Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

87 Octane

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 09:49 AM
RickB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 Octane

I'm sure the vast majority here will flame me, but I'm also probably not the only one who is leasing this vehicle, some of us for as short term as 24 months.

If I was planning on owning this vehicle for 10 years, I wouldn't take a chance with the engine and I'd probably spend the dime for premium, but this car will be somebody else's problem in two years.

That said, a couple questions. Is it better, if I'm going to run 87 in it, to do that all the time, letting the ECU etc. get use to one octane and adjust from there, or would it be good for the car, and better on my wallet to alternate with 87 and premium every other tank.

Also, I'm running my first tank of 87 which is my second tank and it looks like my my mileage is taking a dip. Is the MPG dip going to totally wash away the savings with 87?
Old 06-29-2008, 10:58 AM
sportacus

id think it wouldnt effect how much your paying that much, i mean the difference between the 2 is 20 cents per gallon and im sure of the size of the tank but lets just say its 18 gallons

18*.20=3.60 dollars every time you fill your tank which is less then a gallon.

so if your having a MPG dip then i dont believe the price difference is noticable.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Geepers

Use premium.........
Old 06-29-2008, 12:13 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I used 87 and have been for quite a while. I'm not trying to be "cheap" but I think it's god damn rediculous that Premium gas is not $.30-$.40 more than regular, what happend to $.10 a grade?? $4.13 (87) $4.23 (91) $4.33 (93) oh no 93 is somewhere around $4.50 what a joke. Mines a lease so it's gone next year. I still tend to fill up every three tanks with 93.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
You pose a good question, but in a way you’ve already answered it. You suggested that if you owned the car you would not put in 87. Well, as a matter of integrity, as you are using someone else’s vehicle, you should not do anything to harm the engine in the long run. Perhaps, and this may be a bit of a stretch, if the value of post-leased vehicles goes down because of such initial misuse, then future lessees, including yourself, may suffer increased leasing rates.

The same holds true for rental cars. We all know that they are often abused by renters who couldn’t care less about giving them good care. But those cars have to eventually be sold off to the public, and as their market value goes down much more than personally owned used cars, then there is an effect on rental rates for future cars.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:34 PM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what the heck is wrong with people putting cheap gas into their car? you probably saved a couple dollars. also, i do not get what is the point of going across town to save a couple of cents.........
Old 06-29-2008, 12:51 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by GiGGaplease
what the heck is wrong with people putting cheap gas into their car? you probably saved a couple dollars. also, i do not get what is the point of going across town to save a couple of cents.........
Well, not to get into another regular versus premium debate, there are some who believe lower octane gas in a car that requires premium will do harm to the engine in the long run as the computer repeatedly retards the timing to prevent knocking. Certainly, there is a performance loss. Now if it’s your own car, you’re certainly entitled to abuse it any way you wish. But if it belongs to someone else, e.g., a leased or rental car, then the issue is not as simple.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:58 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
well, doesn't it affect your gas mileage if you use 87 octane? the point of using 93 is to get maximum efficiency out of your engine, even though it costs more, so in reality, you really don't save any money, i'm not sure if this is right, but that's what i was told
Old 06-29-2008, 01:03 PM
rawr

putting cheap gas in a high performance engine can actually damage it very badly. It can cause something called "engine shock" in which the fuel you are "sparking" is not powerful enough to power your engine. The engine will make a stuttering sound and can cause many problems. Premium Octane is a must
Old 06-29-2008, 01:45 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
to put it in layman's terms, you need to use 91 for maximum efficiency.

Using 87 will cost you more fuel per mile you drive, than 91.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:38 PM
wireboltman

Originally Posted by RickB
I'm sure the vast majority here will flame me, but I'm also probably not the only one who is leasing this vehicle, some of us for as short term as 24 months.

If I was planning on owning this vehicle for 10 years, I wouldn't take a chance with the engine and I'd probably spend the dime for premium, but this car will be somebody else's problem in two years.
You are absolutely disgusting!!!
A disgrace to honesty and decency-
Old 06-29-2008, 02:47 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wireboltman
You are absolutely disgusting!!!
A disgrace to honesty and decency-
Wohh there buddy, calm down, it's just a flippin car! I don't see you or anyone else posting ANY credible information on engine damage from lower octane fuels vs. Premium. If you sincerely beleive lower octane fuels will DAMAGE your car, buy a bicycle.

Besides, EVERYONE who buys a leased vehicle knows what they're getting themselves into. After two years the car has more than twice that of the factory warranty left so really what's the problem?
Old 06-29-2008, 03:21 PM
fireboy

^^^good point and and if you ever have to buy a leased or rental buy a toyota those things are crazy, last for ever and i mean forever
Old 06-29-2008, 03:30 PM
wireboltman

Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
Wohh there buddy, calm down, it's just a flippin car! I don't see you or anyone else posting ANY credible information on engine damage from lower octane fuels vs. Premium. If you sincerely beleive lower octane fuels will DAMAGE your car, buy a bicycle.

Besides, EVERYONE who buys a leased vehicle knows what they're getting themselves into. After two years the car has more than twice that of the factory warranty left so really what's the problem?
Here's the problem, Buddy-

Originally Posted by RickB
It's got nothing to do with gasoline, persay.
He's saying he wouldn't do it if it was his flippin car, but he would take the risk with someone else's flippin car.

Once again, disgusting.
I meant what I said.

Sad state of affairs when you have resort to BS like that to save a 150 bucks, at best, in the course of a yr.

It means you can't afford this car.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:41 PM
GT35R
Registered Member

There is more energy per unit of volume in 89 and 87 octane but the anti knock index is lower. I don't remember what the the compression ratio is in our motors but going below 89 octane is not a good idea. The fuel may ignite prematurely and damage the motor.

Quick Reply: 87 Octane