Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 Engine - Oil Consumption Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 02:32 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I checked my level initially at about 400 miles and then occassionally for the past 3000 miles. The level has not moved at all.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:30 PM
3ngery

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did my oil change yesterday and my car had roughly 2.5 liters of oil lift in it? i have 6000km.

I replaced it with Mobile 1 synth,

is this something i should have it look at?
Old 07-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Danny Boy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 3ngery
I did my oil change yesterday and my car had roughly 2.5 liters of oil lift in it? i have 6000km.

At full you should have 4.9 liters. That means you might have used up 2.4 liters in 6,000km. You better keep an eye on your oil level. Not a bad idea to check it every week and before a long trip.

Please keep us posted.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:23 PM
3ngery

thank-you i will be doing so.

I also called my stealership to see if they have any ideas, they asked me what oil i was using i told them Mobile 1 Synthetic, and they tell me that could be the problem,
then i tell them this was my FIRST oil change, they kept saying it could be the oil then i told them again FIRST as in never changed before that so it would make a differnce what oil i used.

Oh gosh.....haha
Old 07-28-2009, 08:06 PM
G-Rocket

That's BS big time. This is a new engine you should be able to drive it with any oil and not use/burn any. I have similar problem and a friend with 29k miles is experiencing oil usage as well. I check mine regularly and have used only Nissan Ester and as it seems it will use about 2qts in 6000 miles.
My next thing will be oil consumption test. I have 15k miles now.
You are not alone ....
Old 07-28-2009, 09:21 PM
shabbo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by G-Rocket
That's BS big time. This is a new engine you should be able to drive it with any oil and not use/burn any. I have similar problem and a friend with 29k miles is experiencing oil usage as well. I check mine regularly and have used only Nissan Ester and as it seems it will use about 2qts in 6000 miles.
My next thing will be oil consumption test. I have 15k miles now.
You are not alone ....
I did an oil consumption test and the dealership said it's okay.

Mine would use about that much. It was better after switching to Motul's 300v but it will use about a 1 quart in 4500 miles now. As long as the CEL does not come on a real problem would surface within the warranty period.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:46 AM
G-Rocket

I refuse to top off the oil every 3-4k miles on a $40k car. It is just not right. Here in the US people change oil every 5k miles but in the EU the dealer requirement is usually 10-15k kilometers = around 10k miles. If you have to top off the oil every 3k miles that is like an oil change between the oil changes.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:19 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A "$40K" car has nothing to do with it. I see this comment all over these boards as if it's a Rolls.

Check the oil at the dipstick, not by how much drains out since. That will accurately tell you your level. You'll never drain out all the oil in the engine.

Mobil 1 or any oil likely has little to do with consumption although Subaru WRX owners claim Mobil 1 consumption is much higher than other oils. I've used M1 in my other high performance engine for 9 years with no consumption problem.

As the "owner" of your car you need to check the level at least every few hundred miles as per the owner's manual and basic ownership responsibility. If the level is dropping quickly then you need to have the dealer monitor - that's the only way it will be addressed. One quart in 3-4K miles is not generally uncommon depending on the way the car is driven.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Are you guys actually burning oil? Or are you getting blow by from driving too hard?
Old 07-29-2009, 04:12 PM
3ngery

Very well pointed out SkyMG37!

Mike: im sure ive lost half a liter from blowby but she was worth it!
Old 07-29-2009, 09:02 PM
G-Rocket

Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
A "$40K" car has nothing to do with it. I see this comment all over these boards as if it's a Rolls.

Check the oil at the dipstick, not by how much drains out since. That will accurately tell you your level. You'll never drain out all the oil in the engine.

Mobil 1 or any oil likely has little to do with consumption although Subaru WRX owners claim Mobil 1 consumption is much higher than other oils. I've used M1 in my other high performance engine for 9 years with no consumption problem.

As the "owner" of your car you need to check the level at least every few hundred miles as per the owner's manual and basic ownership responsibility. If the level is dropping quickly then you need to have the dealer monitor - that's the only way it will be addressed. One quart in 3-4K miles is not generally uncommon depending on the way the car is driven.
Well, when I buy a car I have certain expectations. I guess my car did not live up to them. I have owned sports cars only, mostly German, I have never had oil consumption issues (I do have a heavy foot).
I really want to take the G to the track but I am afraid that it might burn more oil than gasoline.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by G-Rocket
Well, when I buy a car I have certain expectations. I guess my car did not live up to them. I have owned sports cars only, mostly German, I have never had oil consumption issues (I do have a heavy foot).
I really want to take the G to the track but I am afraid that it might burn more oil than gasoline.
Losing oil at the track is perfectly normal. It happens through blow by, and affects ALL cars.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:04 PM
htownboy
Registered Member

I have no detectable oil level drop between changes and I drive my G hard, very hard... I also use Royal Purple Oil exclusively!
Old 07-30-2009, 05:48 PM
w0ady

i blew my g35 engine at 68k miles with mobil 1. weird thing is it was a 5at. they said it was excessive downshifting but wrote it up as an oil pump to get me covered under warranty. i drive pretty hard but im hoping i wont have issues with my 37 heh.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by htownboy
I have no detectable oil level drop between changes and I drive my G hard, very hard... I also use Royal Purple Oil exclusively!
Blow by is from turning hard.

Quick Reply: G37 Engine - Oil Consumption Issue