Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Master of Paddles - The 5AT/7AT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 03:35 PM
DdotRoq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Master of Paddles - The 5AT/7AT Thread

Most of the threads here involve 6MT, etc., so I figured I'd start a thread, specifically for the Auto owners.

Sign here if you are the proud owner of a 5AT / 7AT owner / Why you chose Automatic as your shifting preference. Expert Paddle shifter? Tell us why / how! Don't have a reason? List your name anyways

I'll start off -

#1 - 5AT - Had a 6MT G35 and while it was great, I was not only afraid of the "Clutch getting stuck issue that was never fixed in the G37", but also, ease of use, and traffic in Miami. I find the power right when I need it - at the Paddles - I also figured - if Ferrari has paddle shifters, why not have it in my G.

**Disclaimer - DO NOT light the fuel - in other words, none of that which is faster 5AT vs. 7AT vs. 6MT, and obviously, no street-racing posts.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:44 PM
blue_z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking at the G37 Sedan as my next car.
Currently I own a 350Z 6MT.

Becausee everyone's ranting and raving about the 7AT, I looked into it and it might be something that I'd be interested in. My only question DdotRoq, since you came from a 6MT, do you miss driving stick?

For me, although the 7AT has perceived advantages in performance and fuel efficiency, I'm hoping it won't be a bore to drive..

Nevertheless, right now I'm leaning heavily towards the 7AT
Old 08-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Hawaiian72099

Honestly I was dead set on getting a 6MT, but salesman took me for a ride in the Sport 5AT it really changed my mind. I never knew there was such a thing as paddle shifters. I know I'm an idiot. But when he took me to a back road and put it in DS I was shocked. This is the first automatic car I have bought ever. Don't really miss MT when I'm in the G. Luckily my wife's 04 IS300 is 5MT so when and if I get the urge to drive stick, I'll just use her car to go to work. Plus on the weekends we use her car cuz of our kids and I am normally the chauffeur, and we always get there faster when I drive for some reason
Old 08-20-2008, 04:06 PM
DdotRoq

Originally Posted by blue_z
I'm looking at the G37 Sedan as my next car.
Currently I own a 350Z 6MT.

Becausee everyone's ranting and raving about the 7AT, I looked into it and it might be something that I'd be interested in. My only question DdotRoq, since you came from a 6MT, do you miss driving stick?

For me, although the 7AT has perceived advantages in performance and fuel efficiency, I'm hoping it won't be a bore to drive..

Nevertheless, right now I'm leaning heavily towards the 7AT
Do I miss driving stick? Barely. My G/f has a manual vehicle and it is fun to drive, I tend to have more fun with the Paddles on my G. I will say one thing - If my G did NOT come with the paddles, aka, I did not get the Sports package, I would have regretted it greatly, and probably traded it in.. The paddles are just a gift to those that can't decide which to get.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:24 PM
GiGGaplease

if the 7at would have came out in 07, i would have gotten it.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:26 PM
ghotnit

I always had manual shift cars but lately I’ve been going auto (guess I’m just getting old). The modern trannys are not like the old Hydro-turbomatics and Powerglide autos of yore. You get most of the ratios (5, 6 and 8 of them) and they shift well too. No more missing shifts, like it was said, easier in traffic and the best is when you’re out on a date and the girl wants to hold hands while driving, no more “Wait I need to shift.” This is great on early dates when you are trying to get close and close the deal. The paddles are great when I feel the need to shift. If the paddles are good enough for Michael, Ralph, Jenson, Fernando and Lewis, they’re good enough for me.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:31 PM
kg37

Originally Posted by DdotRoq
Do I miss driving stick? Barely. My G/f has a manual vehicle and it is fun to drive, I tend to have more fun with the Paddles on my G. I will say one thing - If my G did NOT come with the paddles, aka, I did not get the Sports package, I would have regretted it greatly, and probably traded it in.. The paddles are just a gift to those that can't decide which to get.
I agree. Coming from a 1999 Maxima 5MT, if the g did not have DS mode and manual shift mode (like a plain jane auto which some cars have) I would have bought the 6MT. I love the 5AT. This is my first auto and I have never even had the slightest itch to drive a stick since I've had my G. The performance of the AT is equal to the 6MT IMO which is why I went with the AT (not because of traffic or anything like that). Since I will be done paying for my G in october.... I might go for the 7AT if I still want to drive a G (which I probably will do).
Old 08-20-2008, 04:37 PM
kg37

Originally Posted by DdotRoq
Most of the threads here involve 6MT, etc., so I figured I'd start a thread, specifically for the Auto owners.

Sign here if you are the proud owner of a 5AT / 7AT owner / Why you chose Automatic as your shifting preference. Expert Paddle shifter? Tell us why / how! Don't have a reason? List your name anyways

I'll start off -

#1 - 5AT - Had a 6MT G35 and while it was great, I was not only afraid of the "Clutch getting stuck issue that was never fixed in the G37", but also, ease of use, and traffic in Miami. I find the power right when I need it - at the Paddles - I also figured - if Ferrari has paddle shifters, why not have it in my G.

**Disclaimer - DO NOT light the fuel - in other words, none of that which is faster 5AT vs. 7AT vs. 6MT, and obviously, no street-racing posts.

BTW nice thread. Im also sorry to double post.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:56 PM
04STi208G37
Registered Member

First AT

This is my first auto.

In 03, I was looking at a G35 and an STi. I drove both and bought the STi , figuring I'd go full tilt now and get the G later.

The STi was always a handful. You could barely let go of the steering wheel to shift that 6 speed. I loved that car but I always knew when I got the G35 it would be an automatic. It just seemed like the right tranny for that car. So when I finally go ready to switch.........

I was extremely happy to learn that the new one had not only extra cc under the hood , but also paddles. It's great to be able to grab a gear and go in traffic.

What I am thinking is that Nissan may end up offering the GTR's transmission in other cars. The reviews say they engineered it really well. If it's an option on the 2010 or 11 I am going for it.

Last edited by 04STi208G37; 08-20-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:02 PM
kg37

Originally Posted by 04STi208G37
This is my first auto.

In 03, I was looking at a G35 and an STi. I drove both and bought the STi , figuring I'd go full tilt now and get the G later.

The STi was always a handful. You could barely let go of the steering wheel to shift that 6 speed. I loved that car but I always knew when I got the G35 it would be an automatic. It just seemed like the right tranny for that car. So when I finally go ready to switch.........

I was extremely happy to learn that the new one had not only extra cc under the hood , but also paddles. It's great to be able to grab a gear and go in traffic.

What I am thinking is that Nissan may end up offering the GTR's transmission in other cars. The reviews say they engineered it really well. If it's an option on the 2010 or 11 I am going for it.
+1 on the GTR tranny. If that sh*t is an option im right there with you!
Old 08-20-2008, 05:04 PM
04STi208G37
Registered Member

Technique

As far as using the paddles goes.
I have learned that it helps to touch the brake to down shift and lift the throttle to up shift. It seems to help the TCU respond more quickly. You don't have to use the brake, just touch it enough to light the lights. And you don't have to back off the throttle a lot to up shift. I have learned that if you hold it to the floor or increase the pedal pressure, a delay is more likely.

I did the grounding mod and it does seem to help when used as above.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Roseyhebert

Well for one I don't know how to drive a MT. Where I live there is so much traffic. One minute I would be driving along then the next minute bumper to bumper stop and go traffic. I rather not have to shift 400,000 times between my house and the office. Plus I am really really lazy.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:14 PM
kg37

Originally Posted by 04STi208G37
As far as using the paddles goes.
I have learned that it helps to touch the brake to down shift and lift the throttle to up shift. It seems to help the TCU respond more quickly. You don't have to use the brake, just touch it enough to light the lights. And you don't have to back off the throttle a lot to up shift. I have learned that if you hold it to the floor or increase the pedal pressure, a delay is more likely.

I did the grounding mod and it does seem to help when used as above.

The method for downshifting you mentioned works. I also use it. As far as upshifting goes, I do not experience any delay when I hold the gas to the floor while paddle shifting. Who knows, ,maybe im blind. LOL!
Old 08-20-2008, 06:26 PM
Oggie

I too choose to have AT instead of MT because of relax cruising. Less worries in dense traffic. I even took my AT to the track. It performed quite well. There are times that I do wish for a MT but they would eliminate my wife from driving it....may not be a bad thing. Hehe. Overall, I am quite happy with it.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:30 PM
johnnyg

5AT here and i really enjoy it. I always preferred MT but with the wife you know....anyway I got the 5At knowing I would rarely if ever let her drive the G. She has issues with hitting stationary objects ( see previous thread to that effect). My sense is that it shifts faster than anyone this side of F1 can with the MT. The notion that 7 gears on the 7AT offers performance gains i find dubious. More shifting same power band. Mostly 7AT are for gas mileage but manufacturers talk about performance gains to justify the R&D money spent to build them.

Quick Reply: Master of Paddles - The 5AT/7AT Thread