Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

User Experiences? > Innovate OpenTune TM OBD-II / CAN Interface

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 01:11 AM
chamelieon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KahnQuistador
I'd like to see what that Blitz throttle controller does to the TPS trace and also see if the timing trace follows changes in TPS.

Could the Hondata be modified to work with these ECUs?
no way, completely different hardware. but im sure if the honda people took a crack at a nissan ecu they could possibly decipher it.. but judging by how long its taking hondata to release a kpro for the 06+ Si which is DBW im guessing its a lot harder than the non DBW. so you can imagine on this dual TB cow of a car. lol
Old 09-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Buddy Revell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chamelieon
Well guys picked up the new OT1 unit last night from my trusty parts guy, which might i add gave me an excellent deal.

today is installed the software and read the entire manual, making sure there was nothing that i wouldnt already know. its pretty straight forward. after the logworks is installed, it installs the programmer and all the OT usb drivers.

*the CD came with logworks 2.05 or something. there is already a 3.0+ version available, dont know why they didnt include the newest one on the cd, but you can download it from the support page on the innovate website, which is what i did and installed the newest software (which i may add looks 10x better than the last one!!)

once you plug in the unit into the OBD port which is located right by the hood release lever, it lights up (car on or off) then i connected the usb cable to it and my laptop and let windows recognize it and install the drivers. once thats complete you can open up the programmer (you cant have the programmer and logworks running at the same time, they both share the same com port and only 1 can work at a time.)

the programmer is basically sets up the OT1 unit so it knows what to log and how to do it. the menu setup with the tabs is pretty straight forward. this is where you select how many channels you want to log. (i noticed you can select the channels but that amount gets negotiated with the ecu, something i noticed, you dont get what you select but if you keep choosing a higher number the ecu lets you have more. i only need 4 at the time being.

now you move onto the logworks and once you connect the gauges become alive and show you the streaming data. which was very fast and pretty smooth.

My main concern is to prove just what exactly the ecu does to the Throttle DBW, that is the sole limitation were going to have with the car being its not something we can just easily mod and adjust to our liking. so my 1st test was to prove exactly just what the ecu does and put an end to the myths!

if you notice where it says "TPS" i pointed to the peak of the red graph which is peak throttle and you see parameters on the far right corner.

this was a 3rd gear pull started at 1500 RPMS, right about the 4 1/2 second marker on the bottom. pull lasted to about 6500 rpms, i thought i had enuff space to redline but definitely did not. had to cut it short.

unfortunantely the ecu controls our asses!! LOL.. i hit pedal to floor at 1500rpms, and was only given 25% until 2000rpms which them i was blessed with 86%, by 4400rpms it was down to 81.9% and by 6500 it was 79% and seems to have flattened out and i definitely dont see it going any higher by redline. i would assume it will stay at 79% until redline or worse. (until next session)

i was impressed by the timing given by the ecu which is pretty decent timing advance, started off at 32adv and went down a little bit and averaged 28 and 29 the rest of the way. so it sure it taking use of the 93 octane lol.

so there you go guys, excellent logging tool, im going to be playing with it a lot more and find out everything i can about what the ecu is doing behind our backs. and figure out if the factory o2 sensor is wideband and just how rich the motor is running.

so until next time, peace out!
Thanks for researching this, chamelieon. Do you have the stock intakes or an aftermarket one? I was wondering if you could use the OT-1 to monitor intake temps when driving normally, aggressively, at idle, etc.? If you have stock intakes, you can use this as a baseline to compare to the temps to an aftermarket intake, if you get them down the line.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Dieseldoug22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I noticed with a cold air intake in the bumper and the vents cut out the intake temp is on average 5 - 7 degrees hotter than the outside air temp. At whatever the ambient temp. is. Idling gets to around 130 - 140 deg.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:31 PM
chamelieon

actually i have some custom intakes i made myself. 3" aluminum pipes from the throttle bodies to the filter boxes. I want to fab up a MAF mount on the piping so i can get rid of the filter box and make the piping a lot longer. but I also have the stock rubber intake tubing in case for comparison. Im looking to hop back on the dyno one of these days and compare my baseline to the custom intakes.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Buddy Revell

Can you monitor your A/F ratios with the OT-1. It would be interesting to see what they are like with your custom intakes.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:47 PM
chamelieon

Originally Posted by Buddy Revell
Can you monitor your A/F ratios with the OT-1. It would be interesting to see what they are like with your custom intakes.
yeah thats the next most important thing i want to do, im just hoping the stock o2 primary sensors are wideband, which i have a good feeling they are.. there are like 15 different o2 parameters on the list for the OT1 so i didnt spend much time trying to find it. but im going to figure that one out asap.

btw my car did 285whp SAE on my dynojet 248x, had about 800miles or so. now its at 2900. i will do a new baseline the same day i test out the new intakes.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Buddy Revell

camelieon, how easy is it to check and clear OBD-II codes (Check Engine lights). I was gonna buy an OBD-II reader anyway, but if the OT-1 can do the same things AND monitor all these different engine stats, I might just buy that instead. All-in-all, do you recommend the OT-1? At $150, it seems like a pretty good deal for what it does.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:51 PM
chamelieon

camelieon, how easy is it to check and clear OBD-II codes (Check Engine lights). I was gonna buy an OBD-II reader anyway, but if the OT-1 can do the same things AND monitor all these different engine stats, I might just buy that instead. All-in-all, do you recommend the OT-1? At $150, it seems like a pretty good deal for what it does.
actually i had completely forgot it did that too until i was reading the documentaion it came with and playing with the LM programmer program it has its own separate tab for it. so bumping into it i was really pleased to know i can clear my own codes and it displays them as well. here check it out.

like i said i got a great deal on this unit and i believe its worth every penny so far, so let me know what deal u end up getting.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:17 PM
Thrillhouse

Is the TPS readout just reading the throttle butterfly position, or is it a percentage calculated by the VVEL system actuating the valves?

Also I bet this explains why the engine seems to hesitate a little when you get on the gas at low RPM in 2nd gear. The ECU won't give you more throttle until 2000RPM.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:06 AM
Buddy Revell

chamelieon,
Have you tried using a VGA or DVI-to-component video adapter so you can display the info from your laptop on your nav screen, kinda like a cheapie version of the Magden and HKS Camp2 computers?
Old 09-19-2008, 08:38 PM
chamelieon

chamelieon,
Have you tried using a VGA or DVI-to-component video adapter so you can display the info from your laptop on your nav screen, kinda like a cheapie version of the Magden and HKS Camp2 computers?
that is a very good freaking idea.. hahaha my laptop does have video output, just gotta find the right cable.. ill definitely be looking into this. im sure it can be done.. and the gauges displayed by the OT-1 program can be altered a million ways. so they would definitely show up nicely on the screen.

btw- seems the OT1 shows every vital bit of info we would ever need for any sort of crucial logging for tuning purposes. i can read even the O2 voltage and im glad to say it is definitely wideband. the voltage drops around 4500 rpms or so and remains steady, kinda telling me its running richer via the ecu.

also the other post i showed of the TPS trace during a test run is wrong, im not sure what tps value it reads but in actuality i found the correct TPS reading and it does exactly what the other does BUT it keeps the throttle showing 88.7% all the way until 6k or so that i did the run in. i still yet have not done a datalog until redline.

but in short. seems like the OT1 was made especifically for our cars. shows a TON of info. and it logs FAST! all the data recorded is VERY smooth. documentation says some cars will read choppy and so on, but on 6 channels of info i had, all the data is butter smooth!

if anyone has any data on the voltage and AFR values of our stock o2 wideband sensors, then i can figure out a conversion chart. working on this currently.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:52 AM
oct2274

I'm pretty sure the magden was able to show that our O2 sensor was wideband. Talk to Lou and see what he has come up with.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Thrillhouse

Can the OT-1 read the oil temp sensor?
Old 09-20-2008, 08:30 PM
chamelieon

Originally Posted by Thrillhouse
Can the OT-1 read the oil temp sensor?
wow didnt even know we had one. i have no idea on that one yet.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:32 PM
chamelieon

ok.. placed the order for the S-video to RCA video out cable. should have it sometime next week, when i get everything running ill try and grab a video of the OT1 running on the nav screen.

Quick Reply: User Experiences? > Innovate OpenTune TM OBD-II / CAN Interface