Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

ECU reset vs. ECU reflash

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 07:28 AM
RadMav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ECU reset vs. ECU reflash

Are people using these terms interchangably or is there a difference?

Usually, you only need to reflash memory if the chip programming gets screwed up or you are adding code, like a software update, that makes changes to the base programming.

Do the ECU programming changes not get reset to the factory defaults when you reset the ECU? It seems like the would be the same as a reflash.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:32 AM
weave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a good question.. I also wonder what happens when you get a reflash and then take it to the dealer and they hook it up to the consult 3.....can the somehoe flash it back and screw you over?
Old 07-06-2008, 11:29 AM
pass1over

there is a difference.
Reflash is when the dealer ho0ks up a computer and hardchanges ecu programming.
A reset is when you pull the battery cable off for a few and it drops all the air/fuel numbers and other assorted short-term stored info.

Im probably not explaining that right though. But they are different.

When I had my rx8, they were up to like reflash M or some crap. They started at letter A btw, heh.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:35 PM
JLai

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ECU reset = resetting to stock settings and erasing everything it learned from your driving or whatever. Pulling the battery isn't the only way to reset the ECU...you can do a soft reset too.

ECU reflash = overwriting the ECU coding...be it from the dealer or some other source (aka Technosquare). Thus, setting new parameters for the car. This is often used as an alternative to stand alone systems like the AEM EMS.

Last edited by JLai; 07-06-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:00 AM
RadMav

Reflash 101 - time to get an education

Originally Posted by weave
This is a good question.. I also wonder what happens when you get a reflash and then take it to the dealer and they hook it up to the consult 3.....can the somehoe flash it back and screw you over?
I don't think the dealer would get any benefit from "screwing you over by flashing it back" Maybe if a change to the programing was creating an error they might try to correct the error by reflashing. They might not recognize that you had a reflash especially if the programming was changed by an independent shop and the version # was not changed to reflect the changes or the changes to the programming were never recorded.

------------------------------------------------------------------------That is the way I understand the difference between the two.

How much does a reflash cost from an independent? Is it different from a dealer reflash? How much control do they have over the reflash parameters?

Does the ECU control ABS, Air Bag sensors, .........?
Old 07-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Chebosto

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Reflash costs vary from independent tuners. dealer reflashes are typically just to update firmware versions, and in some rare cases to bump idle or something minor.

Companies like technosquare reprogram the oem computer to allow the engine to operate on different air/fuel and timing maps, as well as reconfigure throttle body commmands.

ECU reset is just that. resets the computer to factory standard. fyi. an ecu reset on a reflash'd ecu will NOT delete the new program, it just erases what the computer's learning / volitile memory.