Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Hard Shift Into 1st or 2nd Gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 08:45 PM
skyline370GT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i romp through every gear no problem at 7800 rpm whippin GT mustangs with ease. ( on the drag strip of course *cough cough* )
Old 11-02-2008, 05:49 AM
shabbo
Registered Member

only problem i have is getting used to shifting fast from 4th to 5th....because it ends up in 3rd sometimes!!! very annoying

the gear positions are very well defined so popping out of gears should not be an issue at all, if so then this need to go to the dealership.

if you're skipping gears, then double clutch and go easy else skipping gears is no good on a sequential close ratio.

The transmission oil needs to warm up properly before the synchronos operate in tune.

make sure that the clutch is fully pressed. this is important else the synchros have to carry the momentum of the engine and fail to match shaft speeds unless of course...you're engine speed is rev-matched for the next gear in sequence.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:41 AM
batmobile

I dont know about anyone else, but this car just seems to hate going slow. If I want a smooth ride out of my car I need to take it to at least 4k and shift then. If I shift between 2k-3k or even 3.5k the car it still jerky, unless I hold the clutch a bit longer than I should. Easy fix don't drive slow, haha

As to the 5th grear grinding, ask your dad to take to you and teach you how to drive manual (im just fu**in with you dude)
Old 11-02-2008, 05:29 PM
shabbo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by batmobile
I dont know about anyone else, but this car just seems to hate going slow. If I want a smooth ride out of my car I need to take it to at least 4k and shift then. If I shift between 2k-3k or even 3.5k the car it still jerky, unless I hold the clutch a bit longer than I should. Easy fix don't drive slow, haha

As to the 5th grear grinding, ask your dad to take to you and teach you how to drive manual (im just fu**in with you dude)
+1

I feel the same way...sometimes a passenger will complain as to why am I driving aggressively! ...can't help it...especially in the hills of SF; to shift smoothly you've got to go shift fast before the rpm drops below 4000
Old 11-02-2008, 08:23 PM
rAvi665

i think it has a lot to do with temp of the oil in the transmission. I have had g35c 6mt had same problem from 1st into 2nd. I noticed if I drive the car really aggressively for couple of minutes I didn't notice the problem anymore cuz the oil temp was hotter. It gets even worse in the winter where its even harder to shift because the oil temp and time it take to warm up the oil.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:29 PM
soldier9599
Registered Member

Originally Posted by batmobile

It's never jerky at all if you get it at the right rpm's for the next gear.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:18 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by shabbo
only problem i have is getting used to shifting fast from 4th to 5th....because it ends up in 3rd sometimes!!! very annoying

the gear positions are very well defined so popping out of gears should not be an issue at all, if so then this need to go to the dealership.

if you're skipping gears, then double clutch and go easy else skipping gears is no good on a sequential close ratio.

The transmission oil needs to warm up properly before the synchronos operate in tune.

make sure that the clutch is fully pressed. this is important else the synchros have to carry the momentum of the engine and fail to match shaft speeds unless of course...you're engine speed is rev-matched for the next gear in sequence.
One of the best posts on myg37 so far.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:34 AM
alunserjr

I have 6400 miles on the car. I don't skip gears, I've never done a burn out. On upshifts, I slowly take the car up to about 4k and that seems to be the smoothest shifting point. I do my best to rev match on down shifts. Even so, shifting is getting stiffer/clunkier and there is excessive gear whine.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:34 PM
alunserjr

I finally got the chance to take my car to the dealer today. A tech rode with me to hear the noise. He heard it and suggested I ride in another G37 for comparison. He tried to find a demo/used one with equivalent miles but ended up with a new one with 426 miles on it. I'm thinking thats better at this point to compare something newer to mine with 6400 miles. There was only a slight difference in sound between the two. Mine is a slightly louder - but not significantly so. He explained that the tranny in the G37 is massive and that accounts for the noise. So I think I am just going to monitor mine at this point, and if it gets louder I'll take it back in.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:41 AM
GregUMR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alunserjr
I finally got the chance to take my car to the dealer today. A tech rode with me to hear the noise. He heard it and suggested I ride in another G37 for comparison. He tried to find a demo/used one with equivalent miles but ended up with a new one with 426 miles on it. I'm thinking thats better at this point to compare something newer to mine with 6400 miles. There was only a slight difference in sound between the two. Mine is a slightly louder - but not significantly so. He explained that the tranny in the G37 is massive and that accounts for the noise. So I think I am just going to monitor mine at this point, and if it gets louder I'll take it back in.
Was the whine loud enough you could hear it in the cabin of the car, windows up, radio off? I never noticed any gear whine but after having my synchro's replaced I can hear excessive gear whine from 1st,2nd,3rd, and even 4th gear, all in the cabin under city driving conditions with windows up/radio off. I can hear it even more so with the windows down.

Would you say this is equivalent to your situation? I've been wanting to take mine in but I just get so annoyed of the dealership. Last time took 5 trips, I stayed consistent all 5 times and eventually they admitted they were wrong and did the warranty work. **** shouldn't be like that.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:12 AM
alunserjr

Yes, the whine is noticeable in the car with the windows up and radio off - and much more so with the windows down. I got my car in March of last year and mostly rode around with the windows up. Later in the summer I started riding with the windows down - mostly to hear the sweet exhaust sound. It was then that I started to notice just how loud the noise was while driving slowly to find a spot in a parking lot. The noise definately got louder since I purchased the car. But its not that much louder than a new car - and not tranny swap worthy (at least in my mind) - at this point. I have a gut feeling it gets worse with warm temps. If it gets really annoying - like maybe next spring or summer - I plan to go back and go through the process again with my dealer and compare against a new car. I'm going to continue to drive normally and not baby the tranny - nor will I beat it up either - and keep monitoring it. The new car definately shifted easier - so I'm going to watch that with my car too.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:47 PM
batmobile

I had the same whine noise man, I took mine in and I needed a new tranny. The guy also told me our transmissions where referred to as "bomb proof" evidently they are not. Dont know if you have the same but I had a very pronouce whine while driving. My car is only 90 days old and I bought it with 12 miles on it. Service said this is very rare however they have seen it before. I'd take it in cause if you wait they might try and say consumer error and not cover it under warranty.

Last edited by batmobile; 11-07-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:24 AM
GregUMR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going back home to the dealership I bought the car from for thanksgiving. I figure I'll get better service from them since I bought the car from them and they have other infiniti dealerships nearby for competition. I know for a fact I'd have to run through the GM/corporate to get anything fixed in regards to my car now so I'm reluctant to waste my time with my dealership where I live now. I also am pretty much 100% certain my throw out bearing is shot and ****in up my clutch but they just say its supposed to be that loud. It's so loud that I can hear it in a busy intersection with windows up or down.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:08 PM
alunserjr

Now its Feb and the noise is much louder through all the gears and totally annoying. I have an appt for next Monday for this issue - and the windshield popping noise others are complaining about. Will let everyone know how it goes.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:48 AM
boarderman23

Originally Posted by shabbo
Should I still double clutch if I skip from say 3rd to 5th after accelerating. I often get up to speed using 1-3 then switch to 5th to cruise. I wait for the revs to come down when shifting into 5th, so letting the clutch out after skipping the gear is as smooth as can be.

I don't know much about this, but I don't understand how ever skipping a gear could be bad when its smooth/the revs are match like that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Hard Shift Into 1st or 2nd Gear