Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Enginte cut-off at 6200 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 12:20 PM
oct2274

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this all points to a thread that i had posted a while back about using a lower temp t-stat.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction/182624-lower-temperature-thermostat.html

obviously running a lower temp t-stat will keep the block and heads cooler, in turn keeping the oil temperature slightly cooler as well, again in turn keeping the computer from pulling timing which causes the power loss.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:51 PM
DanMardik

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So it seems as if your cars are going into LIMP MODE due to high temperatures. This is the same issue that's been haunting BMW 335 owners. BMW added an additional oil cooler as a response/fix to this issue, yet there are owners who still experience the temperature LIMP MODE often after spirited drives.

This is really a crappy problem to have.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:09 PM
alunserjr

This is the Motortrend article in reverse - the Infiniti limps home. They would have encountered this probably after a couple of more laps. How do we let Infiniti know of this problem? The dealer isn't interested and has indicated that as long as the problem doesn't happen during "normal" driving - it isn't an issue. But really - why add cat backs, headers, intakes, brakes - whatever - if the guy in the Subaru Outback is going to blow by you because your engine just quits?! This sucks! It makes me think I just bought a poser. I would spend the $ to get an additional oil cooler myself - if I could just confirm thats what it needs.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:21 PM
oct2274

an oil cooler would most certainly help this as well, but a thermostat is much much cheaper!
Old 08-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Thrillhouse

anybody know where the stock oil cooler is? Is it part of the radiator stack or is it in a wheel well?
Old 08-07-2008, 12:15 AM
oct2274

hmmmm, i haven't really looked. I wasn't even aware there was one haha.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:37 AM
rawr

is this really serious? this car has this problem that the engine just quits? what kind of lame bs is that? they were supposed to have a made "the car the for money" not "the car for the quitters" or the car with the engine that "couldn't" i mean common if this is really the case then i am highly disappointed IMO
Old 08-07-2008, 02:15 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why does everyone think that this happens to every G37 car? Seriously, one person has posted this problem and only one person. This might just be a issolated issue. Who else on here has tracked their car? Have any of you had this issue? I haven't tracked mine yet but I hope to do this in the next month or two so I will let the OP and others know if I have this same issue.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:14 AM
DanMardik

Originally Posted by bboysteele
Why does everyone think that this happens to every G37 car? Seriously, one person has posted this problem and only one person. This might just be a issolated issue. Who else on here has tracked their car? Have any of you had this issue? I haven't tracked mine yet but I hope to do this in the next month or two so I will let the OP and others know if I have this same issue.
good point
Old 08-07-2008, 03:35 AM
G37RacerX

Originally Posted by bboysteele
BBoy, If you read all the replies before you post, you'll see that I also experienced this "rev limit lowering" and I was not even on a track, just uphill driving and repeatedly slowing and accelerating. I would definitely not go so far as to call it limp mode however as it only cut approximately 1000 rpm off the top end. Doesn't the BMW cut out at around 3000 rpm? Big difference, I could still haul some serious *** even after it happened, just not all out...
Old 08-07-2008, 04:37 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So now we got two people but yours wasn't on the track like the OP is talking about? Still doesn't seem to be a valid point to imply that all G's do this. It wasn't you that said this but the person who posted before me and another poster. This has yet to happen to me in my daily aggressive driving. I will be taking it to the hills this Saturday so maybe I will see something similar. Until more people track there car and see a this same behavior, it is not smart to assume every G37 does this. Until more people do this then I would just assume that this is isolated and to look at each of your cars to see what the problem might be. It seems that is what the OP is doing.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:55 AM
alunserjr

The oil cooler is mounted in front of the radiator. So far 3 have reported this issue in this thread. A fourth is doing an HPDE on Aug-12. I agree that the cutoff isn't as bad as the BMW, but it is a cutoff - and one that did not occur for the other cars I was running with, including the BMW 335 with the updated oil cooler. I think it is a design issue for all G37's, just one that most people may not encounter - unless they drive their car to its potential for about 20-minutes. I apologize for the inflamatory style in my last post - I just got back from the left coast and it was a long day - I'll try to keep it civil.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:08 AM
weave

I drive the @#$% out of my car and have never seen this....BUT, I have never been on a track with it.

I have a training track at my disposal and will make a point to go down there after I get back from vacation and see what happens.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:23 AM
notalk

A few questions for the people who have experienced the reduced rev limit. Have you had any codes read? Are you running conventional oil? Have you had the VVEL software upgrade TSB performed? Manual or automatic transmissions?
Old 08-07-2008, 11:44 AM
G37RacerX

Yes, it's not fair right now to say that all G37's will do this. In my opinion, my guess, they all will do it if driven hard enough in the right conditions in the stock configuration. I've only had it happen the one time and it was not on a track BUT, it was uphill the whole way and I WAS driving it like I was on a track, all out and close to it's handling limits.

Originally Posted by notalk
A few questions for the people who have experienced the reduced rev limit. Have you had any codes read? Are you running conventional oil? Have you had the VVEL software upgrade TSB performed? Manual or automatic transmissions?
Have not taken it to dealer or anywhere else to have codes read...
Conventional oil still. (I'm not at 10,000 miles yet)
NO TSB performed so far...
5AT...

Also, this whole issue really doesn't bother me at all as I don't anticipate driving like that for that length of time on any kind of regular basis.

Quick Reply: Enginte cut-off at 6200 RPM