Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Blackstone Laboratories Oil Analysis Reports

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 05:47 PM
BxG3?
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Been meaning to post this here.... Hopefully the next one I send is just as good as this
The following users liked this post:
BULL (07-09-2021)
Old 01-26-2023, 06:34 AM
ChefMatt
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Oil Analysis Report

Just got my oil report back, sent in a sample after 2500 miles of driving. My usual oil change interval is 3000 miles with a filter change every other time. I'm at 140000 miles now, I commute 80 miles a day and drive this car hard. It has always done everything I asked of it with no complaints....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MB G37-230107.pdf (85.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 01-26-2023, 10:39 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 727 Likes on 565 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefMatt
Just got my oil report back, sent in a sample after 2500 miles of driving. My usual oil change interval is 3000 miles with a filter change every other time. I'm at 140000 miles now, I commute 80 miles a day and drive this car hard. It has always done everything I asked of it with no complaints....
Iron and Copper are below average even if you were to make it to 5k which means that parts made of these metals are wearing great.
Unsure if you have plans for another one however you should submit your vehicle to Blackstone recommendations to see how yours compares.

Example:
Aluminum is at 4 at 2500 miles. At 5100 miles they have an average of 5 which double your miles might bring that 4 closer to 5 or past it.
Zinc would follow the same example.

The engine wont be hurt during this comparison and in all reality changing the oil at the same intervals would mean you'll have much more data to compare whenever you develop some issues.

Another example: If you pay attention to Silicone values, you are at 12 with an average value of 21. Though 21 seems high this is because most of the data members have sent have been with aftermarket filter which let more sand(silica) in the oil. This would mean to me that you are still running factory filters or in great shape. Increases in this silica will wear an engine down sooner period, you would see the result in a count of copper/iron which if you see the average it's at 11 for iron and 7 for copper.

Old 01-26-2023, 12:29 PM
ChefMatt
Registered Member

Thank you for the input Bull. I am planning on sending another sample in to Blackstone after a couple of oil changes now that I have a baseline. Pretty happy with the results though, I was actually checking for coolant, I am losing about +/- 1 oz per week from the radiator. Installed a new rad cap, checked for leaks visually...going to do a u/v leak test eventually.
As far as the air filters, I ran K/N oiled filters for a couple of years, currently have AEM dry since 2021. Again thanks!
Old 01-26-2023, 01:55 PM
BULL
Moderador

Thank you for the input Bull. I am planning on sending another sample in to Blackstone after a couple of oil changes now that I have a baseline. Pretty happy with the results though, I was actually checking for coolant, I am losing about +/- 1 oz per week from the radiator. Installed a new rad cap, checked for leaks visually...going to do a u/v leak test eventually.
As far as the air filters, I ran K/N oiled filters for a couple of years, currently have AEM dry since 2021. Again thanks!
Sounds like the AFE are doing a great job. On the coolant, by any chance do you have any type of silicone hoses?
I get s slight permiation through the hoses, I smell coolant on after 1 hour of commute only get it at idle. The U/V will determine where however in my case it's due to the hoses which I can live with.

Old 01-27-2023, 08:12 AM
ChefMatt
Registered Member

I have a couple of smaller silicone hoses, but the upper and lower rad are Gates rubber, or whatever. I smell a bit of coolant occassionally after my commute as well, maybe it's just the smell of hot VQ hahaha. My heater hose blew at around 120k, I still have olfactory flashbacks from that :-}. The coolant loss of 1 oz per week was prior to that issue btw.
Old 01-27-2023, 01:44 PM
BULL
Moderador

I have a couple of smaller silicone hoses, but the upper and lower rad are Gates rubber, or whatever. I smell a bit of coolant occassionally after my commute as well, maybe it's just the smell of hot VQ hahaha. My heater hose blew at around 120k, I still have olfactory flashbacks from that :-}. The coolant loss of 1 oz per week was prior to that issue btw.
A lot of folks who complain about this exact smell have silicone hoses, regardless of how many you should look for dry spots on the hoses themselves. Utilizing OEM coolant which dries and puddles up into mountains can lead you to figure out from where.
Old 03-17-2023, 10:59 AM
ChefMatt
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
A lot of folks who complain about this exact smell have silicone hoses, regardless of how many you should look for dry spots on the hoses themselves. Utilizing OEM coolant which dries and puddles up into mountains can lead you to figure out from where.
Hey Bull I found the source of the smell. Damn. Gonna be tight back there! Any advice? Maybe move this to another thread haha

Old 06-27-2023, 10:31 PM
Krzysztof47
Premier Member

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
I thought I would share this engine oil report for my G.

Car has little over 127K miles on it. I used Nissan Ester 5W-30 oil on it for some time and then made the switch to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 for some time now. The oil was changed at 3000 miles with filter, now it is around 3750 miles with filter. I was using the Nissan oversized filters (15208-9E01A) to be able to add a little more oil to the system. I used them all up and use Nitto 4ND111 filters now which are the same 85mm long length filters for a little extra oil capacity.

Seems Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is a very good quality oil. I looked at other brands and it seems in most "tests" and reports this oil comes out top. If others have an oil they think is better I am all ears!

Old 06-28-2023, 09:45 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 263 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by Krzysztof47
Car has little over 127K miles on it. I used Nissan Ester 5W-30 oil on it for some time and then made the switch to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 for some time now.
@Krzysztof47 Did you ever run the analysis on the 5W-30 Nissan Ester oil?

Also, is this where you sign up for the analysis kit: https://www.blackstone-labs.com/prod...ree-test-kits/

I've completed this form several times, but have never received a kit, email to conform, etc. Are there other oil analysis companies people have used in addition to Blackstone that provide more feedback during the process?
Old 06-28-2023, 10:07 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,281 Likes on 1,036 Posts
re: Blackstone Lab, that is the link and I am SHOCKED that you did not receive a kit. I ordered one a few months back and it arrived within a week. I then decided to order a 2nd kit for my beater and that also arrived fast. I have not returned them as I have not changed the oils yet. I would shoot them a email or quick call and inquire. They usually have top-notch customer service.
Old 06-28-2023, 11:07 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

The first form submission was only a week or so ago, so I'll be patient. I thought that there would be some form of email confirmation.

Thanks for the insight.
Old 06-28-2023, 08:13 PM
Krzysztof47
Premier Member

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
@Krzysztof47 Did you ever run the analysis on the 5W-30 Nissan Ester oil?

Also, is this where you sign up for the analysis kit: https://www.blackstone-labs.com/prod...ree-test-kits/

I've completed this form several times, but have never received a kit, email to conform, etc. Are there other oil analysis companies people have used in addition to Blackstone that provide more feedback during the process?
I am sorry but I never did, it would of been interesting to see for sure.

Yes I got it from there. I would email them, they will respond by email. They answered all my questions. Their email is: bstone@blackstone-labs.com

Blackstone seems to be the most mainstream, I would give them a shot.

Old 07-24-2023, 11:23 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

I am sorry but I never did, it would of been interesting to see for sure.

Yes I got it from there. I would email them, they will respond by email. They answered all my questions. Their email is: bstone@blackstone-labs.com

Blackstone seems to be the most mainstream, I would give them a shot.
I changed the oil over the weekend and sent in the sample today. I even called as I had a few questions. Very responsive and helpful. I will post the results of the UOA here once received. My OCIs are <3k with Nissan Ester, so I’m expecting the results to be uneventful.

Note that they also have a podcast that’s pretty good called Slick Talk

Last edited by socketz67; 07-30-2023 at 07:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Krzysztof47 (07-25-2023)
Old 07-30-2023, 07:37 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

I thought I would share this engine oil report for my G.

Car has little over 127K miles on it. I used Nissan Ester 5W-30 oil on it for some time and then made the switch to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 for some time now. The oil was changed at 3000 miles with filter, now it is around 3750 miles with filter. I was using the Nissan oversized filters (15208-9E01A) to be able to add a little more oil to the system. I used them all up and use Nitto 4ND111 filters now which are the same 85mm long length filters for a little extra oil capacity.

Seems Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is a very good quality oil. I looked at other brands and it seems in most "tests" and reports this oil comes out top. If others have an oil they think is better I am all ears!

@Krzysztof47 Lower Flashpoint ? Did you start the car to move it onto ramps to change the oil, then turn it off before allowing it to warm up? One of their Podcasts I listened to said that this could cause excessive fuel in the oil, which would lower the flashpoint.

Quick Reply: Blackstone Laboratories Oil Analysis Reports