Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Official Cobb AccessPORT question, answer, and help thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 11:03 PM
kaos2774
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cant see the pic
Old 04-24-2009, 09:53 PM
tristan1334

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stock Intake
AAM HFC
AAM Y-pipe
Stock exhaust
Cobb AP
1st run is on stage1 map
2nd run is on stage2 map
Attached Thumbnails Official Cobb AccessPORT question, answer, and help thread-stan-dyno-aam-2-.jpg  
Old 04-25-2009, 05:08 PM
xeroed

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
good numbers considering you only have those two parts installed
Old 04-25-2009, 05:30 PM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xeroed
good numbers considering you only have those two parts installed
agreed. you should have use the stock style map and got more out of it tristan or custom tune
Old 04-26-2009, 12:29 AM
Staples

You probably would have gotten a little more out of the stage 2 if you had mufflers. Stock muffler is pretty restrictive compared to aftermarket.

Good numbers nonetheless. About the custom tune through AAM, I wouldn't. You may receive more gains, but it's an ECU flash that you can't uninstall like Cobb.

Plus I haven't heard great things from their tuners as some people on this forum had problems and had to take it elsewhere. Not going to mention any names.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:08 AM
tristan1334

Originally Posted by jnguyen
agreed. you should have use the stock style map and got more out of it tristan or custom tune
I would love to have a custom tune but I don't have any place here in MD that would do it. I hope Cobb would release the pro tuner soon. Another G37 ran the stock style map on the dyno an it came out 284hp and the stage2 ran a 286hp. I don't remember the torque numbers. His G37 is a 5AT with HFC and CAI.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:45 AM
tristan1334

Originally Posted by Staples
You probably would have gotten a little more out of the stage 2 if you had mufflers. Stock muffler is pretty restrictive compared to aftermarket.

Good numbers nonetheless. About the custom tune through AAM, I wouldn't. You may receive more gains, but it's an ECU flash that you can't uninstall like Cobb.

Plus I haven't heard great things from their tuners as some people on this forum had problems and had to take it elsewhere. Not going to mention any names.
I know the stock muffler is very restrictive but all my previous cars has been loud. I was thinking of just getting the megan racing (got my flame suit on) since it's not as loud as the other exhausts. I'm not sure about any power gains tho. As of AAM I have my doubts on them but they did a good job on my friends 350Z with their flash. But you're right about the ECU flash, I won't have control on uninstalling in case I have to go to the dealer. I've heard so much negative feedback on AAM but I usually do my own work. But so far the parts parts I bought from them fits perfect.

But the old guy that prepped my car on the dyno did NOT turn my VDC off. So I got all kinds of lights on my dash. I had to reset it with my AP. It was a BCM error.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Staples

Originally Posted by tristan1334
I know the stock muffler is very restrictive but all my previous cars has been loud. I was thinking of just getting the megan racing (got my flame suit on) since it's not as loud as the other exhausts. I'm not sure about any power gains tho. As of AAM I have my doubts on them but they did a good job on my friends 350Z with their flash. But you're right about the ECU flash, I won't have control on uninstalling in case I have to go to the dealer. I've heard so much negative feedback on AAM but I usually do my own work. But so far the parts parts I bought from them fits perfect.

But the old guy that prepped my car on the dyno did NOT turn my VDC off. So I got all kinds of lights on my dash. I had to reset it with my AP. It was a BCM error.
I had that too when I uninstalled my Cobb AP. You need to make sure you don't save your stock ecu map on the AP. Let the AP use the default map when uninstalling, it's the most up to date Infiniti rom available.

By the way, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the megan axleback. I heard it in person and it isn't that bad at all.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:35 PM
tristan1334

Originally Posted by Staples

By the way, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the megan axleback. I heard it in person and it isn't that bad at all.
I'll probably get it and not tell the wife. We'll see if she will notice the difference. Hopefully it won't take away the unique sound of the G.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:15 PM
jb5674

I have to vent....two weeks have gone by and no COBB AP. Called Cobb 3x last week and they mentioned "it will be in the mail" or I should see a tracking # at the least via email. This $700 lil part is more of a hassle than its worth.

Cobb support is a joke. Yes, they answer the phone and they are better than Dell - lol But it still doesnt fix the problem that I dont have anything to show from this experience. The AP wouldnt sync to any computer I own (work with WIN XP or personal with VISTA 32bit). Mac is not supported, so that not an option. When I called Cobb from day one, they told me the turn around on the "device reset" of the AP is 24 hours. This is BS. "this is a common problem " that the AP doesnt sync with computers. "all we have to do is rest the device, and we'll get it back to you"
Come on, I've owned other chip devices and its simple plug and play. I get this is a new product, and there is R&D here. Cobb needs to step it up or there is going to be a lot of pissed off people and those without the device will wait for the RevUp or other adjustable type "chips / ecu flashs". Its a shame that we all spend $$ on something that we are passionate about, yet certain companies feel the need to lie to their customers. I wont say names, but one said company is above. (not including COBB)
Old 05-01-2009, 12:24 AM
DCook42

Sorry if this is old news, but I haven't seen this spelled out before. For the G37S and it's 3 maps, there is "recommended hardware" for each map - I'll cut/paste from the cobb website:

Stage I: Latest Calibration Rev: 1.02
Calibration and Calibration Notes Updated: 03/24/09
Description: Stage1 91 v102 - Intended for an otherwise stock
vehicle with a stock or cat-back exhaust and a STOCK INTAKE SYSTEM
ONLY. Intended for a minimum 91 octane petrol. Rev limit increased
by 500 RPM.
Hardware Requirements: Stock vehicle with a STOCK INTAKE SYSTEM and
STOCK FUEL INJECTORS ONLY.
Fuel Requirement: Minimum 91 octane.
Power Output: +3.0% HP / +2.0% lb-ft. Results may vary.

Stage II: Latest Calibration Rev: 1.02
Calibration and Calibration Notes Updated: 03/24/09
Description: Stage2 91 v102 - Intended for an otherwise stock
vehicle with a stock or cat-back exhaust, high flow catalytic
converters, and STOCK INTAKE SYSTEM ONLY. Intended for a minimum 91
octane petrol. Rev limit increased by 500 RPM.
Hardware Requirements: Full or cat back exhaust with high flow
catalytic converters and a STOCK INTAKE SYSTEM and STOCK FUEL
INJECTORS ONLY.
Fuel Requirement: Minimum 91 octane.
Power Output: +11.0% HP / +5.7% lb-ft. Results may vary.
Revision Notes:

Stage II+: Stage2+ is intended for vehicles with cat-back exhaust, headers, high flow catalysts or race pipes, and aftermarket intakes. (No map notes were listed for 2+ like there was for 1 and 2).

To me, what this is saying is use stage I if you have a cat-back exhaust, use stage II if you have HFC's and Exhaust, and use Stage II+ if you have Intakes, Headers, HFC's, and Exhaust. Hope I'm not beating a dead horse here; Stage II+ is spelled out quite simply, but I had always wondered about recommended hardware on stages 1 and 2. As before, I'm still waiting to see a dyno from someone with Stage 2+ and all the recommended add-ons - lets go people!
Old 05-01-2009, 02:36 PM
ufo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jb5674
I have to vent....two weeks have gone by and no COBB AP. Called Cobb 3x last week and they mentioned "it will be in the mail" or I should see a tracking # at the least via email. This $700 lil part is more of a hassle than its worth.

Cobb support is a joke. Yes, they answer the phone and they are better than Dell - lol But it still doesnt fix the problem that I dont have anything to show from this experience. The AP wouldnt sync to any computer I own (work with WIN XP or personal with VISTA 32bit). Mac is not supported, so that not an option. When I called Cobb from day one, they told me the turn around on the "device reset" of the AP is 24 hours. This is BS. "this is a common problem " that the AP doesnt sync with computers. "all we have to do is rest the device, and we'll get it back to you"
Come on, I've owned other chip devices and its simple plug and play. I get this is a new product, and there is R&D here. Cobb needs to step it up or there is going to be a lot of pissed off people and those without the device will wait for the RevUp or other adjustable type "chips / ecu flashs". Its a shame that we all spend $$ on something that we are passionate about, yet certain companies feel the need to lie to their customers. I wont say names, but one said company is above. (not including COBB)

So the Cobb AP is not compatible with Macs? What about running Windows XP on the mac via parallels I wonder? I have been seriously considering getting the Cobb AP but I don't even own a PC, only Macs.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:32 AM
BradManUWF
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ufo
So the Cobb AP is not compatible with Macs? What about running Windows XP on the mac via parallels I wonder? I have been seriously considering getting the Cobb AP but I don't even own a PC, only Macs.
Spend $300 and get an Acer netbook and use it only for messing with your Cobb/Car
Old 05-13-2009, 11:30 AM
jb5674

Faulty AP - Cobb took 2.5 weeks to get it back considering they told me one day turn around. Been really ****ty here in MD with rain. Will put the 2+ map on this weekend and see what it do. Custom maps will follow.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:37 PM
G37Rider92649
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
lmao cobb tuning...mark my words watch the cob era go down soon for vqs...if not wait a year or 2..mark my words just like on my350z and g35driver....cobb ap...they go whats that...if they know...they go why??? LOL

Quick Reply: Official Cobb AccessPORT question, answer, and help thread