Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Low oil????

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 09:33 AM
veejayy2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
INCREDIBLE!!- I just traded in my fx45 which burned through oil every two weeks under normal commuting conditions from day one- I carried around 3 quarts of oil at all times and had to add at least 2x between oil changes-more if I did long trips.

Just bought g37s- thanks for heads up. Guess I will have to check more often than I thought.!!!
Old 09-21-2008, 10:39 AM
gbest03

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just did my first oil change at 3400 miles, old oil level was 1/2 way up the dipstick, none added since new.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Thrillhouse

Same here, guess I'm lucky.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Gday
Banned

Originally Posted by erasat
Wow, I just checked mine, curiosity, Low also. I changed it at 3100 miles, car has 4800 miles and low. When I changed it I noticed that it burned about a quart, so I assumed that it was because of Break in, but LOW now, WTF?.

I just left a voice mail to the Service Manager of my local Infiniti (Friend of mine), but if he doesn't answer until Monday I really don't know what should I do? What do you recommend, bought 1 or 2 quarts and use it normally or just schedule a service appointment? If it's for service, is this kind of things covered by Warranty, what are they suppose to do?

They are suppose to report it to corporate, issue a TSB and than give us a new motor. Or they can do what they did last year.. Tell us to use a thicker oil, and just ignore it because "it's normal for a super fast car such as the G37".
Old 09-21-2008, 05:40 PM
Gday
Banned

Originally Posted by gbest03
I just did my first oil change at 3400 miles, old oil level was 1/2 way up the dipstick, none added since new.
So they overfilled the oil? That's not good for the motor. It causes the oil to foam up and provide less lubricant. If the oil level is to high (above the fill line), it could also be a sign of water contamination.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:42 PM
erasat

Well, he called me (Infiniti Service Manager) today and asked me, about when I checked the level, I told him that I did after a 15 minutes trip to my local Pep Boys, he told me to check it now (Hasn't turned it on since I found out yesterday), and when I checked it, the level was higher than medium level .

I'm not a Mechanic or an engines expert, but I didn't know that I needed to check the level when the car is COLD. If I was wrong all this time, sorry guys for adding up to the alarm on a possible major issue, it seems to be normal or almost normal now (accoring to him) eventough it has burned some oil (I estimate around a quart) in about 1800 miles.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:35 AM
NIGHTLFEphantom

Originally Posted by erasat
Well, he called me (Infiniti Service Manager) today and asked me, about when I checked the level, I told him that I did after a 15 minutes trip to my local Pep Boys, he told me to check it now (Hasn't turned it on since I found out yesterday), and when I checked it, the level was higher than medium level .

I'm not a Mechanic or an engines expert, but I didn't know that I needed to check the level when the car is COLD. If I was wrong all this time, sorry guys for adding up to the alarm on a possible major issue, it seems to be normal or almost normal now (accoring to him) eventough it has burned some oil (I estimate around a quart) in about 1800 miles.
hmmm.. I checked the oil again yesterday after leaving the car in my garage for the weekend.. so the car should be cold and then the oil level went back up... weird.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:13 PM
notalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NIGHTLFEphantom
hmmm.. I checked the oil again yesterday after leaving the car in my garage for the weekend.. so the car should be cold and then the oil level went back up... weird.
Not weird at all. When the engine is cold, you have given all the oil the chance to flow back into the crankcase. Otherwise, you are reading only the oil which had a chance to flow back into the crankcase from the time you shut off the engine.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Thrillhouse

Originally Posted by Gday
So they overfilled the oil? That's not good for the motor. It causes the oil to foam up and provide less lubricant. If the oil level is to high (above the fill line), it could also be a sign of water contamination.

Pretty sure "halfway up" means halfway between the high and low lines on the dipstick. I think the engine wouldn't run correctly if it was actually halfway up the entire dipstick.

And yes, oil should always be checked after the car has sat on a level surface for a while. It takes time for all the oil to drain back down into the pan. It doesn't really matter if it's hot or cold.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:45 PM
erasat

Originally Posted by notalk
Not weird at all. When the engine is cold, you have given all the oil the chance to flow back into the crankcase. Otherwise, you are reading only the oil which had a chance to flow back into the crankcase from the time you shut off the engine.
I know about that since I owned cars for the last 20 years, problem is that it seems that our cars take longer than usual. Aas far as I remember I could let the car sit in a level surface for 10-15 minutes and it will read correctly the oil level. When I checked the oil level this Saturday, the car had been off for about 15-20 minutes before I did it, so definitely it wasn't normal for me.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:05 PM
mitssn

I just filled min yesterday... The car has 1800 miles and was over a quart low! WTF!!!
Old 09-22-2008, 02:06 PM
NIGHTLFEphantom

Originally Posted by mitssn
I just filled min yesterday... The car has 1800 miles and was over a quart low! WTF!!!
Make sure you turn your car on, on a leveled surface. Then make sure your car has been turned off for about 30 minutes before opening the hood. Then check the oil again with out starting the car.

Last edited by NIGHTLFEphantom; 09-22-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:12 PM
blue_z

I hope this isn't true. My 06 Z is consuming and thats why I was looking for a replacement G37.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:21 PM
mitssn

Originally Posted by NIGHTLFEphantom
Make sure you turn your car on, on a leveled surface. Then make sure your car has been turned off for about 30 minutes before opening the hood. Then check the oil again with out starting the car.
lol I thoroughly understand how to check my oil. Bottom line is that with 1800 miles on the car, it was over a quart low.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Comatose

Pardon my ignorance, but how many quarts make up the difference between the high and low levels on the dipstick?

Quick Reply: Low oil????