Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

knocking/missing noise from engine when idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 11:36 AM
bill90879

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
knocking/missing noise from engine when idle

so I've had this issue with my G for a few months now. After driving my car for a good 10 minutes or so, especially on the highway, if I pull over and put the car in park and just idle... I hear the engine make this weird knocking or missing noise. As soon as I turn the car off and start it again, magically the noise goes away... so I took the car to the car in to infiniti... and the guy heard the noise and said he's never heard this before! so I told him that if he needs to listen to the noise again, he needs to drive around for about 10 mins or so and then idle the car and he'll hear it. This was at 9am this morning...and now its 11:35am... and i just got a call that my car is fixed and ready for pickup!!! wow... I hope its fixed...really wondering what the problem was. I'll keep u guys updated as to what was done, incase any of you are having the same issue.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Good luck.. Keep us updated.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
my guess would be the VVEL Actuator issue... Hope its gone though whatever it was... Let us know what they say...
Old 09-09-2008, 12:07 PM
rawr

maybe you had a dog's head stuck in your belt
Old 09-09-2008, 12:28 PM
bill90879

Originally Posted by bill90879
so I've had this issue with my G for a few months now. After driving my car for a good 10 minutes or so, especially on the highway, if I pull over and put the car in park and just idle... I hear the engine make this weird knocking or missing noise. As soon as I turn the car off and start it again, magically the noise goes away... so I took the car to the car in to infiniti... and the guy heard the noise and said he's never heard this before! so I told him that if he needs to listen to the noise again, he needs to drive around for about 10 mins or so and then idle the car and he'll hear it. This was at 9am this morning...and now its 11:35am... and i just got a call that my car is fixed and ready for pickup!!! wow... I hope its fixed...really wondering what the problem was. I'll keep u guys updated as to what was done, incase any of you are having the same issue.
k just got back...couldnt talk to the mechanic cuz he was out to lunch... but all they did was reprogram my ECM... i took a longer route back to work and drove pretty hard and didnt hear the noise when I got to work... the real test is when I drive home tonight... if it doesnt make the noise once my car is idling in the garage... its fixed!... hopefully it is.... i'll let u guys know...
Old 09-10-2008, 02:17 AM
patmsb1

I have the same problem, will be taking it in this week for reprogram and oil change.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:09 AM
splatt

I think I have the same issue. There's a thread (although inactive) in another forum about this.
Last time I was in for an oil change it wasn't making the noise. I described it and was told that I should try ester oil ($80 when they have it in stock) to make it go away.
After the oil change (non-ester) it seemed to go away for a while but now after about 1000 miles it's back and seems to be gradually getting worse.
If this is oil related, does it mean the engine is burning too much oil? I'm worried that this could be a larger issue after the warranty period.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:56 AM
bill90879

Update

ok guys... so I drove home last night, highway and all... when I got home, I noticed that the noise, although ALLOOTT better now, is still there... I can still hear it... but like I said its alot better now... but its still there. I am trying to get an another appointment soon to take it in again... I guess the reprogramming work to a degree, but something else may need to be done as well? I read in the other thread that there is some new procedure where you have to reset the ECU as well? I dont know, but I'll mention it to the guy next time i take it in... also some guy was saying that you should give it about a week after the reprogramming for the timings to sync up or something?? not sure about that... anyways.. I'll let u guys know what happens, but for now, its alot better than what it was...
Old 09-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Weird... Should've gotten rid of the noise with the TSB work done... They should've reset the ECU after they performed the work BTW...
Old 09-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bill90879
ok guys... so I drove home last night, highway and all... when I got home, I noticed that the noise, although ALLOOTT better now, is still there... I can still hear it... but like I said its alot better now... but its still there. I am trying to get an another appointment soon to take it in again... I guess the reprogramming work to a degree, but something else may need to be done as well? I read in the other thread that there is some new procedure where you have to reset the ECU as well? I dont know, but I'll mention it to the guy next time i take it in... also some guy was saying that you should give it about a week after the reprogramming for the timings to sync up or something?? not sure about that... anyways.. I'll let u guys know what happens, but for now, its alot better than what it was...
Hey, make sure it's not your radiator fan running. I am getting the same sound you're getting (mine is a squealing), but if you stick your hand out infront of the grill in the front bumper and you feel a brush of cold air then you know it's your radiator fan making the noise. I'm going to make an appointment with Infiniti to get this taken care of, just noticed the culprit last night when I had my car idling for a while, Good luck.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:51 AM
bill90879

Back at Dealership again

hey guys, so today was my appointment... dropped the car off this morning to the dealership... same noise coming that was supposed to be fixed with that TSB update for the ECM.

The guy said that they didnt do the oil change and add some additive last time, which they are supposed to do with this update... so they are going to to do the update again, and do all that other stuff that goes with it... so lets see if that fixes it... will probably get the car in the afternoon sometime, and will find out tonight after my drive home, whether the problem is fixed or not... will keep u guys posted...
Old 09-16-2008, 01:35 PM
bill90879

ok...so just picked up my car... they did the reprogram of the EMC again, and changed the oil with ester motor oil... i dont know, i'm not too sure... i think the noise will still be there... i'll find out when I drive home from work tonight... will let u guys know...
Old 09-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Good luck... If it doesn't fix it, tell'em to give you a new friggen engine! Let us know man...
Old 09-16-2008, 02:28 PM
tmartin316

I just took mine in for an oil change today and they told me that Infiniti corporate has told them they must use this 5w30 Ester oil for all oil changes because of this knocking noise. This makes an oil change about $125. What's the deal??? Talk about hidden costs... I'm really beginning to think I made a bad choice...
Old 09-16-2008, 09:47 PM
notalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tmartin316
I just took mine in for an oil change today and they told me that Infiniti corporate has told them they must use this 5w30 Ester oil for all oil changes because of this knocking noise. This makes an oil change about $125. What's the deal??? Talk about hidden costs... I'm really beginning to think I made a bad choice...
The TSB says use of this oil is recommended. That's all. I am going in next week for an oil change. I called my service advisor to make the appointment. I told him I was bringing in my own and filter, like always. He said okay.

Quick Reply: knocking/missing noise from engine when idle