Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Cobb test mule

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 03:10 PM
SurgeLineTuning

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by herrjr
That may be so Tim, but here in CA I drive my car in the summer and spring too. And it can be triple digits on some days, so, driving on the road I fully expect to see heat-soak become an issue, and do not overly concern myself with what dyno results show. The point I was trying to make is that the stock intakes are also tested under DRIVING conditions, whereas aftermarket intakes are tested under DYNO conditions. And regardless of how wonderful dyno conditions are, my car is used for driving on roads.

I appreciate your testing very much and the results that you've discovered so far; I can't wait to get an AP for my G. I loved it for my STI when I had it.
I totally get it. I guess we are speaking about two totally important but very different issues.

Dyno testing and the results can be influenced by conditions with less than optimal air flow. Coolant temps and air intake temperature offsets can hugely impact power output and CAN scew results for comparisons. The goal on the dyno is to create consistent conditions when making comparisons.

Your issue is completely relavent and important: Calibrations must be able to perform under conditions where ambient temperatures are very high. This is something i can account for on the dyno by simply using less of my available air flow and this sort of "heat soak" testing is part of creating an optimized and safe calibration.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:21 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You bring up a key issue here: heat-soak. This was a problem that I noticed with my own Injen testing. I didn't bother with attempting to compensate for this issue, because I wanted to see how much it would affect performance, since heat-soaking will inevitably occur during the course of normal driving. And since you saw this on your JWT dynos as well, then it appears obvious that although this or the Injen will make power initially, that over time heat-soak issues will overcome any gains and will result in overall power loss. I am not at all surprised that the stock intake (thus far) continues to out-perform under ALL conditions. I expect, in time, that we'll see one that will truly show power increases under all conditions. However, it remains to be seen as of yet.
The heat soak I am talking about is the heat soak for the engine after it has been ran for awhile especially when ran hard. There is little to no heat soak from my intakes as I can touch them without burning myself.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:22 PM
tfmbigdog99

Location: Where the kids are high and the grades are low. NYC
Alright so enough with the bickering. Is the accessport on its way or no..?
Old 10-14-2008, 07:28 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by tfmbigdog99
Alright so enough with the bickering. Is the accessport on its way or no..?
NOPE!!! Not for a good while.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:07 PM
herrjr

Originally Posted by SurgeLineTuning
I totally get it.
Agreed. I just had to reply since I found it shocking that your test results were questioned in such a manner, as to suggest that somehow your own results were flawed, while that tester's test results were beyond dispute.

Originally Posted by bboysteele
The heat soak I am talking about is the heat soak for the engine after it has been ran for awhile especially when ran hard. There is little to no heat soak from my intakes as I can touch them without burning myself.
That sounds like a situation that would be covered under my prior statement: "since heat-soaking will inevitably occur during the course of normal driving." Thus, we're both talking about heat-soak occurring in the same way.

And, I must say that I'm rather amazed, that your intake doesn't get hot enough to unsafely touch. After using both the Injens and JWT, I found both intakes' pipes would inevitably get too hot to touch. Perhaps CO air is magical or something.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:12 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Agreed. I just had to reply since I found it shocking that your test results were questioned in such a manner, as to suggest that somehow your own results were flawed, while that tester's test results were beyond dispute.

That sounds like a situation that would be covered under my prior statement: "since heat-soaking will inevitably occur during the course of normal driving." Thus, we're both talking about heat-soak occurring in the same way.

And, I must say that I'm rather amazed, that your intake doesn't get hot enough to unsafely touch. After using both the Injens and JWT, I found both intakes' pipes would inevitably get too hot to touch. Perhaps CO air is magical or something.
Im in oregon and my JWT always are to hot to touch .. Same with any other intake that was not plastic..
Old 10-14-2008, 10:33 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

It does as long as you are talking about the engine. If you are just talking about the intake then no. The statement you made seem just to point to the intake. Heat soak affects the car after a while which takes away power no matter what intake you have on it. Now if you have an intake this is prone to heat soak then it will loss more power.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:35 AM
wcirksena

Any news on the accessport release date?
Old 11-01-2008, 12:38 PM
rossab

We should put together a pool on this. $2 to enter and the winner gets the pot. Closest to the actual release date wins. Ties will result in a split pot.

I'm taking hmmmmm.........

February 6th, 2009
Old 11-01-2008, 08:18 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Jan. 12/2009
Old 11-01-2008, 10:22 PM
KahnQuistador

June 6, 2010
Old 11-04-2008, 04:12 PM
willizm

The following was posted over at forums.cobbtuning.com yesturday by JoeGR
----------------------------------------------------------------
G37 AccessPORT is in Beta testing and almost ready to go :-)

Today we have been doing the final run through on the AccessPORT software and we are just waiting for all the maps.

Joe
Old 11-04-2008, 05:15 PM
SurgeLineTuning

Originally Posted by willizm
The following was posted over at forums.cobbtuning.com yesturday by JoeGR
----------------------------------------------------------------
G37 AccessPORT is in Beta testing and almost ready to go :-)

Today we have been doing the final run through on the AccessPORT software and we are just waiting for all the maps.

Joe
An AccessPORT will be a great EARLY Christmas present.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:27 PM
NJlakeshoreG
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SurgeLineTuning
An AccessPORT will be a great EARLY Christmas present.
hell yea!!! lol
Old 11-04-2008, 06:09 PM
willizm

I'm not sure If I'm excited about it now. I don't know if the predelivered maps are going to work well on modified cars. Haven't really seen a definitive answer. I really want a tuning solution, but I'm in the Midwest so Tedeshi isn't accessable.

Quick Reply: Cobb test mule