Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Blackstone Laboratories Oil Analysis Reports

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 11:38 PM
Veloz G

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Frankly, after seeing these good UOAs with 26K clocked on the engine, I'll buy whichever one is available in 5 qt jugs at the local walmart (~$25)...buying either one in quart bottles elsewhere is ridiculously pricey. Strangely, I always seem to only find the PP jugs...and that's ok with me. If I ever see both jugs stocked and they are not priced too far apart from each other, my preference will likely be for the Pennzoil Ultra because of the improved engine cleaning claim. For me, I can't really go wrong with either one.

Last edited by Veloz G; 03-29-2011 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 03-28-2011, 10:01 AM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Veloz G
For me, I can't really go wrong with either one.
+1. For your "budget" option, both Platinum and Ultra have shown good results in this engine.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:03 PM
tharbemiko

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do people here agree that having more moly is good? I'm just wondering because on the BITOG site it basically raves about the benefits of moly. I'm currently planning to use PP on my next oil change (the case is sitting on my shelf) but the UOA's here show lower levels of moly compared to M1. I'm completely clueless about suitable levels of particular metals, but are PP's lower moly levels ("lower" compared to M1) sufficient?
Old 04-04-2011, 08:38 AM
KLB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tharbemiko
Do people here agree that having more moly is good? I'm just wondering because on the BITOG site it basically raves about the benefits of moly. I'm currently planning to use PP on my next oil change (the case is sitting on my shelf) but the UOA's here show lower levels of moly compared to M1. I'm completely clueless about suitable levels of particular metals, but are PP's lower moly levels ("lower" compared to M1) sufficient?
I can say that the UOAs for PP in the G37 have been much better than those from M1.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:47 AM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tharbemiko
Heres a little more on moly:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...il-to-use.html

Both PP and PU have shown good UOA's despite their lower concentrations of molybdenum.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:33 PM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CougarRed
So I got my first "baseline" UOA for future trending comparisons. Here's the background:

1. Stock 2010 G37 Sedan 7AT
2. Oil change at 400 miles to Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5W-30 with PureOne filter
3. Oil change at 1400 miles to Castrol Syntec Blend 5W-30 with PureOne filter
4. Sample taken at 2800 miles on unit, 1400 miles on oil
5. 100% city/short trip driving on Sample, sometimes at freeway speeds. I drive about 14 miles a day on average (the Sample was in the engine 100 days).

Analysis by Dyson/MRT
V40C = 51.8
V100C = 9.2
Visc Indx = 162

TBN = 4.4
TAN = 2.39

Flash = 380
Fuel = 0.568
Oxid = 12
Nit = 7

Soot = 0
Glycol = 0.12

Additive Metals
Calcium = 2107
Magnesium = 9
Zinc = 917
Phosph = 743
Moly = 27
Barium = 0
Antimony = 0
Boron = 17

Contaminent Metals
Silicon = 48
Sodium = 83
Pot = 3
Vanad = 0

Wear Metals
Iron = 18
Copper = 72
Lead = 5
Chrom = 0
Alum = 7
Tin = 0
Nickel = 0
Titan = 0
Silver = 0

Latest UOA

Driving conditions: similar to last UOA
Oil in use: EcoPower 10W-30
Filter in use: PureOne
Miles on oil: 2670
Months on oil: 6
Miles on car: 5525
Months on car: 12

Analysis by Dyson/MRT
V40C = 52.9
V100C = 8.9
Visc Indx = 148

(Surprised at the shear of a 10W30 oil)

TBN = 2.8
TAN = 3.15

(TAN is high. Could be from gasoline additive I use.)

Flash = 315
Fuel = 1.33

(Flashpoint is down due to a significant increase in fuel dilution.)

Oxid = 16
Nit = 8

(Combustion efficiency still excellent.)

Soot = 0

(PureOne filter doing its job.)

Glycol = 0

Additive Metals
Calcium = 1698
Magnesium = 8
Zinc = 787
Phosph = 475
Moly = 23
Barium = 0
Antimony = 0
Boron = 79

Contaminent Metals
Silicon = 25
Sodium = 82
Pot = 0
Vanad = 0

(Nice to see Silicon down from 48. I expect more improvement in Silicon through the break-in period.)

Wear Metals
Iron = 10
Copper = 32
Lead = 4
Chrom = 0
Alum = 2
Tin = 0
Nickel = 0
Titan = 0
Silver = 0

(Iron, Copper, Lead and Alum are down from a combined 102 PPM to 48 PPM despite increased miles on this UOA. Shows the oil protects the engine well despite the increased fuel dilution and high TAN level. All the wear metals are now below "Universal Averages" except Copper, which should continue to trend downward through the break-in period.)

I changed the oil and will run another 6 months on EcoPower 10W30 with a new PureOne filter.

Last edited by CougarRed; 05-06-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:08 PM
ucla bruin

Good results with ENENOS on 7600mi interval change at 62000mi.

Name:  ENEOS7500.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  148.5 KB
Old 06-29-2011, 02:55 PM
Falcons023

Anybody has UOA available for Valvoline SynPower for VQ37? Going to change my oil soon and the independent shop has Valvoline.

My G37 is currently running on dealer Mobil dino oil. I am still undecided whether i should try Valvoline or just go and buy Penzoil Ultra.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:25 AM
CougarRed

FWIW, the Blackstone Universal Averages seem to inflate Iron and Copper by including results from new engines that have not been broken in.

Based on a cursory review of UOA reports posted here and BITOG, for daily drivers (i.e. no track days) with over 20K miles on them, the wear metal Universal Average is more like:

Alum - 5
Chrom - 0
Iron - 11
Copper - 6
Lead - 5
Tin - 1
Old 07-21-2011, 01:21 PM
HelloNewman

First Oil Analsysis on 2010 G Sedan - Pennzoil Ultra

Decided to give Blackstone a try. Wanted some reassurance on engine condition, and pushing my oil change interval to 6K miles, which is almost quarterly with my long work commute.

<O</OI picked up my 2010 G Sedan for a good price last Feb with about 20K miles on it. I've got 32K now already so it's broken in. I'm pretty certain it was a Hertz rental in former life, but you could never tell by the condition. I guess 1 year was not long enough for the joy riders who “drove it like they stole it” to dog it out. I live in the New Olreans area. Nice hot ambient temps. I drive somewhat aggressively, but my G can handle a lot more than I put on it.<O></O>
<O></O>
So I did my first change at 25K miles to get the Dino oil out. Put the PU in and ran for 5,850 miles before recent change and pulling sample. I used a Mobil 1 oil filter last time, and a K&N on my recent change. Air filters are stock Nissan.<O></O>
<O> </O>
Very happy with the results on my PU 5W30 oil. Metals low; TBN still surpisingly strong. The Infiniti stealership did the oil change before selling at 20K and that's probably where the residual sodium comes from. I read somewhere that they use Mobil Dino oil; and sure enough I checked a VOA and there’s plenty of sodium in the Mobil.<O></O>
<O> </O>
Maybe I’ll send another sample next year to see how clean the PU has my engine.<O></O>
<O> </O>
For all those critics out there who like to read oil threads and complain about oil threads… I already know. Your oil is great, and mine sucks. All API oil is the same. Oil analysis doesn’t matter… and (insert Charlie Brown noises here)<O></O>
Attached Thumbnails Blackstone Laboratories Oil Analysis Reports-070711redg372010.jpg  
Old 07-21-2011, 03:44 PM
ak47
Banned

yo so at the end of the day what the best oil for our cars. i guess mobil 1 is out. too much sodium. my car needs a diet. which oils better for the car and boasts hp. pm me or post up. thanks.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:38 AM
HelloNewman

Originally Posted by ak47
yo so at the end of the day what the best oil for our cars. i guess mobil 1 is out. too much sodium. my car needs a diet. which oils better for the car and boasts hp. pm me or post up. thanks.
That's right, the last thing we need is high blood pressure in our engines....

Well, I'm a mechanical engineer, but not an auto expert. I've read and used many oil analysis reports in my day though. Mobil 1 is good oil, and I used it for years on my last car, but had no oil analysis done. Mobil 1 does not have any sodium to speak of, and sodium isn't really a concern, just something Blackstone picked up that didn't belong in the Pennzoil.

There are so many variables when choosing an oil. But for an average shlub like me, not racing, synthetic user, change oil at least 4 times per year, going over 5K between changes... When comparing used oil reports for our engines with similar total mileage Pennzoil Ultra and Pennzoil Platinum results are consistently looking good.....and better than Mobil 1 IMHO.

Then again, for guys who like to change their oil every 3K miles and often, the benefit from synthetic is questionable.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:35 AM
CougarRed

Originally Posted by HelloNewman
Decided to give Blackstone a try.
Nice report!

Since you have a long commute (24K miles a year), most of your driving is done on at highway speeds, right?

I've yet to see a G37 owner who puts a bunch of highway miles on a broken-in engine post anything but an excellent UOA.

Schedule 2 (highway only) says change the oil every 7500 miles. I bet you can find an oil + filter combination that will serve you well for 9-10K miles if you were interested in pushing it that far.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:28 PM
HelloNewman

Originally Posted by CougarRed
Nice report!

Since you have a long commute (24K miles a year), most of your driving is done on at highway speeds, right?

I've yet to see a G37 owner who puts a bunch of highway miles on a broken-in engine post anything but an excellent UOA.

Schedule 2 (highway only) says change the oil every 7500 miles. I bet you can find an oil + filter combination that will serve you well for 9-10K miles if you were interested in pushing it that far.

Probably all true. I'm only in stop n go traffic for about 25 - 30% of the time. Also getting 25 mpg overall, which is better than I expected. I'll stick within the Schedule 2 limits since the warranty is in effect. Not to mention - I love my G.

I already know I'm crazy, but the engine got quieter with each oil change out, even from PU to PU. The power of suggestion.......
Old 07-29-2011, 02:38 PM
Brooklynstar23

Anyone have a UOA for Motul 300v 5w30??

Quick Reply: Blackstone Laboratories Oil Analysis Reports