Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Can I take my car to a Nissan dealership for an oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 12:54 PM
xref

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can I take my car to a Nissan dealership for an oil change?

I live in San Francisco and the closest Infiniti dealership is in Redwood City or Oakland. That's about 35-40 miles round trip. However, there's a Nissan dealership in Serramonte which is about 8 miles from my place. Is it ok to take my car there instead?

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2008, 12:57 PM
GiGGaplease

i dont see why not. however, if something goes wrong with your car, the dealership will probably blame it on that and void your warranty. im just guessing here. more people will chime in to give you an answer.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Ken "NIsmo"
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YES. Bring it here!
Old 07-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken "NIsmo"
YES. Bring it here!
Somehow I knew you'd chime in with that response. I bet next you're gong to say that we can get OEM Infiniti parts (at a signifigant discount) from a Nissan dealer too?
Old 07-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
When I traded my Maxima in for a G35 coupe a few years back, the Nissan dealer where I always received excellent service offered to continue to service my new car but admitted he couldn’t do warranty work. What he didn’t say was that if, during normal service, they discovered something that needed attention under warranty (or knew of a new recall) they would either miss it or not have the Infiniti-only parts.

As a side note, the G35 was leased and I always followed the maintenance schedule at the dealer where I eventually turned it in. With those dealer records at hand, they didn’t need to inspect it in any detail as I flipped them the G35 keys and took home my G37.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:47 PM
xref

I just called Nissan and they do service Infiniti cars. However, they don't do warranty work as stated by Chekov.

Anyway, I was able to schedule an appointed this Saturday at Oakland Infiniti for my 11250 mile maintenance.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Gday
Banned

If Nissan did Infinti service and warranty work, Infiniti service department would be out of business.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:23 PM
TomG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As long as they have the oil filter, they can do it.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:04 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Gday
If Nissan did Infinti service and warranty work, Infiniti service department would be out of business.
I don't know about that one... I doubt we would want to comprimise a loaner car for service at a Nissan dealership.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:22 PM
g37at44

You can take it where ever you want as long as it's not for warranty work.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Acheron

Hi Guys,

So I need to do my 3 month oil change too, and I called the Infiniti Service department here in Scottsdale and they quoted me $107. Suffice to say I was kinda taken aback.

I asked why it was so much and whether I could just buy and bring my own oil for them to put in...basically he gave me some line that it had to use special oil and the ECU needed to be reset too since the factory used some special Ester oil? He said if I didn't bring it in and took it somewhere else that the engine would start knocking.

I've never heard of anything like this before for a car...I asked what kind of oil needed to go in and he said 5W30 synthetic...isn't that pretty standard? Anyone else hear this from their service departments? Is this guy just making up BS?

Should I just ignore this guy and take it to a Nissan dealership?

Last edited by Acheron; 07-17-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:04 PM
g37at44

Call another Infinti dealer and see what they say. And then call a Niisan dealership to get their take on this.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Achilles

Originally Posted by Acheron
Hi Guys,

So I need to do my 3 month oil change too, and I called the Infiniti Service department here in Scottsdale and they quoted me $107. Suffice to say I was kinda taken aback.

I asked why it was so much and whether I could just buy and bring my own oil for them to put in...basically he gave me some line that it had to use special oil and the ECU needed to be reset too since the factory used some special Ester oil? He said if I didn't bring it in and took it somewhere else that the engine would start knocking.

I've never heard of anything like this before for a car...I asked what kind of oil needed to go in and he said 5W30 synthetic...isn't that pretty standard? Anyone else hear this from their service departments? Is this guy just making up BS?

Negative Ghostrider, just take it somewhere else. It doesn't have to be a dealership. You can just do it yourself. Have not heard that before and it sounds like BS. Maybe he's on commission or trying to make quota?

Dealership price = Fail!

Take it somewhere else.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Sunny81

Originally Posted by Acheron
Hi Guys,

It's a load of crock. If a service dept told me that, they would have lost all trust. My dealer charges $37 for oil change, wash/vacuum (I always ask them not to wash and they listen), and an all day loaner.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:57 AM
Acheron

Ok, so I called another dealership in the area...they were a lot more helpful and actually had reasonable rates. $30 for oil, change, and filter. Or if I bring my own oil, only $17-20ish. So, I went down to Costco and picked up 6 quarts of Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 5W-30 for about $30. Yay.

Overall it should run me a bit under $50 for the whole thing...not too bad I guess.

All that's left to worry about is whether they listen to me about not washing my car.

I dunno why, but I'm deathly afraid of new places to get my car serviced...kinda like getting a new haircut at an unknown place...you never know how it's going to come out until they show you after it's all done....wish me luck!

Quick Reply: Can I take my car to a Nissan dealership for an oil change?