Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Cobb test mule

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 01:10 PM
DanMardik

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sredish
can't wait to hear how it turns out!!!
Seriously!
Old 10-08-2008, 10:25 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey neverbonestock, you took down the dynos again? I need you to post them or send me a copy of the two you posted if you can. Let me know if you can do this.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:16 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
UPDATE 4 ( Cracked 300 hp )

Very interesting day .. Had to do a new base due to putting on 20 " Volks and actually lost hp and tq. So my new base is 285 hp / 241 tq with Cobb Acess Port tune 298 hp / 246 tq and the biggest surprise. ????????? Put in the K&N drop filters and guess what ???? 302 hp and 250 tq .. Wow.. Really wasnt expecting anything out of these .. Tim at Surgeline is going to try and squeeze a little more . Would of been nice to see what the Stillen stage 3 intake does .... Anyways heres the dyno .. Enjoy !!!!!

Last edited by NeverBoneStock; 11-11-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by neverbonestock
Very interesting day .. Had to do a new base due to putting on 20 " Volks and actually lost hp and tq. So my new base is 285 hp / 241 tq with Cobb Acess Port tune 298 hp / 246 tq and the biggest surprise. ????????? Put in the K&N drop filters and guess what ???? 302 hp and 250 tq .. Wow.. Really wasnt expecting anything out of these .. Tim at Surgeline is going to try and squeeze a little more . Would of been nice to see what the Stillen stage 3 intake does .... Anyways heres the dyno .. Enjoy !!!!!
That's an awesome powercurve, looks like I'm going to switch back to my stocks and get some drop-in filters.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Buddy Revell

Originally Posted by neverbonestock
Sounds good. Thanks for the info, bro.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:52 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Update 5

So Tim is going to stay with the tune for 302 hp . He said he really couldnt make any more hp and that this tune is really good . Ok , fine by me .. So I just drove it home and WOW this car pulls in every gear. It just feels better and getting on it is alot more fun. You can actually feel the difference and I have a peace of mind that my mods power have been optimize due to the tune.. Car actually feels different .. The only thing that im kinda bumed about is not being able to test the stillen intake . If that produces power I would want it and it would of been great to see what it would of done with my setup and a Cobb tune... Bummer !!! The journey isnt over yet .. Stage 2 is done but Stage 1 starts next week .. As always will keep you updated ...
Old 10-10-2008, 10:17 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So neverbonestock, did they do a tune with the JWTs at all or did you sell those? Still looking for those dynos...
Old 10-10-2008, 10:25 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

The tune was based off the stock due to them performing better than JWT .Sent you pm with tuner info so your tuner can get the info he needs. Too many dyno to post..JWT havent sold yet .. In classifieds
Old 10-13-2008, 07:58 PM
SurgeLineTuning

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NeverBoneStock
The tune was based off the stock due to them performing better than JWT .Sent you pm with tuner info so your tuner can get the info he needs. Too many dyno to post..JWT havent sold yet .. In classifieds
I can tune for any intake but for now the most simple approach is to use the stock MAF housings that have very predictable and understood flow characteristics.

It was interesting to see that the K&N drop in filters did allow some extra power. This means that there are advatages to using a less restrictive intake. The ideal situation is to have a low restriction intake that flows predictably so that we can tune it appropriately.

COBB Tuning is in the process of making some injection molded intakes for this car that should offer great flow character with reduced restriction. I will spend some considerable time generating AccessPORT maps to support these and other intakes that produce predictable air flow.

Overall, this is a fantastic motor to work with and an unbelievably sexy car to boot. Even I could look attractive in this beast. Yes, 20" volks are sexy. :-)

Best regards
Tim Bailey - COBB AccessECU Calibrator
Old 10-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Buddy Revell

Tuning with the JWTs would've been a good business move, IMO, considering over 70 people on this board own that particular intake.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:51 PM
SurgeLineTuning

Originally Posted by Buddy Revell
Tuning with the JWTs would've been a good business move, IMO, considering over 70 people on this board own that particular intake.
That's great to know. In no way do i wish to dictate the parts people use on these cars. IF these intakes allow the MAF sensor to meter air in a predictable manner then i will eventually make a series of AccessPORT maps for them.

The initial dyno runs demonstrate that the stock calibration is definitely not optimized for the JWT intake. This is exactly why accurate and appropriate calibrations are critical. This expensive part, without proper tuning, actually hurt power in this particular car.

Whenever i see a new car i always start with the most simple tuning setup possible. Nissan engineers took a lot of time and effort to make sure the factory intake calibration was optimized. By using the stock intake FIRST i'm able to work on ignition timing, fuel delivery, and cam timing without worrying about air flow. Once the general tuning strategy for these motors is outlined and better understood, i can take on tuning for any popular intake that proves to be a properly engineered component.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Buddy Revell

Originally Posted by SurgeLineTuning
That's great to know. In no way do i wish to dictate the parts people use on these cars. IF these intakes allow the MAF sensor to meter air in a predictable manner then i will eventually make a series of AccessPORT maps for them.

The initial dyno runs demonstrate that the stock calibration is definitely not optimized for the JWT intake. This is exactly why accurate and appropriate calibrations are critical. This expensive part, without proper tuning, actually hurt power in this particular car.

Whenever i see a new car i always start with the most simple tuning setup possible. Nissan engineers took a lot of time and effort to make sure the factory intake calibration was optimized. By using the stock intake FIRST i'm able to work on ignition timing, fuel delivery, and cam timing without worrying about air flow. Once the general tuning strategy for these motors is outlined and better understood, i can take on tuning for any popular intake that proves to be a properly engineered component.
Thanks for the info. I'm just very surprised that you found that JWT's intake lost power, considering two members here dyno tested the intake and showed some solid gains throughout the powerband.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:07 PM
erasat

Great to know, I hope to hear news from you in the near future.

Custom maps for the JWT and for the rest of new Intakes outthere will mean a huge increase in power for us all, let's encourage these people to make it possible.

Originally Posted by SurgeLineTuning

Old 10-13-2008, 09:21 PM
IvoryG

Do we know if this was a custom tune? Or is this going to be available to the public as an accessport?
Old 10-13-2008, 09:26 PM
SurgeLineTuning

Originally Posted by vrquick
Do we know if this was a custom tune? Or is this going to be available to the public as an accessport?
This tune was done in an effort to create maps that will be publically available for the accessport. THe more we (cobb tuning/surgeline) understand this motor the more refined the calibrations will become.

Regards
Tim Bailey

Quick Reply: Cobb test mule