Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

87 Octane

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 05:49 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Last I hear on news radio we were consuming 1% more oil than in Q4 '07, S/D is not the only issue. World consumption of oil has also increased specifically in China as they are still preparing for the Olympics.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:12 PM
wireboltman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raZr
regulations my friend, regulations...your supply and demand might work in pure economics, but thats not what we are dealing with these days...while the demand did obviously take a hit, its not because less people were trying to buy houses, it was because banks stopped handing out loans to everybody that asked, thus indirectly lessening the demand...as ...
Of course, it should be noted that in the case of the housing market, it was the bankers that started the bogus lending procedures and created this whole mess. Greed. Absolute and unabashed.

The gas situation takes on other aspects. While I believe speculation is rampant, China and India will not be denied their industrial revolution. It's their time, and it will proceed.
Their demand for oil in order to make this happen is next to insatiable-
And they can afford it.

Throw in that this administration has allowed the value of the dollar to go down the tubes, and mortgaged us up to our eyeballs to China in order to fund the Iraq War, and it further adds to the misery of the lower and middle classes, especially.

The sub prime debacle plays a hand in all this. It's affected the whole global economy. Lack of regulation going back to the repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act in 1999 by a Republican congress is a major player in the stripping away of regulations put in place after The Great Depression.

That act was put into place to stop people from preying on the needy as we climbed out of those times.
Phil Gramm, McCain's economic advisor, was instrumental in the repeal of that act opening the floodgates for exactly what we see, now.

They overlooked the human fallacy of greed--------or did they?
Old 06-30-2008, 07:01 PM
joeposter
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
If you haven't noticed, Premium fuel is now upwards of $.30 more per gallon vs. $.20 it used to be.

87 - $4.13
89 - $4.23
93 - $4.33

Now

93- $4.43+ I've seen as high as a $.47 spread between 87 and 93.
It's because we outlawed MTBE. Now we use ethanol that has to be trucked instead of going through the pipelines where it picks up moisture etc. It also means there's LESS energy in higher octane fuel.

Couple other points:
There are many things that affect what octane you need such as altitude, temperature etc.
The pinging is supposedly caused by the piston hitting the cylinder wall.
Today's engines seem to easilly outlast the reset of the car. So I don't waste my money on synthetic oil but I use 89/93 test fuel because my G seems to idle higher with 87.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:40 PM
RickB

Originally Posted by homelessdrunk
was wondering the same thing.....
My car is a Base, no options and I had VPP, but I believe he did a little better than that. 2000 D.O.D. 350.93/ mnth 12K/ yr. 24 Months. I believe residual was right at 75%. I thought it was a good deal too and I was willing to forgo some of the goodies. But I'm not lying about my deal.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:39 PM
koelzmod

Theres and old saying: If you can't take the heat , don't buy a G37. Maybe it was: If you can't afford 93 octane, get out of the kitchen. Something like that. hehe,,,, Anyway , no one has said anything about diesel. It costs less to make than gas but costs more than premium? Humm, I think someone (mainly the poor truckers) are getting screwwwwed. Any comments??
Old 07-01-2008, 12:09 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by koelzmod
Theres and old saying: If you can't take the heat , don't buy a G37. Maybe it was: If you can't afford 93 octane, get out of the kitchen. Something like that. hehe,,,, Anyway , no one has said anything about diesel. It costs less to make than gas but costs more than premium? Humm, I think someone (mainly the poor truckers) are getting screwwwwed. Any comments??
Amen brother. I work in the trucking industry and when it gets much worse, we will all be getting screwed. Owner Operators are going out of business at an alarming rate due to sky high fuel prices. You have nothing around you in your life that wasn't transported on a truck at some point and when the industry is hurting, the price of EVERYTHIG will increase. It's starting already with produce.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:48 AM
teedough

Old 07-01-2008, 02:03 AM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
however, we cannot compliant about the gas prices. in europe their paying like 8-9 dollars a gallon for gas and they do not have the same demand as to the US. we should have 8-9 dollars a gallon and europe should have 4 dollars a gallon.

Last edited by GiGGaplease; 07-01-2008 at 02:05 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:05 AM
fireboy

^^^^are you serious did you just type that that has got to be the dumbest comment i have seen you type......... first do your research. try europe spends around 12 dollars a gallon that is ruffly 6 pounds... and yeah they cna do that there transperatation system is 10 times better then the US transpertation system will ever be... plus they have alot more vehicles there that get better gas mileage than the cars in the US.. all of the smart cars and all the other small compact cars are all coming from europe. gas prices there have always been crazy....
Old 07-01-2008, 04:08 AM
fireboy

and why should our gas prices go up???? and theirs go down.. do you really want out economy to hurt even more and go down anymore... if you have not noticed how much more stability the european government has then our.. our government has got to be the worst it has ever been....
Old 07-01-2008, 04:11 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^Well fireboy, the reason why they have cars over there that get better gas then ours is because of the gas prices they pay. We do not pay that much for gas in the states. We just b!tch about it though. I just watched a program on European cars and they were showing these small cars with great gas mileage made in the 80s due to the gas prices being around $4 over there during that time.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:14 AM
fireboy

what do think i just said everything you did minus the 4 dollars in the 80s part..
Old 07-01-2008, 05:35 AM
prutkows

gas is expensive no matter what grade you're using, get over it.

to OP. if you want to be an ******* to the person who ends up taking over your lease, go ahead and put 87 in it.

If you want to be a good person and take some pride/integrity in your actions, put at least 91.

Why did you even make this thread? Were you expecting people to back you up on your decision to treat the car like **** just because you dont own it? The owners manual says to use 91, so use 91.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:27 AM
raZr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
If you haven't noticed, Premium fuel is now upwards of $.30 more per gallon vs. $.20 it used to be.
which would only make sense, if the higher grades are more highly concentrated with octane, and with oil prices higher, its a percentage increase, not a monetary one. so if 89 was 2 bucks and 91 was 2.15, now its 4 and 4.30..
Old 07-01-2008, 10:49 AM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Guy I was talking to at dinner last night made a valid point, it actually seems that Premium fuels aren't selling as much as they used to, I think a lot of people have realized there cars will run just fine with lower grade fuels. Since Premium fuel isn't being used as often as it was before, companies are still paying storage fees etc.. so in order to obtain the same profit margins, they must increase the price of premium fuels more and more compared to 87. I suppose that makes a bit of sense?

Quick Reply: 87 Octane