Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Review First Impression of The Cobb Access Port

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 09:18 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up First Impression of The Cobb Access Port

Impressions of unpacking the box and what is included:
This came perfectly shipped... It was a box within a box. When I opened the AP box, It looked like a little case, it had grey foam cut outs for all the pieces to fit into place without moving. Very Well Packaged...

Contents:
Access Port Controller
OBDII Port Connection Piece
USB to Mini USB cord: This cord has a double flex joint to avoid kinks or problems--very cool!
Software CD
Instruction Booklet
Cobb Decals

Installation process: Pretty strait forward... I ask a couple members for there advice because I didnt wanna jump into messing with my ECU without asking questions... but it ended up being very easy.

Heres some cliff notes:

Install the cd on your computer.

Plug the AP into your ride while the ignition is in the on position, never start the car.

Make sure you have all your A/C, radio, lights, etc.. off. The AP requires a certain voltage from the battery. If you have a sound system, or amp, hook up a trickle charge to your battery or something. Loading the maps and flashing the ecu can take up to 20min or so initially. I had my Higher powered Braille Battery and it didnt bother it at all during this but some members have said the stock battery may die on you if your running an aftermarket sound system while installing.

When you first install I chose the stock settings map, and having the AP make a copy of your ECU, incase you need to uninstall the AP for dealership issues, your ECU will remain untouched. This is why the process is kinda long, and power draining.

Thats about it, once installed you can switch between maps and it only takes about 5 min to do.
Thanks to AZg37 for the tips!!

IMO the process was pretty strait forward and a child can do this if needed.

Visit this site for some visual keys to what these things look like while working.
http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=4278

Now the cool thing that I didnt expect was all the things you can monitor and check up while you are driving.

Display engine parameters:

The AccessPORT can read sensor data from the factory ECU and display it on screen. This feature allows the AccessPORT to function as an auxiliary gauge to display RPM, Coolant Temp., Battery Voltage, Intake Air Temp., Ignition Timing, Mass Air Flow and many more.

I havent had time yet to play with anything but there is a TON of info with these suckers!!

There is also a Performance section:

Performance
The AccessPORT measures and displays 0-60 mph acceleration,
60 ft. time, 1/8th and 1/4 mile E.T. and Trap Speeds. Use this feature to quantify performance modifications and driving techniques.

I did a 0-60 one time and it was pretty neat...

Another thing I noticed right away is it takes about 20 seconds to Reset the ECU. Which is great because now I dont have to sit with a stopwatch and try the pedal reset.... This is a cool feature and now I can reset the ECU with ease any time I get a new mod or new to clear a code.

And to think... I havent even gotten to adding HP with the new Stage map. haha

So this is just some brief "first Impression" info on the Cobb AP for you guys who are still considering gettin this... I already recommend the thing and I havent even got to talk about the ECU upgrade yet....

But I did Upload the New ECU MAP this morning. I drove to work normally and didnt test anything out yet because I was freezing...

I will update this as time permits with opinions on the ECU mapping... I should have some dynos up around Christmas....

Special Thanks to Gary Sheehan @ Cobb Tuning!
Old 11-24-2008, 09:30 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Good write up. I will get this eventually.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Jumpin800agl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am looking at this myself and considering doing a before and after dyno at Forged when I get it, just to see the difference.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:39 AM
willizm

Good Job Max, nice to see some good reviews on a product that is sure to kick ass.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:43 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea its crazy that I already love it and havent even got a chance to test out the Updated HP yet...lol
Old 11-24-2008, 08:31 PM
matrix311

Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
Yea its crazy that I already love it and havent even got a chance to test out the Updated HP yet...lol
Give your car about 100-150 miles for the ECU to reset and learn the changes. I have an AP as well and it takes around the 100-150 miles before the car is good to go. After you load a map the car may run sluggish, dont worry or break a sweat, give it the miles and then you'll be satisfied.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:36 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
what exactly do you mean by you did 0-60 mph and it was pretty neat? :P
Old 11-24-2008, 08:40 PM
tfmbigdog99

Location: Where the kids are high and the grades are low. NYC
^ Yea, were you in the 4's max?
Old 11-24-2008, 09:49 PM
w0ady

great writeup as usual b.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:35 PM
modfever

Cobb AccessPort Dyno Results

Just joined this forum but have gleaned some great info on the AccessPort, so I thought I'd share my before and after dyno pulls from installing the stage 2 map earlier today.

'08 G37S 6MT
Mods:
Stillen Gen 1 Intake
Stillen Headers
Stillen HFCs
Stillen Catback Exhaust
Attached Thumbnails First Impression of The Cobb Access Port-001.jpg  
Old 11-24-2008, 11:27 PM
NJlakeshoreG
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by modfever
Just joined this forum but have gleaned some great info on the AccessPort, so I thought I'd share my before and after dyno pulls from installing the stage 2 map earlier today.

'08 G37S 6MT
Mods:
Stillen Gen 1 Intake
Stillen Headers
Stillen HFCs
Stillen Catback Exhaust

seem like very low power results....not knocking you, just saying it seems low...real low...others are putting more hp to the wheels stock...am i reading something wrong???
Old 11-24-2008, 11:29 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
could be because the dyno.. that was a big increase in TQ tho
Old 11-24-2008, 11:43 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by NJlakeshoreG
seem like very low power results....not knocking you, just saying it seems low...real low...others are putting more hp to the wheels stock...am i reading something wrong???
Something doesnt seem right .. That is pretty low ..
Old 11-25-2008, 12:21 AM
modfever

Yeah...I believe there was an issue in getting a solid reading on the dyno...the max power of 278 after the stage 2 map was installed was at about 6800 RPM...probably would have been closer to 290 near 7500 RPM.

But, if you're looking at the power and torque numbers in the middle of the page...they are the max "gain" points...not max power. Not sure if that's what you all were referring to....
Old 11-25-2008, 12:25 AM
chamelieon

not for nothing but you guys are only focusing on his peak numbers, if you pay close attention to detail the tach pickup was not working right on this dyno, his last dyno pull stopped reading at 6750 Rpms, if it would have read up to redline it would be somewhere in the 285's which coming from 269 would be a 15+ hp gain peak which isnt all that bad. dyno is meant to show gains and that one seems to read lower than the norm but seeing his gains are huge all over the graph!

Quick Reply: Review First Impression of The Cobb Access Port