Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 Engine - Oil Consumption Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:53 AM
gurneyeagle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Yes, my daily commute is about 20 miles one way and it's 80% highway. Some Houston traffic but mostly open road as I travel all over Texas for work.

I'm not saying you are a kid, we are close to the same age. You simply drive your car much harder and in a more demanding way than I do.
I've got a 20 mile round trip made up of 50% interstate and the rest stop-and-go 45 mph, and I average 21 mpg.

On a road trip to Florida this past May, I averaged 25 at 75 - 80 mph. It all comes down to driving style. Like BB, I nail it occaisonally just for the fun of it, but for the most part, I coast to stops and start up slowly.

After 12k miles, I've yet to burn any oil. I'm still getting the oil changed at the dealer, but am still thinking about changing to Mobil 1. My G is the first car I have had in years that is still using non-syn oil, but after reading various threads on what you can/should use, I'll leave it up to the dealer to make the decision. At least I'll have a documented record of oil changes. AFter spending $40k+ on a car that I hope to drive fir at least 100k miles, I'm playing it safe.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:06 AM
wiseman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought its worths clarifying my daily driving experience... I drive 3 hours per day (90 miles in total) One hour a day is spent in bumper to bumper city traffic usually using 1st gear only. Id say this post does not apply if you have an automatic G37. My loaner car is a G35 sedan and believe me the automatic gives a totally different experience. Usually even on the highway, traffic only moves 50 to 60mph and you frequently need to change lanes. I rarely every use 6th gear on the car which is like an overdrive. Yeah if I cruised on a highway for 90 miles doing 70 in 6th gear Id get 20mpg.

I posted this thread to see if there were other stop and go, high rpm, city drivers. Most people wouldnt dare use a standard shift in city driving. I happen to like driving into NYC instead of taking a commuter train. On the trains you cant even make a phone call without people telling you to be quiet so they can sleep. Anybody who drives a 6sp G37 in traffic knows you probably stay in 1st gear most of the time since you dont get over 10 to 15 mph.

Regular G37 automatic cars in my opinion wont have these crazy oil consumption/engine problems. My concern is if the car cant handle the commuting in traffic I will need to stay away from Infiniti and buy a BMW. Ive had these cars since 1982 so it would be a huge blow for me to give up on the G/Z series. The 2 +2 in a manual is a dream come true for me with the kids needing to go in back seats.

Last edited by wiseman; 11-03-2008 at 11:54 AM. Reason: word choice
Old 11-07-2008, 06:01 PM
smokealti

Don't tell me that the g37s consume oil like the g35's... I agree that the g35 6mt engines were not designed to take high rpms for a long periods of time. Although i do think that almost most everyone engine will consume oil if driven at high rpms most of the time. The g35 revups werent built strong enough.

I would have thought that the oc issue would be resolved with the g37. How long did it take for g35 6mt revup owners to realize that the g35 was consuming an excessive amount of oil.

I also beleive that you should have taken it to the dealer once you realized that it was consuming too much. Adding oil every 2k miles doesn't cut it. You also need to change out the oil filter.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:44 PM
wiseman

Why should I not tell you? Isnt this america land of free speech. Did you read the ester oil TSB on the new G37? They are having problems with keeping the moving parts oiled properly. The magentic oil adheres to the parts rather than dropping in the oil pan so on cold starts you dont have issues.

I changed the filter several times. I owned a 2004 G35 that burned a ton of oil also so I didnt even think to bring it into dealer for that.

How long will it take G37 owners to realize to use ester oil???? DO IT !!!!
Old 11-08-2008, 10:07 AM
notalk

Originally Posted by wiseman
Why should I not tell you? Isnt this america land of free speech.
If you TELL someone, then, you are implying it is fact. And, if a fact, you should have demonstrable actual proof of the fact. Do you have any tests supporting your "fact" that G37s consume oil like the G35s?

Did you read the ester oil TSB on the new G37? They are having problems with keeping the moving parts oiled properly. The magentic oil adheres to the parts rather than dropping in the oil pan so on cold starts you dont have issues.
You keep saying the Nissan Ester oil is "magnetic". Posters have responded there is no such thing as magnetic oil, at least for engines. Nissan does not say the Nissan Ester is "magnetic". Where is your support for this (factually inaccurate and incorrect) statement. Please tell the rest of us where we have all gone so wrong in our understanding. Also, no one has ever said or implied Nissan is "having problems with keeping the moving parts oiled properly." Where did you get this information from?

I changed the filter several times. I owned a 2004 G35 that burned a ton of oil also so I didnt even think to bring it into dealer for that.
Nissan, like all manufacturers, recommends you bring a car which consumes excessive amounts of oil to a dealer. Either you choose to ignore Nissan's recommendation or you think you know more than the people who designed and built your engine. Either way, you choose a method which did not deal with the problem. So, why should anyone listen to you?

How long will it take G37 owners to realize to use ester oil???? DO IT !!!!
Again, why use the Nissan Ester oil? What makes it so special?

(Please read the posts here and in Bob Is The Oil Guy about the Nissan Ester oil being conventional 5W-30 with either additional quantities or additional esters added. There are various esters added to motor oil. All oils contain some of these esters. We do not know, exactly, how the Nissan Ester oil differs from other conventional motor oil. We only know that Nissan adds the word "Ester" to the name of its oil.)

Last edited by notalk; 11-08-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:09 PM
NitricO2NY

Originally Posted by wiseman
Ive read a lot about the oil consumption issues in the 05 -07 on this and other G boards. Thank you all for sharing. My G37S has consumed 20 quarts of oil during the past 10 months (20,000 miles) I just thought that since I drive into NYC every day I was causing the oil to evaporate. Infiniti should really alert owners to this problem, I am a computer guy and not a mechanic. All I knew was the oil in my car was brand new every month from the quarts I was putting in.

The story is I had warmed up my car on a cold day for about 5 minutes. Started driving out of neighborhood... I made it 4 blocks and the engine started making clanging noises at higher rpms. I went right over to Infiniti of massapequa. They werent completely helpful breaking me the news my engine was blown. They made it seem like I was neglecting having oil changes. Although as I just said I was putting 2 quarts in every months on my own. I have all the receipts to prove I bought all the Mobile 1 oil. This is helping me vent since my wife is tired of hearing about my engine.

Well I will be the first to say the oil consumption issue has not been resolved in 08. Possibly this was a bad batch of new VWEL engines although I have a feeling somewhere in the machining process they have some flaws. Why else would these engines have these problems?

Any feedback on this topic from the board?
I am having the same issues with my G37s. I've already taken it into the dealer 3 times due to the oil consumption and engine knock. I recorded the knocking and the dealer along with Infiniti Consumer Affairs refuse to view the video. They reset the ECM and said it required Estor oil, which they put into the car--this has not fixed the knocking. I acquired my G37s in September 08.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:43 AM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Silly question here, but how do you know when the car needs additional oil? By checking the dip stick?
Old 06-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Achilles

I've heard of the G35's high oil consumption but this is the first time I've heard of the G37 having this issue. Keep us updated on what Infiniti will do for you.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:07 PM
NitricO2NY

Originally Posted by Achilles
I've heard of the G35's high oil consumption but this is the first time I've heard of the G37 having this issue. Keep us updated on what Infiniti will do for you.
The Infiniti consumer affairs regional rep wants me to seek a second opinion through another Infiniti dealership here on Long Island before I'll keep you apprised as to the outcome.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:07 PM
xref

My car has 23K miles and I don't have this issue. Definitely check your oil levels guys, this is a major issue.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by blackfunk
Silly question here, but how do you know when the car needs additional oil? By checking the dip stick?
Yes, that is generally how this is accomplished. If there is not the proper amount, it is low and you should add more oil up to the full level. Not through the dipstick hole, but through the oil fill cap. Don't fill past the full mark, that's bad too.

OP, if you are still around what was the outcome in your case?

I'm quite interested in the few cases who have had posted here about HR's losing oil. I'd like to know what the deal is in these cases because it isn't common.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:52 PM
kieranlavin

Now that I read this post, my wife's car only has 8000 or so miles on it and it's a year and a few months old. The first oil change was done at Infiniti as she had it in for a different issue at the time. The second oil change I remember checking it ahead of time and it was a little low. Maybe 1/2 quart? I need to check it and change it now that she's driving it more since it's getting nicer out.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Half a quart low over the course of a full OCI isn't going to be an excessive consumption issue I wouldn't' think, especially at such relatively low mileage.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:13 PM
kieranlavin

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Half a quart low over the course of a full OCI isn't going to be an excessive consumption issue I wouldn't' think, especially at such relatively low mileage.
I agree but definitely something worth keeping an eye on. I pay so much attention to the other cars that her G sometimes gets overlooked. She drives it every once in a while and I don't want it to be 3/4 of a quart at the next interval and the next thing you know it's excessive. The 1/2 quart could've been user error too
Old 06-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kieranlavin
I agree but definitely something worth keeping an eye on. I pay so much attention to the other cars that her G sometimes gets overlooked. She drives it every once in a while and I don't want it to be 3/4 of a quart at the next interval and the next thing you know it's excessive. The 1/2 quart could've been user error too
If it does get excessive, historically, Infiniti has replaced engines

Keep in mind, those engines known for oil consumption were consuming along the lines of 1 qt/1000 miles or more

Quick Reply: G37 Engine - Oil Consumption Issue