst that will happen is the noise.

No wear will happen. Ask your Mechanic and Service Manager.

I went with it as well and it cost about 13.00 dollars a quart and I did it myself. Take it to the dealer and they will charge in Miami Florida (South Motors) about $140.00.

Best to stick with Nissan filter. Mechanic said to me quote; "If you get a larger size than the small oem(like K & N) you will drop oil pressure".
Old 12-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Infiniti Esc

Originally Posted by notalk
Doesn't the amended TSB say to perform the software update and then an oil change with the Nissan Ester oil? I don't recall the amended TSB requiring continued use of the Nissan Ester oil. Am I missing something?

They (infiniti) suggests that you continue to use the ester oil so that the noise does not return
Old 12-01-2008, 08:13 PM
notalk

Originally Posted by Infiniti Esc
They (infiniti) suggests that you continue to use the ester oil so that the noise does not return
Thanks. I understand Infiniti, or at least some Infiniti personnel, suggest continued use of the Ester oil to avoid or reduce noise problems. But, I don't see where the TSB raises the issue of continued use of the Ester oil. I only see where it says to perform an Ester oil change after updating the software.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:18 PM
G37RacerX

It's good oil.
D

Quick Reply: should i use the vvell easter oil?