Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

How to Launch 6mt???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 06:38 PM
ballsdeep1515

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Launch 6mt???

Hi, so im planning on taking my g37s 6mt to the track and I was wondering what is the best way to launch the car?

I usually just take traction control off and launch at 3500rpm...

What do you guys do, Thanks!
Old 06-30-2008, 06:43 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
feather that clutch...
Old 06-30-2008, 06:44 PM
hotshothenry

doesn't feathering it burn it though?
Old 06-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
IDK from what I read its actually better than just releasing at WOT. But tracking is hard on almost everything anyway.

Last edited by Kidcane; 06-30-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:53 PM
shmad

lightly feather the clutch. it'll help u lunch better. what track are u going to and where?
Old 06-30-2008, 10:09 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Sorry but can someone elaborate on what "feathering" mean?
Old 06-30-2008, 11:23 PM
KahnQuistador

You will find that automatic launch control systems will be programmed to rev to optimum RPM for the vehicle and hold that RPM with the rev limiter. You wait for the light and dump the clutch. Then hope the other guy doesn't have more than you have.

Operational experience: Hondata S200 on a JRSC GSR. Launch RPM 4500, just over the RPM where the super charger started delivering power. A good LSD and braces to kill the wheel hop really come in handy in a FWD car.

Works well. If you want to win at the strip, invest in something like the Hondata. Do they make one for the G?
Old 06-30-2008, 11:39 PM
KahnQuistador

Originally Posted by myk1013
Sorry but can someone elaborate on what "feathering" mean?
Also refered to as slipping or riding the clutch. It's a great way to destroy your clutch. Similar to riding the brakes.

The quality clutches are designed to grip quickly. The GSR had an ACT clutch and a Fidanza lightened flywheel. Set the Hondata, slide your foot of the pedal and get that kick in the a$$ when you launch!
Old 07-01-2008, 01:01 AM
teedough

I was wondering how long the clutch would last on our cars... I was also stuck on a hill like that and i think i burned my clutch a little. Since our cars are heavy I was also wondering how long would my clutch last?
Old 07-01-2008, 01:21 AM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i doubt you can just POP the clutch at 3.5k its not a honda (not trieng to be offensive) buts its more luxurious.. feathering might burn it but POPing isnt anybetter.

I have threads on this as well, majority says feather it at around 3.5
Old 07-01-2008, 01:26 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KahnQuistador
Also refered to as slipping or riding the clutch. It's a great way to destroy your clutch. Similar to riding the brakes.

The quality clutches are designed to grip quickly. The GSR had an ACT clutch and a Fidanza lightened flywheel. Set the Hondata, slide your foot of the pedal and get that kick in the a$$ when you launch!
Originally Posted by KahnQuistador
You will find that automatic launch control systems will be programmed to rev to optimum RPM for the vehicle and hold that RPM with the rev limiter. You wait for the light and dump the clutch. Then hope the other guy doesn't have more than you have.

Operational experience: Hondata S200 on a JRSC GSR. Launch RPM 4500, just over the RPM where the super charger started delivering power. A good LSD and braces to kill the wheel hop really come in handy in a FWD car.

Works well. If you want to win at the strip, invest in something like the Hondata. Do they make one for the G?
Whatever u do... just dont try to launch the G in any way u did a honduh...

Do not dump the clutch at all... feathering will be the only way to lauch it properly... feathering is harmful to the clutch yes... but if you do it correctly... it wont be too bad at all...

Good luck...
Old 07-01-2008, 01:27 AM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im pretty sure i will have my clutch changed sooner than it is suppose to be changed. haha.............
Old 07-01-2008, 08:56 AM
KahnQuistador

Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
Whatever u do... just dont try to launch the G in any way u did a honduh...

Do not dump the clutch at all... feathering will be the only way to lauch it properly... feathering is harmful to the clutch yes... but if you do it correctly... it wont be too bad at all...

Good luck...
We all have our opinions. I'll stand by what I've said.

Watch the pros run on TV when you get a chance. Every last one of them will turn up the RPMs and dump the clutch. The brand of car makes no difference. It's more FWD vs. RWD.

Who'd want to drag race a G37 anyway?
Old 07-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Like I said before, tracking your car is hard on it regardless but feathering is less worse than dumping....

· What is "feathering the clutch?"

Feathering the clutch is the proper way to activate the clutch pedal when changing gears. That is, rather than a sudden, jerky release of the clutch pedal, you ease-out when releasing it. This reduces stress not only on clutch components, but the entire drivetrain. The engine RPMs should match closely to that of the selected gear you're shifting into as well (see "double clutching").

There is a fine line between sudden release, feathering and letting the clutch slip. Practice this and prolong the life of your clutch! If you smell something burning, or the engine wails as you release, the clutch is slipping.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:10 AM
KahnQuistador

I'll agree with that for street/normal driving.

For the strip, it's a different story if you want to win. Lots of races are lost coming off the line and feathering the clutch costs you time.

Like I asked, why would you want to drag race a G37?

Didn't I see a thread a while back about somebody losing to a Neon SXT? Gotta watch that power to weight advantage they have. If you really want to be humiliated, pick on an AWD Subaru with 300 ponies out of the box.

The car is much better suited for the autocross tracks.

Quick Reply: How to Launch 6mt???