Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

87 Octane

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 06:54 PM
RPF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the owners manual...note that the G37 uses the VQ37VHR engine...

FUEL RECOMMENDATION

VQ35HR engine

INFINITI recommends the use of unleaded premium gasoline with an octane rating of at least 91 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number (Research octane number 96).

If unleaded premium gasoline is not available, you may use unleaded regular gasoline with an octane rating of at least 87 AKI number (Research octane number 91), but you may notice a decrease in performance.

VQ37VHR engine
Use unleaded premium gasoline with an octane rating of at least 91 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number (Research octane number 96).

If premium gasoline is not available, unleaded regular gasoline with an octane rating of 87 AKI number (Research octane number 91) may be temporarily used, but only under the following precautions:

● Have the fuel tank filled only partially with unleaded regular gasoline, and fill up with unleaded premium gasoline as soon as possible.
● Avoid full throttle driving and abrupt acceleration.

However, for maximum vehicle performance, the use of unleaded premium gasoline is recommended.

CAUTION
● Using a fuel other than that specified could adversely affect the emission control system, and may also affect warranty coverage.
● Under no circumstances should a leaded gasoline be used, because this will damage the three-way catalyst.
● Do not use E-85 fuel in your vehicle. Your vehicle is not designed to run on E-85 fuel. Using E-85 fuel can damage the fuel system components and is not covered by the INFINITI vehicle limited warranty.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:02 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
what is E-85 fuel?
Old 07-01-2008, 07:06 PM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ethanol 85. basically is corn put into gas to "help the environment" which is bs.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:39 PM
RickB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, you have made an impact. I don't feel bad about turning in my Acura lease when I ran it on 87, because it ran well using it, just like my trusty 210K Eclipse Turbo. The G didn't feel as good on the second tank (the 87), so today on my second fillup in went 92 at 4.36/ gallon and I'm suckered into thinking that's a good deal right befor the 4th!

I think due to the extreme compression ratio in this engine that lower octane is really noticable. I'm not in this thing to destroy a car, but ultimately I'm making the decision because my car will run better for me and get better mileage enough to bridge the difference. Thanks to those who showed reason here to an honest question during a fuel crisis of extra-ordinary magnitude.