Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Cams??

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Da Hashi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gamedog
Could be anywhere from $750 to $2,400... Depending on the grind... Still verifying though...

James I have a buddy who can hook you up with some custom-ground cams... He's checking to see if they've already sized up the stock cams... If not, then they'd need all 4 of your stockers to work off of... Gimme a call tomorrow if you're interested... I'm thinkin bout doin this too... Not too sure how long it'll take to size the stocks though...
let me know!!
Old 09-15-2008, 02:11 PM
xeroed

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You all might want to take a look at this guide to VVEL from Nissan....

Take a look at this picture of the cam system....The VQ37HR doesn't have old school cam shafts you can just swap out with a more agressive set. The assembly is cappable of full range valve movement so if you want to change valve timing you need to do it in the ECU.

I don't know what vendors are talking about when they say that cams are comming out for the VQ37HR. Are they supposed to be put in the trunk during winter for better traciton, because thats all they would be good for.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Da Hashi

Originally Posted by xeroed

Take a look at this picture of the cam system....The VQ37HR doesn't have old school cam shafts you can just swap out with a more agressive set. The assembly is cappable of full range valve movement so if you want to change valve timing you need to do it in the ECU.

I don't know what vendors are talking about when they say that cams are comming out for the VQ37HR. Are they supposed to be put in the trunk during winter for better traciton, because thats all they would be good for.
really? cant you change cam profile to open quicker and have full valve lift sooner? please explain
Old 09-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Hpauto
Banned

Are you certain about this? How/why would you make a cam for a car that has VVEL which has servos to adjust valve timing?
That was the only info JWT would give me, they just said they are next in line to be "looked at". I will gather more info as they pass it on to me.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:44 PM
xeroed

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You can't change them out because there isn't a cam shaft in the traditional sense to begin with. The valve operation on our cars employs a motorized adjustment of the valves that has an "infinite" amount of adjustment and is cappable of being adjusted on the fly. If the engine had traditional cam shafts like the VQ35/VQ35HR did, then yes you could swap out cam shafts and get better valve timing, but you would then be restricted to only the timing physically set by the cam shaft installed. The VVEL system is superior in the fact that it can be adjusted to whatever "profile" you'd like so long as you have the means to do so. Hopefully ECU reflashes and products like the Accessport can give us the control necessary to make changes to the valve timing for better performance
Old 09-15-2008, 04:01 PM
hgunner

VVEL is only for intake valves. I believe you could change the exhaust valve cam (it appears to be more like a standard cam) but not sure that helps without changing the lift/duration profile on the intake came. I assume you would want to change the cams for a specific purposes such as making a dedicated track car and and give up street drivability. if that is so, I think the VVEL system would get in the way and a VQ35HR engine build might be a better place to start (certainly more after-market products).
Old 09-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Hpauto
Banned

Yeah Im sure if there is a solution than the guys @ JWT will get it figured out. As long as the solution gains power and doesnt lose any driveablity....than it wll be a win-win situation.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:07 PM
04STi208G37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amazed

Originally Posted by Da Hashi
really? cant you change cam profile to open quicker and have full valve lift sooner? please explain

You can't change them out because there isn't a cam shaft in the traditional sense to begin with. The valve operation on our cars employs a motorized adjustment of the valves that has an "infinite" amount of adjustment and is cappable of being adjusted on the fly. If the engine had traditional cam shafts like the VQ35/VQ35HR did, then yes you could swap out cam shafts and get better valve timing, but you would then be restricted to only the timing physically set by the cam shaft installed. The VVEL system is superior in the fact that it can be adjusted to whatever "profile" you'd like so long as you have the means to do so. Hopefully ECU reflashes and products like the Accessport can give us the control necessary to make changes to the valve timing for better performance
I don't mean any harm but I can't believe that someone who owns this car/engine is not aware of this. This influenced my buying decision more than any other factor. I insist on a high tech. It's a must for me. The VVEL is amazing and the description of it satisfied my need to know. Yes, it does change the cam profile and the timing at same time on an infinite curve to have greater lift earlier and longer. Whatever the engine needs/can deliver based on your right foot input. A traditional cam swap would be a step backwards for power and fuel efficiency.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:04 PM
hgunner

Originally Posted by 04STi208G37
Yes, it does change the cam profile and the timing at same time on an infinite curve to have greater lift earlier and longer. Whatever the engine needs/can deliver based on your right foot input. A traditional cam swap would be a step backwards for power and fuel efficiency.
Not sure the profile is changed and it is not infinite. It appears that VVEL mostly changes the lift, but the valve opening profile comes from the output cam. So the ECU can really only control the lift, not the profile or cam timing. The current output cam profile has limits to the total lift (important if you are doing internal engine changes).

But an afterrmarket ECU tuner could change the valve lift vs RPM function with a re-flash.

You could in theory also change the input cam (the eccentric cam). In fact it appears like the input cam may be easier to manufacture with standard cam grinders than the output cam would be to machine?

As I understand it, with VVEL you get the drivability and emissions of a low lift cam with the efficiency and peak HP of a high lift cam at higher RPMs.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:31 PM
_jb

Nice find. That PDF is one of the best descriptions I've seen so far... although I don't have a VVEL equipped car.

It will be interesting to see if the ECU flashing companies can decipher the goings on of VVEL and adjust it with a flash. The first guinea pig to try that will be a brave sole.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:50 PM
UpRev

Originally Posted by _jb
Nice find. That PDF is one of the best descriptions I've seen so far... although I don't have a VVEL equipped car.

It will be interesting to see if the ECU flashing companies can decipher the goings on of VVEL and adjust it with a flash. The first guinea pig to try that will be a brave sole.
Or just roll it off a cliff and burn it if it doesn't work.

Actually it's pretty stable in design, the cam phasing is the same basic control as is on the previous cars and works very well. Now it's just adding adjustable lift, and the dynamics of those two devices working together to give the intake cam complete control. Nissan did all the hard work for us.

There should be room left for aftermarket valves, and exhaust cams. Though I seriously doubt many companies are just going to try and jump into replacement intake cams for these motors.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:51 PM
PunKidd

Originally Posted by hgunner
Not sure the profile is changed and it is not infinite. It appears that VVEL mostly changes the lift, but the valve opening profile comes from the output cam. So the ECU can really only control the lift, not the profile or cam timing. The current output cam profile has limits to the total lift (important if you are doing internal engine changes).

But an afterrmarket ECU tuner could change the valve lift vs RPM function with a re-flash.

You could in theory also change the input cam (the eccentric cam). In fact it appears like the input cam may be easier to manufacture with standard cam grinders than the output cam would be to machine?

As I understand it, with VVEL you get the drivability and emissions of a low lift cam with the efficiency and peak HP of a high lift cam at higher RPMs.

Almost . The ECU still controls the output cam via the cam advance solenoids hydraulically (just like it has since the 350Z came out in 2003) so you can tweak the lift and duration w/ the VVEL and you can tweak the timing & overlap w/ the cam advance. It's still not infinite of course (Z/G advance has always been limited to 30 degrees on the intake and exhaust), but it should still give you PLENTY of room to run a slew of cam "profiles" just by tweaking the ECU parameters. I’m not calming to be an expert on this system (yet) since we’ve only just begun to reverse engineer the ECU code and the control algorithms, but I thought I would put forth the little insight I do have thus far.

On another note, our end user system should be out within a couple of weeks now, and although we won’t be able to provide base maps for the guys that just want a flash (no base maps for HR motors yet) it will give those of you how are familiar w/ tuning the ability to start tweaking the factory ECUs on your own right away.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:53 PM
PunKidd

Originally Posted by PunKidd
Almost . The ECU still controls the output cam via the cam advance solenoids hydraulically (just like it has since the 350Z came out in 2003) so you can tweak the lift and duration w/ the VVEL and you can tweak the timing & overlap w/ the cam advance. It's still not infinite of course (Z/G advance has always been limited to 30 degrees on the intake and exhaust), but it should still give you PLENTY of room to run a slew of cam "profiles" just by tweaking the ECU parameters. I’m not calming to be an expert on this system (yet) since we’ve only just begun to reverse engineer the ECU code and the control algorithms, but I thought I would put forth the little insight I do have thus far.

On another note, our end user system should be out within a couple of weeks now, and although we won’t be able to provide base maps for the guys that just want a flash (no base maps for HR motors yet) it will give those of you how are familiar w/ tuning the ability to start tweaking the factory ECUs on your own right away.
Looks like Rich beat me to the punch.

jared@uprev.com
Old 09-15-2008, 08:23 PM
04STi208G37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hgunner

As already stated, the profile is changed. I realize the profile is not infinite but the way I understand it, the variations of combinations of profile and timeing are infinite. The read on the link above is very interesting and has lots of great illustrations.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:56 PM
_jb

Nice to see Jared and Rich over here on the myG37 site.

I'm amazed at some of the possibilities VVEL brings to the table... Software camshafts... Now that will be cool....

Imaging changing camshaft profiles with your five Osiris maps...