Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Hard Shift Into 1st or 2nd Gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 11:34 PM
kool_yaar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People who are experiencing 5th gear grinding, plz STOP skipping gears, i know it sounds weird but 3-4ppl over @ g35driver did taht as well and had the same 5thgrinding issue and ended up getting a new tranny before 20k miles, In response a rep from a local infiniti has advised rightfully to not skip gears as our cars are not designed for it(like corvettes etc), as our trannys are close ratio sequential transmissions. I dont like it anymore than the next guy but thats the 411. Many ppl are arguing how this is wrong but rather be safe than sorry.

Also if you have this problem and go to get this fixed(new tranny) dont tell the dealer you were skippin gears.

Please read thsi for yourself, i thought i would give a heads up to all the ppl here. G35 Driver Gear Skipping

G/L
Old 09-09-2008, 12:25 AM
PSYH
Post Whore

So what are you saying... skipping gears causes premature wear to the syncros, which in turn causes the grinding? I would imagine if you rev match then this whole thing is moot.

I've never experienced any grinding in 5th or the shifter popping out into neutral... only thing I've noticed is it's not always easy shifting from 1st into 2nd, but I find that if I don't force it, it goes in easier (go figure).

And I believe it's a "feature" that it locks out 1st if your car is moving...
Old 09-09-2008, 06:23 PM
kool_yaar

^ Well that my stand as well and i have been doing so successfully for 21k+ miles, i myself have not experienced the grinding or the poping out of the gear and am quiet happy with my tranny.

However, im just passing the word along which was posted by someone who knows these cars well, i have ever since changed my driving style a bit to avoid any such conditions, its everyone's own decision.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:09 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't get how skipping gears is bad if matched properly. Does someone have a good technical explanation for why this would be bad?
Old 09-10-2008, 08:12 PM
vINCe_Inc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
I don't get how skipping gears is bad if matched properly. Does someone have a good technical explanation for why this would be bad?
i dont think there can be a logical explaination for ruining your tranny when you skip gears. the only outcome is the extra strain you put into the teeth of the gears from matching the wrong gear to the car speed, resulting in extra load. i think if you do it properly and remove any sort of human error from it, skipping gears does not do anything at all to your tranny.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:30 PM
kool_yaar

^ +1, i could not have explained it in better words myself...
Old 09-10-2008, 10:47 PM
GiGGaplease

Originally Posted by kool_yaar
People who are experiencing 5th gear grinding, plz STOP skipping gears, i know it sounds weird but 3-4ppl over @ g35driver did taht as well and had the same 5thgrinding issue and ended up getting a new tranny before 20k miles, In response a rep from a local infiniti has advised rightfully to not skip gears as our cars are not designed for it(like corvettes etc), as our trannys are close ratio sequential transmissions. I dont like it anymore than the next guy but thats the 411. Many ppl are arguing how this is wrong but rather be safe than sorry.

Also if you have this problem and go to get this fixed(new tranny) dont tell the dealer you were skippin gears.

Please read thsi for yourself, i thought i would give a heads up to all the ppl here. G35 Driver Gear Skipping

G/L
i do not skip gears.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:02 PM
GregUMR

Quick notice to all with 5th gear grinding issues. I had the SAME problem and it was the synchronizers. They replaced them and the issue is gone. I also used to skip gears from 2nd to 5th quite often, but I always rev matched, on the way up and the way down. Really odd to me that the tranny can't handle rev matched gear skipping.... I always fully press the clutch pedal when switching too.

Ever since they replaced the synchro's I've noticed the tranny whines. The throw-out bearing/flywheel noise is louder now as well I told them to document my complaints of the throwout bearing being seized and the noise being too loud so that later on if it goes out I can point to it and show them it was not wear and tear but a bad throw out bearing. Especially since I started noticing it around 1800 miles....
Old 09-11-2008, 04:18 PM
teedough

read your manual on when to shift. shifting at lower rpms are muchhhh smoother
Old 09-21-2008, 09:08 AM
alunserjr

I have about 5k on my G37S 6MT and really notice: 1-gear whine is excessive - louder than the exhaust (unless I floor it), most noticeable up to about 40mph. 2-shifting into any gear takes more effort/force than it used to - but no grinding - but definitaley a strong notchy feeling that wasn't there before. 3-I have the noise others are reporting with the clutch out at idle, but I almost never drive or sit in my car in that manner.
I am taking my car in for service for the gear whine and forceful shifts soon. Will let you know what my dealer says.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:36 PM
DrJones

Originally Posted by stylez09
Second gear has known to be jerkier than the other gears in this car. I notice the most grinding going into Reverse, but once i put back to neutral then back to reverse it is smooth.

I am having a major issue with this. Everytime I shift from 1st to second the car has a damned seizure.... So now I just skip 2nd and go from 1st to 3rd.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:39 PM
jinu123nyc

Originally Posted by Stylin G
I have noticed a little bit of a difficulty getting the car into first and 2nd gear at times, but after a little while I've gotten used to it. My biggest problem that I've noticed is that 5th gear grinds all the time even with the clutch all the way down.
I thought the problem was because I was upshifting too high because I like to get on it through 1st and 2nd and then calm down by shifting into 5th and it grinds like a ****. Then when I was racing my buddy in his g35 on the high way I went to shift from 4th into 5th and it also grinded every time. I don't know if something is wrong with the syncs or not but everytime I go to shift into 5th with high rpms this happens.
I just started having this problem too. Did you get yours checked out by the dealer?
Old 11-01-2008, 12:08 AM
G37Rider92649
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
duuude i just bought my 6mt today, awwww man i should've got Automatic huuh?
Old 11-01-2008, 12:33 AM
kool_yaar

well with 26k on the odo and 22+months no compalins here, couldnt be more happier, the shifts are so nice a nd precise and smooth for me, as far as im concerened its about the driver, though some trannies are faulty. But im full satisfied and am still found looking for a reason to drive!!
Old 11-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Don't slam gears.

Don't skip gears.

Shifting quickly puts more strain on synchros.

Skipping gears puts more strain on synchros.

Quick Reply: Hard Shift Into 1st or 2nd Gear