Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Stillen Crank Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 11:42 PM
ghotnit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulleys are not really going to give measurable gains in power but what you will notice is faster, effortless revs. It will be a feel thing. This is the same thing with flywheels and other mods that decrease mechanical effort such as roller cams, lighter valves, lighter pistons and the like. The engine will feel more lively and crisp and quicker to respond. The stock pulley is 8lbs and these aftermarket pulleys are 1.5-2lbs, a huge savings in rotational mass. Think of it like how lighter unsprung weight improves handling feel because the wheels and tires are controlled better.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:54 PM
AZg37
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 6 Posts
Install was just short of 2 shop hours, it cost me 130 to have it done. The mechanic said it was quite a bitch to get the stock pulley off, but afte that it was a breeze. I've seen on other cars double digit hp gains with pulleys, so they do offer some hp on different set-ups, not just revs. I'm willing to bet I see an increase, it's not just a feel thing, the car is noticably faster compared to my friends cars, i can't believe its just from the weight reduction. I weighed my stock pulley and it came in at 8.8 lbs, UR pulley was 1.5.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:07 AM
ghotnit

I guess it would depend on the type of dyno. The old rule of horsepower production is move more air to get more power. Pulleys don’t move more air but if the dyno can recognize and measure the energy that was used to spin the part (pulley, flywheel or whatever) you could see a gain. The gist of my post was more power is not the primary reason to lighten rotational mass.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:35 AM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by AZg37
Install was just short of 2 shop hours, it cost me 130 to have it done. The mechanic said it was quite a bitch to get the stock pulley off, but afte that it was a breeze. I've seen on other cars double digit hp gains with pulleys, so they do offer some hp on different set-ups, not just revs. I'm willing to bet I see an increase, it's not just a feel thing, the car is noticably faster compared to my friends cars, i can't believe its just from the weight reduction. I weighed my stock pulley and it came in at 8.8 lbs, UR pulley was 1.5.
WOW !!! I CANT BELIEVE YOUR ACTUALLY SAYING YOUR BUTT DYNO IS TELLING YOU THAT THE CAR IS FATSER !! WOULD THAT BE A MISLEADING FACT LIKE YOU BASHED ME ON WHEN I POSTED MY REVIEW OF THE JWT ??? WHERE IS YOUR DYNO ??? DOES EVERYTHING YOU PUT ON YOUR CAR MAKE IT FASTER ?? IF YOU GO TO MY 350Z.COM THERE IS A GUY WHO BOUGHT THE UR CRANK PULLEY FOR HIS HR AND DYNOED IT AND GUESS WHAT ??? NO GAINS !! SO CAN YOU STOP MISLEADING THIS COMMUNITY IN REGARDS TO YOUR BUTT DYNO !!!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2008, 01:42 AM
TerribleONE453

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
you need to kick it.. ^ we DO NOT have the exact motor as the 350z..
Old 08-27-2008, 01:45 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by neverbonestock
WOW !!! I CANT BELIEVE YOUR ACTUALLY SAYING YOUR BUTT DYNO IS TELLING YOU THAT THE CAR IS FATSER !! WOULD THAT BE A MISLEADING FACT LIKE YOU BASHED ME ON WHEN I POSTED MY REVIEW OF THE JWT ??? WHERE IS YOUR DYNO ??? DOES EVERYTHING YOU PUT ON YOUR CAR MAKE IT FASTER ?? IF YOU GO TO MY 350Z.COM THERE IS A GUY WHO BOUGHT THE UR CRANK PULLEY FOR HIS HR AND DYNOED IT AND GUESS WHAT ??? NO GAINS !! SO CAN YOU STOP MISLEADING THIS COMMUNITY IN REGARDS TO YOUR BUTT DYNO !!!!!!!!
Please don't post all in caps. That is just rude. I doubt this mod will produce real HP but like another person posted it might produce HP on certain dynos because of the quicker spin there should be on the rollers. Now everyone please think about this just a little. If the car revs faster then that means you get to your top HP faster so you will feel a difference in your car and it will be quicker. Just like the blitz throttle control which opens up the throttle better than the stock set up which allows you to move quicker. If you have two G37s with the same HP and one with a stock pulley and one with a Stillen, the Stillen G37 will bet the stock in a 1/4 mile. The same goes for a person with the Blitz and a person with the stock throttle control. Hope this helps people on here because THAT is what each of us here should be doing.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:46 AM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Originally Posted by TerribleONE453
you need to kick it.. ^ we DO NOT have the exact motor as the 350z..
If im not mistaken isnt it pretty much the same engine just bored out to a 3.7 liter ???
Old 08-27-2008, 01:46 AM
TerribleONE453

yes because if you are reving through gears quicker you are obviously going to be putting down better times...
Old 08-27-2008, 02:04 AM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

When it comes to a lighter pulley it does not increase horsepower or allow you to rev quicker . All your doing is making your car lighter . Seven pounds lighter is not going to make you faster . Now if you combine that with other mods like a lighter exhaust and test pipes and remove your spare tire and anything else that you can think of than yeah you will be faster . The best bang for the buck mod for a na car is switching out your gears. That will allow you to rev faster get through the gears quicker and have way better launches !
Old 08-27-2008, 02:11 AM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

When it comes to a lighter pulley it does not increase horsepower or allow you to rev quicker . All your doing is making your car lighter . Seven pounds lighter is not going to make you faster . Now if you combine that with other mods like a lighter exhaust and test pipes and remove your spare tire and anything else that you can think of than yeah you will be faster . The best bang for the buck mod for a na car is switching out your gears. That will allow you to rev faster get through the gears quicker and have way better launches !
Old 08-27-2008, 02:17 AM
TerribleONE453

and how does it not allow your car to rev faster? why would AZ say you can clearly feel the car revving out quicker? also a flywheel doesnt help?
Old 08-27-2008, 02:22 AM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Originally Posted by TerribleONE453
and how does it not allow your car to rev faster? why would AZ say you can clearly feel the car revving out quicker? also a flywheel doesnt help?
Old 08-27-2008, 03:15 AM
AZg37
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 6 Posts
Neverbonestock, if you read my posts you would see I am dynoing, the appointment is for friday, I'm not just reviewing from my butt dyno, it was my initial review before actual numbers. As far revving faster with the pulley, it does, you're an idiot if you think it doesn't. The amount of time it takes my 5AT to go through the rpm's and hit it's shift point has been cut down. I'm hitting second and third gear quicker with the pulley. As far as HP gains, here is how it works. From UR:

100% of the power gains from the stock diameter pulleys comes only from weight reduction versus the factory crank pulley. The reduced weight allows for more power transfer to the drive wheels. Weight reduction is how we are able to increase Horsepower. Each pound of weight removed from the crankshaft is worth approximately 2.7HP and the gains jump even more dramatically with forced induction, nitrous and variable valve timing.

Our engines have VVEL, I don't believe 350z's have VVEL, but i might be wrong. I know VVEL played a big role in all the drama with aftermarket intakes. as far as I'm concerned, we'll see whats up on friday, and I'm sure i'll be correct
Old 08-27-2008, 04:53 AM
chucky

Hp

An old school thought. What is horse power? A unit (550 ft. lb.s per sec.) used to calculate the effort required to move a object. So the heavier the object the more effort (HP) required to move it. The lighter we make our car the quicker it will reach terminal velocity.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:58 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea this is soooo Not accurate... DO you really think a company is going to produce millions of pulley just because buyers like to drop 7 lbs off there car? No...
If thats the case... Ill start charging 250 bucks for a bite of my chit. One nibble off a Turd and you will throw up... therefor losing wieght... hence your car has lost a few lbs... I can even sponsor a few guys who are willing to lose a lil weight for speed Yea thats gross... but its true... a less disgusting way would be laxatives... but dont tell anyone ... it will hurt my sales

Quick Reply: Stillen Crank Pulley