Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Blackstone Laboratories Oil Analysis Reports

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 09:08 PM
Krzysztof47
Premier Member

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
@Krzysztof47 Lower Flashpoint ? Did you start the car to move it onto ramps to change the oil, then turn it off before allowing it to warm up? One of their Podcasts I listened to said that this could cause excessive fuel in the oil, which would lower the flashpoint.
Sorry for the delay. I had the oil changed at a shop as I had other items done. I am not sure how to the point their sample taking was.

That is interesting, I would not be surprised if that was the case. Thank you!
Old 08-17-2023, 09:20 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 284 Likes on 238 Posts
Here's the analysis I received back from Blackstone for the Nissan Ester oil I'm running. The MolyB is high, but I believe that is a known additive in the NE oil.
I'll run another UOA at 3K miles on the current fill to see how much the viscosity changes as that's the only thing I see that that's off slightly.

The following users liked this post:
Krzysztof47 (08-17-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 09:34 PM
Krzysztof47
Premier Member

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts
Nice to see a report on the Nissan Ester Oil.
Old 08-19-2023, 03:41 AM
Scarlet FTNT
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jb5674
BTW - for all you oil junkies out there...

Mobil1 is trash.
Royal Purple is good stuff.
The BEST is AmsOil. The big thing here (and its on their website w/ proven tests) ITS THE OLNY OIL TO NET DYNO GAINS!!!
SO - You change to AmsOil and your car WILL dyno more HP. I've used this in many car and extended the oil change interval in doing so.
Assuming oil viscosities are same and, give or take some additives and science, how can that be? (Oil adding appreciable hp. How much?) Especially extending OCIs.

I don't disagree with your assessment of Amsoil, as a whole, but more horsepower (with longer OCIs minimizing the additives and science)? Idk

Tell me more.
Old 08-19-2023, 10:43 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Scarlet FTNT
Assuming oil viscosities are same and, give or take some additives and science, how can that be? (Oil adding appreciable hp. How much?) Especially extending OCIs.

I don't disagree with your assessment of Amsoil, as a whole, but more horsepower (with longer OCIs minimizing the additives and science)? Idk

Tell me more.
MotoIQ is one of my favorite sources for objective information on our platform: https://motoiq.com/nissan-370z-bad-n...-or-reality/3/

"In lab testing of test coupons, the Nissan Super oil with hydrogen free DLC coating had the friction reduced by 60-75 percent over conventional oil with no coating. This equated to a around a 40% reduction in total valvetrain friction in a real motor and a 20-25% reduction in total friction of the motor! This is a significant result which should show real gains in fuel economy and probably something like 1-1.5 hp per cylinder at high rpm over an uncoated valvetrain with conventional oil."

My car runs much better with this oil (quiet, MPG and pulls harder on longer drives), but of course its controversial because Nissan branded it and the base oil used is conventional (see my report above, the viscosity starts to break down at 2500 miles). So I'd give it a B- for the base oil and an A+ for the additive package. My understanding is that Eneos created the package for Nissan, so I will try their X Prime product if I can find it here in the states as I like that it has both SN and ACEA C3 certifications and claims to be a full synthetic base: https://eneos.asia/product/eneos-x-p...acea-c3-5w-40/

I change my oil at 5 months or 3K miles, so the shearing of the conventional base on the NEO doesn't concern me, but I would like to test others as I know these motors run hot and destroy oil quickly.

I would really love to monitor my oil temperature, but do not want to pay a monthly/weekly fee for the Torque app, so I am patiently waiting for @MotorvateDIY to release his application. I was even reading on the 370Z forum that when the new 370Z platform was being tested, that they installed oil coolers during the testing and considered providing them as an option on the stock vehicle because of the heat this platform generates as it struggles to push alot of oil through a large pump over the VVEL vlavetrain. Not sure if that is fact, but it sounds logical.

Krzysztof47 (08-19-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 05:03 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Krzysztof47
Nice to see a report on the Nissan Ester Oil.
You and the others were right about Blackstone as their customer service is best in class. I spoke to an analyst named Brett today and she fully explained my results. Essentially, she said that the wear is excellent with the NEO, and the shearing observed would be at the higher end of a good 5W20, which makes sense for an oil with a conventional base. I think that I will do one more change with the Ester oil, then switch to Eneos full synthetic to compare as I understand Eneos makes the additive package used in the NEO.

Next up is my son's Ford Ranger with almost 200K miles. That should be a little more exciting than my G.
Krzysztof47 (08-21-2023)