Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Stillen Crank Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 11:37 AM
EZDozzit
No Soliciting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So the conclusion is that the lighter pulley does not produce more hp but does allow your engine to rev up faster. Does that mean your car will accelerate faster resulting in better 0-60 times, etc.?
Old 09-13-2008, 12:33 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 1BADV6
So what's the point of the mod then?
the brutal truth? the same point an aftermarket intake makes....to lighten your wallet.

short answer: cars are different now than they were before, they are more efficient. you want usable power than translates to the ground? you need a whole uprooting of the engine (CAMS, higher comp pistons, etc) and exhaust system PLUS an ecu reflash to go N/A. or put two snails in it for a better cost to hp ratio. either way you will be spending close to 5K-10K plus to see any real difference. i see a lot of people posting independant dynos on single mods and showing gains...but how much is that due to the varience of the dyno? correction for diiference in weather? engine warm up? etc. dynos aren't exactly known to be "**** accurate".
Old 09-14-2008, 05:52 AM
AZg37
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 6 Posts
cvt, just cause the pulley was a fail on the 350 doesn't mean it is on the G, the G has vvel, and UR claims that makes a big difference in results. I personally gained 5hp on a dyno, so i ain't complaining
Old 09-14-2008, 06:17 AM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
beathorse
Originally Posted by AZg37
cvt, just cause the pulley was a fail on the 350 doesn't mean it is on the G, the G has vvel, and UR claims that makes a big difference in results. I personally gained 5hp on a dyno, so i ain't complaining
Here we go again !!!!!!!!!!!!! beathorsebeathorsebeathorse DOMODOMO

Last edited by NeverBoneStock; 09-14-2008 at 06:30 AM.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:01 AM
KahnQuistador

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neverbonestock
beathorse

Here we go again !!!!!!!!!!!!! beathorsebeathorsebeathorse DOMODOMO
I told you this would get really good.

BTW, my pocket knife got dull, balsa pulley delayed but not dead!
Old 09-14-2008, 03:42 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AZg37

so what does the vvel have to do with the crank pulley? again dynos can have up to a 5-7whp varience. anyone that tells you dynos are spot accurate are kinda noobs to tuning (even respected tuners like tadashi, church automoditve, GTM, will tell you that there are variences up to 10WHP!)

i used to own a 2zz celica and UR always claimed that it would not cause any failures (they even had a "rep" answer questions at newcelica.org). guess what, 95% of celicas that had the UR pulley had water pump failures and engine failures....UR never took responsibility. and no refunds were given...so i would be cautious about ANY aftermarket companies claims and promises.

ever wonder why these intake, exhaust, and pulley companies always claim dyno numbers instead of improved 0-60 or 1/4 mile times? guess which one is easier to fudge with....

it's good you like your pulley. i did notice the revs did come a little faster...but for the pulley and install price it could have gone to something more worth while...like sway bars or money set aside for tuning.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:50 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by cvt
so what does the vvel have to do with the crank pulley? again dynos can have up to a 5-7whp varience. anyone that tells you dynos are spot accurate are kinda noobs to tuning (even respected tuners like tadashi, church automoditve, GTM, will tell you that there are variences up to 10WHP!)

i used to own a 2zz celica and UR always claimed that it would not cause any failures (they even had a "rep" answer questions at newcelica.org). guess what, 95% of celicas that had the UR pulley had water pump failures and engine failures....UR never took responsibility. and no refunds were given...so i would be cautious about ANY aftermarket companies claims and promises.

ever wonder why these intake, exhaust, and pulley companies always claim dyno numbers instead of improved 0-60 or 1/4 mile times? guess which one is easier to fudge with....

it's good you like your pulley. i did notice the revs did come a little faster...but for the pulley and install price it could have gone to something more worth while...like sway bars or money set aside for tuning.
Bingo !!!!!

Last edited by bboysteele; 09-14-2008 at 04:54 PM. Reason: User needs to learn to quote people correctly
Old 09-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Buddy Revell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cvt,
It would be interesting to read some of those UR threads. I used to own a Celica, too. My SN was "Keyshawn" on newcelica.org.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:30 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
water pump failures caused by a pulley...
Old 09-14-2008, 04:51 PM
UpRev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TerribleONE453
The water pump is driven by a belt from the crank, if you're not damping the torsional resonance, then it will transmit to anything also driven by the belt. It might be more of an issue on some cars than others. And it's not something an aftermarket company has any way of testing. Not even the big boys like Edelbrock or HKS have the kind of R&D budgets that an OEM has, nor do they have the knowledge.

Why do you think brands like Koenigsegg, Panoz, etc. use motors from MBZ, BMW or other big OEM companies?
Old 09-14-2008, 04:52 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TerribleONE453
This can happen when the pulley is a different size but I haven't heard of this ever happening with a pulley the same size (dimensions) of the stock pulley. Since the UR G37 Pulley is the same size as stock this should not be a problem.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:12 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
yea i can understand if the diameter is decreased but since it retains the stock size i think its okay..
Old 09-14-2008, 06:19 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^Ya, I am not sure what UpRev is talking about. The tuners and guys I know that have 350z and G35 said that the problem with some of the older pulleys that were released was that the diameter of the pulley was smaller than the stock pulley with caused issues with the alternator and other stuff. I think UR and Stillen has this same description on the product info for the pulley for the G37.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Buddy Revell

Originally Posted by bboysteele
^^Ya, I am not sure what UpRev is talking about. The tuners and guys I know that have 350z and G35 said that the problem with some of the older pulleys that were released was that the diameter of the pulley was smaller than the stock pulley with caused issues with the alternator and other stuff. I think UR and Stillen has this same description on the product info for the pulley for the G37.
I think the issue is NOT the size of the pulley, but whether our stock pulleys have a "harmonic damper" that absorbs harmful vibrations. If it does, then buying a lighter aftermarket pulley without one will be a problem, regardless of whether the aftermarket one is the same size as stock. But that's what I'm wondering. Who would really know whether the VHR engine's stock pulley has a damper designed to absorb harmful vibrations or not?
Old 09-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Buddy Revell

Originally Posted by cvt
Damn, I must be getting old, because after searching for some of those crank pulley threads on newcelica, I saw that I actually posted on some of them. Haha, don't even remember that:

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/show...northodox+pump
http://www.newcelica.org/forums/show...northodox+pump

Quick Reply: Stillen Crank Pulley