Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Anyone had or heard of this one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 10:13 AM
geoffh47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone had or heard of this one?

I have g37 8,000kms two weeks ago driving on the hwy, the Auto transmission lost power, engine would rev, very little power getting to the wheels, had to pull over. Got the car towed back to the dealer. Problem was diagnosed as the engine/transmission computer, I had to wait a week for the dealer to order the new computer from Japan. I picked up the car a couple days ago. Now I noticed a slight knocking sound coming from the engine. I never had this sound before.
I only hear it, on idle after the car has been driven at least a good hour or more on the hwy. If the car is started cold I don't hear it, or if i turn the engine off and on again the sound is gone!! I brought the car back to the dealer let a technician hear the noise, he said because its a new computer it may take a few days for the computer to adjust the engine idle timing, he suggested I drive it for another week and if its still making the sound, I should bring it back and they can adjust the idle timing.
Has anyone ever eperienced anything like this? Does the technician's suggestion make sense? I'm just hoping i'm not doing any damage to the engine by driving it. The technician says no, but i'd like a few more opinions.
Thanks
Old 08-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It might be what he said about the timing being off because of the new ECU, but im 90% sure its the VVEL Actuator... I had this same noise you're talking about a month and a half or so ago... Would only happen after driving for more than 45 minutes... There's a TSB on this in the TSB Section... Print it out and take it to them to fix it... Should take them about an hour or so... You're not doing too much harm to the engine considering I drove with that noise for about two weeks and nothing happened... So far... Hehehe...
Old 08-27-2008, 12:19 PM
geoffh47

Hey, thanks alot for that, I printed out the TSB, makes sense. I will go back to the dealer and at least have them check out if they need to reprogram the ECM.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:19 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by geoffh47
I have g37 8,000kms two weeks ago driving on the hwy, the Auto transmission lost power, engine would rev, very little power getting to the wheels, had to pull over. Got the car towed back to the dealer. Problem was diagnosed as the engine/transmission computer, I had to wait a week for the dealer to order the new computer from Japan. I picked up the car a couple days ago. Now I noticed a slight knocking sound coming from the engine. I never had this sound before.
I only hear it, on idle after the car has been driven at least a good hour or more on the hwy. If the car is started cold I don't hear it, or if i turn the engine off and on again the sound is gone!! I brought the car back to the dealer let a technician hear the noise, he said because its a new computer it may take a few days for the computer to adjust the engine idle timing, he suggested I drive it for another week and if its still making the sound, I should bring it back and they can adjust the idle timing.
Has anyone ever eperienced anything like this? Does the technician's suggestion make sense? I'm just hoping i'm not doing any damage to the engine by driving it. The technician says no, but i'd like a few more opinions.
Thanks
I think I read a TSB for something about engine knocking when idle but I don't remember. Maybe someone can look for you. If not I will do a search tonight when I get home as long as someone bumps this thread sometime today.

Nevermind.....maybe if I read all of Gamedog's post.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:23 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Originally Posted by geoffh47
Hey, thanks alot for that, I printed out the TSB, makes sense. I will go back to the dealer and at least have them check out if they need to reprogram the ECM.
No prob Bob... Keep us updated bro... Welcome BTW!
Old 08-27-2008, 05:27 PM
DanMardik

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most probably the actuator issue. Take it in to the dealer, don't waste your time on these boards.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
VVEL Actuator was my initial thought as well... Let the dealer worry about it while you enjoy their loaner.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:54 PM
geoffh47

Hey gentlemen just to give u an update, took the car back to a different infiniti dealer, they said the same thing, reprogramed the ECM took about an hour. Took the car on a good three hour drive up to Ottawa this past weekend car drove like a dream, no knocking at all thanks guys!

Geoffh22
Old 09-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Nice! Good to hear!!
Old 09-03-2008, 02:08 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad you got it all worked out.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:17 PM
bill90879

hey..i just posted about this today... I guess should've done a search... had the same exact problem you mentioned...the car making a knocking type noise when idle... I took it to the dealership this morning... already have the car back... it says on the sheet that they reprogrammed ECM as per TSB
ITB08-028 operation code DE98AA...whatever the hell that means...i drove back to work after picking the car up just now... took a longer route, drove a little hard... didnt notice the noise... after reading this thread I think my problem is probably fixed too ...thanks
Old 09-09-2008, 04:32 PM
geoffh47

Glad you got it fixed, i found it really annoying, i'm just pissed the first infiniti dealer didn't know what it was, the second dealer knew right away. Guess I know where I'll be taking my car from now on.