Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

HFC installed- will void warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 11:38 PM
bluenet123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HFC installed- will void warranty

I have FI HFC installed recently and I have scheduled for
service call. I wonder if the dealer could void the warranty by
noticing the HFC.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:39 PM
CrazyRuskie
Crazy Russian Super Mod

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
They can try, but they have to prove that the HFC were a cause for some sort of failure that you are getting your warranty work done on for example.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:50 PM
bluenet123

Thanks.
I hope it all goes well.
I hate to get my warranty void.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:46 AM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
google magnusen-moss warranty act.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:49 AM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bluenet123
I have FI HFC installed recently and I have scheduled for
service call. I wonder if the dealer could void the warranty by
noticing the HFC.
Yeah I orderd my High flows, but sent them back for a refund. When you're screwing with emissions it can come back and bite you hard. Don't say anything about the mods unless someone asks you about them. They may decide to overlook them and not give you any fuss. I've had problems with this in the past with other manufactures and dealerships.

http://autos.aol.com/article/auto-re...31163509990001

...Is a very informative link about the magnusen-moss act and gives pretty good examples. I suggest reading it and knowing your rights that way you won't get taken advantage of.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:03 AM
weave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It will only void the warranty for the CATs themselves and any other componet they can PROVE they casued to fail; which would be NONE.

I would also be willing to bet that the average tech is not even going to notice them. It is not like they look for reasons to not warranty your car. When times are slow, and being paid by the flat rate hour, warranty work is better than no work.

Also, these CATs are 49 state emission legal and do not interfere with the federal emissions tampering laws.

You are also protected by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))
This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of this law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle makers brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:
“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name....” (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

Last edited by weave; 07-15-2008 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:35 AM
todd92

Originally Posted by weave
It will only void the warranty for the CATs themselves and any other componet they can PROVE they casued to fail; which would be NONE.

I would also be willing to bet that the average tech is not even going to notice them. It is not like they look for reasons to not warranty your car. When times are slow, and being paid by the flat rate hour, warranty work is better than no work.

Also, these CATs are 49 state emission legal and do not interfere with the federal emissions tampering laws.

You are also protected by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))
This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of this law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle makers brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:
“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name....” (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).
The ONLY component the could possibly be affected by a HFC is the O2 sensor.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:57 AM
bluenet123

Thanks for your info, guys.
I got my car back from service today afternoon and dealer did not
comment any of my mods.
I guess I over reacted.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:45 AM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bluenet123
Thanks for your info, guys.
I got my car back from service today afternoon and dealer did not
comment any of my mods.
I guess I over reacted.
If you don't mention it, usually they'll overlook the aftermarket. At least you know you're covered incase they do try to point the finger next time. Good to hear everything went smoothly.