Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Stillen Crank Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 07:19 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by UpRev
The water pump is driven by a belt from the crank, if you're not damping the torsional resonance, then it will transmit to anything also driven by the belt. It might be more of an issue on some cars than others. And it's not something an aftermarket company has any way of testing. Not even the big boys like Edelbrock or HKS have the kind of R&D budgets that an OEM has, nor do they have the knowledge.

Why do you think brands like Koenigsegg, Panoz, etc. use motors from MBZ, BMW or other big OEM companies?

bingo. and using a different size pulley in lieu of a stock size pulley is a means of underdriving (like aem pullies)

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory...CategoryID=108

...it has nothing to do with the harmonic dampening characteristics of the pulley.

as for the VQ, I have never heard of "smaller" pullies being an issue (maybe pulley issues on s/c cars like the stillen or vortech). only the sleeve portion of the crank pulley being too soft that it caused oil to leak at the crank (which again was a quick fix with a sleeve).

Buddy,

just go to newcelica.org...type a search for crank pullies and see how "favorable" they are. i remember key member of that site getting hosed because it was so difficult getting good n/a bolt on mods on the 2zz.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:25 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Buddy Revell
Damn, I must be getting old, because after searching for some of those crank pulley threads on newcelica, I saw that I actually posted on some of them. Haha, don't even remember that:

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/show...northodox+pump
http://www.newcelica.org/forums/show...northodox+pump

wow....old memories...up to this day UR has not held any responsibility for people's engine failures, even when all the damage was consistent and all of them had UR pullies. i believe 6speed and Illusive were the 2 guys who ran their celicas to the 13s n/a.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:55 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Buddy Revell
I think the issue is NOT the size of the pulley, but whether our stock pulleys have a "harmonic damper" that absorbs harmful vibrations. If it does, then buying a lighter aftermarket pulley without one will be a problem, regardless of whether the aftermarket one is the same size as stock. But that's what I'm wondering. Who would really know whether the VHR engine's stock pulley has a damper designed to absorb harmful vibrations or not?
That is true. I don't think we will ever get a real answer on this though. I wish someone knew an Engineer at Nissan that they could ask but I doubt anyone knows of someone. It seems to be just speculation right now with no hard proof either way.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:13 PM
UpRev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bboysteele
That is true. I don't think we will ever get a real answer on this though. I wish someone knew an Engineer at Nissan that they could ask but I doubt anyone knows of someone. It seems to be just speculation right now with no hard proof either way.
It's not vehicle specific though, torsional resonance is something that all piston based motors have. Some are worse than others and need more damping, while some may need less. Some have that resonance resolved through balance shafts like the 4G63. The motor in question though does come with a damper, so I wouldn't recommend replacing it with something that doesn't have damping material of some sort.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:28 PM
AvosG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long it does to fix it? How much the shop cost u? How did they exchange the stock one?