Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Blackstone Laboratories Oil Analysis Reports

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 07:55 AM
KLB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BradManUWF
Car is still made in Japan by a Japanese company and they're all built the same. A warranty for one is the same for the other.
Warranties are not the same in every country. They have to follow local laws. That can allow them more to be more or less stringent depending upon the laws.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:06 PM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Baseline UOA

So I got my first "baseline" UOA for future trending comparisons. Here's the background:

1. Stock 2010 G37 Sedan 7AT
2. Oil change at 400 miles to Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5W-30 with PureOne filter
3. Oil change at 1400 miles to Castrol Syntec Blend 5W-30 with PureOne filter
4. Sample taken at 2800 miles on unit, 1400 miles on oil
5. 100% city/short trip driving on Sample, sometimes at freeway speeds. I drive about 14 miles a day on average (the Sample was in the engine 100 days).

Analysis by Dyson/MRT

V40C = 51.8
V100C = 9.2
Visc Indx = 162

(Sheared to 20W. Will no longer be using Syntec Blend)

TBN = 4.4
TAN = 2.39

Flash = 380
Fuel = 0.568
Oxid = 12
Nit = 7

(Excellent combustion efficiency with Nitration at 7 and Fuels dilution at 0.568 - can the rings be sealed already??? I hope I can keep Nit/Fuels at those levels)

Soot = 0

(PureOne doing its job)

Glycol = 0.12

Additive Metals
Calcium = 2107
Magnesium = 9
Zinc = 917
Phosph = 743
Moly = 27
Barium = 0
Antimony = 0
Boron = 17

Contaminent Metals
Silicon = 48
Sodium = 83
Pot = 3
Vanad = 0

(The silicon is high. But I have seen much higher silicon readings on UOAs from fresh G37 engines. I expect this to trend down through break in).

Wear Metals
Iron = 18
Copper = 72
Lead = 5
Chrom = 0
Alum = 7
Tin = 0
Nickel = 0
Titan = 0
Silver = 0

(Pretty pleased here. All of the wear metals are at or near "Universal Averages" already except for Copper. And I have seen much higher copper readings on UOAs from fresh G37 engines. Further, I expect Copper, Iron, Lead and Aluminum to trend down through break in).

I will be running EcoPower 10W-30 from ~2.8K-6K miles.

Last edited by CougarRed; 10-25-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:30 PM
BradManUWF
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
doesn't matter. These are warranty policies from Corporate Infiniti for the Middle East. It's BS but there's not much you can do.
That F'ing sucks. "You have to put this crappy dino oil in or you'll void your warranty". Common sense def lacking over there...
Old 10-24-2010, 03:14 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Considering how much oil the country he lives in exports.... it would totally make sense
Old 11-03-2010, 06:26 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
anyone running M1 0-W40
Old 11-03-2010, 11:07 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Also I would think because of the cars VVLE that 0-w50 would do well do to the heat.

ENEOS 0W-50

Nippon Oil | ENEOS 0W-50
Old 11-05-2010, 03:38 PM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
My most recent UOA:

1st UOA was done with Nissan Ester Oil on 4/26/10, 2nd one was with Redline on 10/23/10. Car was driven pretty spiritedly over this OCI and considering Im right in the middle of break in, Im pretty happy with the results.

Name:  RedlineOilAnalysis.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  82.4 KB

If you compare the Redline specs to the Nissan Ester oil specs, the Redline concentrations of detergents and Moly are relatively similar. Boron, Calcium, Mg, Phos, and Zinc are all very close and Redline is one of the few oils that has the high concentration of Moly that the Nissan Ester oil does. Nissan should have just spec'd Redline as their "ester" oil.

The big difference is its made with a higher base group so it doesnt shear and it can last for longer OCI's, unlike the Nissan oil.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:13 PM
SM_Shadowman

Here's with Eneos 5w30:
Old 11-17-2010, 11:27 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CougarRed
I will be running EcoPower 10W-30 from ~2.8K-6K miles.
Nice report!

Just curious, why EcoPower? Think it's good oil? Sounds like it's better for the environment.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:08 PM
dainjarouz
Premier Member

This is my first oil analysis. Got the oil changed at Montclair Infiniti and they told me that they use Chevron 5w30. I'm pretty happy with the numbers.

Name:  E32138.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  108.1 KB
Old 11-22-2010, 09:17 PM
tquill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Castrol GTX 5W-30, K&N HP 1010 oil filter

Attached Thumbnails Blackstone Laboratories Oil Analysis Reports-g37-oil.jpg  
Old 12-06-2010, 07:29 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 12-07-2010, 08:35 PM
bythabay
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Hello all,

I already created a separate thread for this but now I've realized perhaps the best place to post this is in this thread

I found some great papers on DLC, some even published by nissan scientists! I got access to the databases where the papers were stored and I shall be posting the PDFs here. See some initial papers attached.

I only read a part of one of them so far, but the results are very interesting.

Abstract
This paper presents a material combination that reduces the friction coefficient markedly to a superlow friction regime (below 0.01)
under boundary lubrication. A state approaching superlubricity was obtained by sliding hardened steel pins on a hydrogen-free
diamond-like carbon (DLC) film (ta-C) lubricated with a poly-alpha-olefin (PAO) oil containing 1 mass% of an ester additive. This ta-C/
steel material combination showed a superlow friction coefficient of 0.006 at a sliding speed of 0.1 m/s. A hydrogencontaining DLC
coating/steel combination also showed a lower friction coefficient in air than a steel/steel combination, 0.1 vs. 0.8, but no large reduction
was observed when the sliding surfaces were lubricated with ordinary 5W-30 engine oil and the PAO oil containing an ester additive. The
friction coefficient of the hydrogen containing DLC/steel combination lubricated with the PAO containing an ester additive was above
0.05. On the other hand, the superlow friction performance demonstrates that the rolling contact friction level of needle roller bearings
can be obtained in sliding contact under a boundary lubrication condition. It is planned to apply this advanced DLC coating technology
to valve lifters lubricated with a newly formulated engine oil in actual mass-produced gasoline engines. A larger friction reduction of
more than 45% is expected to be obtained at an engine speed of 2000 rpm.
Super low friction of DLC applied to engine cam follower lubricated
with ester-containing oil

Abstract
The effects of added materials such as metals like titanium (Ti), molybdenum (Mo) and iron (Fe) diamond-like carbon (DLC)
films on boundary lubrication and microtribological properties were investigated. The nanoindentation hardness and microwear
resistance can be improved by adding the proper metal to DLC films, as evaluated by atomic force microscopy (AFM). Boundary
lubrication properties of DLC films with metals are improved as comparing with DLC films without metal under lubricant with
both MoDTC and ZDDP additives. Moreover, lower friction coefficient of l ¼ 0:03 than carburized steel is exhibited with the
appropriate quantity of Ti added. The tribochemical reactant was formed on the sliding surface of the Ti-containing DLC film
like as carburized steel. Higher mechanical damping materials containing elements, such as Mo, Zn, P and S, formed tribochemical
reactors as observed by X-ray photoemission spectroscopy (XPS) and AFM force modulation methods.
Improvement of boundary lubrication properties of diamond-like
carbon (DLC) films due to metal addition

Abstract
Fuel economy and reduction of harmful elements in lubricants are becoming important issues in the automotive industry. An approach to
respond to these requirements is the potential use of low friction coatings in engine components exposed to boundary lubrication conditions.
Diamond-like-carbon (DLC) coatings present a wide range of tribological behavior, including friction coefficients in ultra-high vacuum
below 0.02. The engine oil environment which provides similar favourable air free conditions might lead to such low friction levels.
In this work, the friction and wear properties of DLC coatings in boundary lubrication conditions have been investigated as a function of
the hydrogen content in the carbon coating. Their interaction with ZDDP which is the exclusive antiwear agent in most automotive
lubrication blends and friction-modifier additive MoDTC has been studied. Hydrogenated DLC coatings can be better lubricated in the
presence of the friction-modifier additive MoDTC through the formation of MoS2 solid lubricant material than can non-hydrogenated DLC.
In contrast, the antiwear additive ZDDP does not significantly affect the wear behavior of DLC coatings. The good tribological performances
of the DLC coatings suggest that they can contribute to reduce friction and wear in the engine, and so permit the significant decrease of
additive concentration.
Boundary lubrication mechanisms of carbon coatings by MoDTC
and ZDDP additives
Old 12-08-2010, 01:02 AM
BradManUWF
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bythabay
Hello all,

I already created a separate thread for this but now I've realized perhaps the best place to post this is in this thread

I found some great papers on DLC, some even published by nissan scientists! I got access to the databases where the papers were stored and I shall be posting the PDFs here. See some initial papers attached.

I only read a part of one of them so far, but the results are very interesting.

Super low friction of DLC applied to engine cam follower lubricated
with ester-containing oil

Improvement of boundary lubrication properties of diamond-like
carbon (DLC) films due to metal addition

Boundary lubrication mechanisms of carbon coatings by MoDTC
and ZDDP additives
So what do these thesis abstracts mean in English? lol, I talk computer science and Navy, so the engineering/chemistry doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:41 AM
bythabay
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by BradManUWF
So what do these thesis abstracts mean in English? lol, I talk computer science and Navy, so the engineering/chemistry doesn't make much sense to me.
I am CS myself so I am no expert in this field, but within these papers lie the answers to the questions everyone is asking.

Quick Reply: Blackstone Laboratories Oil Analysis Reports