Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

87 Octane

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 06:51 AM
todd92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nobara37
We have 4 types of gas here:

1. Deisel
2. 91
3. 95 (Which the call 'Special' here).
4. 98 Premium (Cost is $1.7 a gallon).

There is a big difference in performance between 91 & 98 I even feel it in my 2002 4cyl Jetta.

I never put anything less than 98 in my G. I own my car + Gas is cheap so there is no reason to get anything less.
You are using 98 RON. The US octane is (RON + MON)/2. Your 98 is the same as 93 here.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:53 AM
todd92

Originally Posted by RickB
Ok. I will use the proper fuel, so I am not a cheap drain on society. Thanks. I do love people who feel like their rich because they can afford a 40k car. I lease the G37 for 350/ mnth, so I guess I'm not among the power elite here that can afford to purchase the car outright. "If you can't afford 91 octane, you can't afford the car, buy a Civic..." OOookaaaayyy...
So in so many words, you are confirming that your are stretched beyond your means to own this car. The extra cost for the premium IS an issue for you. Get a Civic.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:25 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Being cheep has nothing to do with how much money you make. I know I make more than most people on this fourm and i still keep my heat turned doun and keep the lights off in my house does that mean I cannot afford my house. Nope just that I am cheep. I think the real question people who are cheep (like me) should ask is: If i put 87 in my car will it cause any damage or reduce the fule milage to a point where it is not cost effective to do so. That is the bottom line for cheep people like myself.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:32 AM
Nobara37

Originally Posted by todd92
You are using 98 RON. The US octane is (RON + MON)/2. Your 98 is the same as 93 here.
That's interesting, how is that calculation done? What is the highest rated fuel used in production cars?
Old 06-30-2008, 08:14 AM
wireboltman

Originally Posted by shumby
Being cheep has nothing to do with how much money you make. I know I make more than most people on this fourm and i still keep my heat turned doun and keep the lights off in my house does that mean I cannot afford my house. Nope just that I am cheep. I think the real question people who are cheep (like me) should ask is: If i put 87 in my car will it cause any damage or reduce the fule milage to a point where it is not cost effective to do so. That is the bottom line for cheep people like myself.

See above:

Who cares what you do with your own stuff-
That's your problem
Old 06-30-2008, 08:42 AM
gurneyeagle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wireboltman
Here's the problem, Buddy-

It's got nothing to do with gasoline, persay.
He's saying he wouldn't do it if it was his flippin car, but he would take the risk with someone else's flippin car.

Once again, disgusting.
I meant what I said.

Sad state of affairs when you have resort to BS like that to save a 150 bucks, at best, in the course of a yr.

It means you can't afford this car.
Well said. The total lack of responsibility, conscience, and ethics is scary. Even scarier is the apathy by most of the others on the Board.

Of course, if he had bought a used G37 that was mis-treated because the original owner took it as "someone else's car" then the bitching and whining would be non-stop.

Does anyone have any morals anymore? What kind of parents did these people have that raised them this way?

After 50 years I have learned what goes around really does come around. To date I have had no issues with my car or the dealership. In fact, I haven't had any issues with any car I've ever owned.

I don't sit there and obsess over a rattle, squeak, or anything else. It's a car. You can make yourself sick worrying about that crap. Waste of time and energy.

Sunday school is over now, class dismissed.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Nobara37

Can't we just get along?

LOL!
Old 06-30-2008, 09:31 AM
fmrlegend
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 05 double cab Tundra and 04 Sequoia and I did use 91 octane last year until the prices started to go high, and now I use 87 and at times 89. There is a big difference in performance between 91 and 87 even for Tundra's and Sequoia's.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:02 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i love these types of threads!
Old 06-30-2008, 10:32 AM
RickB

Originally Posted by todd92
So in so many words, you are confirming that your are stretched beyond your means to own this car. The extra cost for the premium IS an issue for you. Get a Civic.
Dude, I made freaking 89K last year ok?? Does that make you happy now??? I'm definately not rich but I would say that bracket can afford a freaking Infiniti pal.

I am most definately not "stretched beyond my means." The richest people in America are at many times "cheap" by someone elses definition, wether they leave a 5% tip when they get good service or whatever. If you WASTE money unnecessarily, well then you're just stupid no matter if you are rich or poor. That is what my thread originally was asking. Is it a waste to buy premium. It was IMO with the Acura. I also had a 97 Mitsu Eclipse turbo that required premium and I put 210K non-premium miles on it with ZERO engine problems. The vast majority here feel it's not ok for the G, and not only that, it's irresponsible. That is your opinion and you are welcome to it, but you don't freaking know me, so to make blanket statements based on one potential issue is pretty bold. To boot, you are quite innaccurate because my wife brought home 45K last year as well, so we are not in the boat you assume we are. Trying to save money isn't only for the poor! If it's not cost EFFECTIVE, which it's apparently not, then fine, that is what I was after. Great talk!

Last edited by RickB; 06-30-2008 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:04 AM
wireboltman

Dude, I made freaking 89K last year ok?? Does that make you happy now??? I'm definately not rich but I would say that bracket can afford a freaking Infiniti pal.

I am most definately not "stretched beyond my means." The richest people in America are at many times "cheap" by someone elses definition, wether they leave a 5% tip when they get good service or whatever. If you WASTE money unnecessarily, well then you're just stupid no matter if you are rich or poor. That is what my thread originally was asking. Is it a waste to buy premium. It was IMO with the Acura. I also had a 97 Mitsu Eclipse turbo that required premium and I put 210K non-premium miles on it with ZERO engine problems. The vast majority here feel it's not ok for the G, and not only that, it's irresponsible. That is your opinion and you are welcome to it, but you don't freaking know me, so to make blanket statements based on one potential issue is pretty bold. To boot, you are quite innaccurate because my wife brought home 45K last year as well, so we are not in the boat you assume we are. Trying to save money isn't only for the poor! If it's not cost EFFECTIVE, which it's apparently not, then fine, that is what I was after. Great talk!
Dude-
You don't have the RIGHT to make that kind of decision with somebody else's stuff!!
Old 06-30-2008, 11:10 AM
raZr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I lease the G37 for 350/ mnth...
**note i am not calling you cheap nor poor, as the income you mentioned is defined as "rich" in this country, but anyways, there is no chance you are paying 350 a month for this car.

the best lease is on a base coupe with nothing inside, 35600 msrp (good luck ever finding one)

lets say you got for invoice, roughly 34000

leased for 2 years, and only got 10,000 miles a year, that would be a residual of 77%, and a base rate of .00184.

lets also assume you are getting a low tax rate, 5%...

all this making your payments 410 a month...

you obv put money down or the dealership lost a couple grand on you....

as for everything else in this thread, im with you...all these old heads attacking you and trying to teach lessons, guess they couldnt get through to their kids
Old 06-30-2008, 11:41 AM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree, if there's nothing to gain from Premium fuel other than a few hp, why bother?

It really amazes me just how ignorant people can sometimes, to say someone is "cheap" or that they cannot afford something because you don't agree with their decisions (ie. tipping, Premium fuel vs. regular) is just an asinine statement.

I guess it's no big surprise why the wealthy stay wealthy and some folks can't seem to ever get ahead in life.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:55 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Nobara37
We have 4 types of gas here:

1. Deisel
2. 91
3. 95 (Which the call 'Special' here).
4. 98 Premium (Cost is $1.7 a gallon).

There is a big difference in performance between 91 & 98 I even feel it in my 2002 4cyl Jetta.

I never put anything less than 98 in my G. I own my car + Gas is cheap so there is no reason to get anything less.
I hate to dispel you perceived notion of better performance with 98, but higher octane fuels have one main purpose: to prevent knocking in higher compression engines that require them. If your car does not knock at 91 then putting in anything more is a waste of money.

You would get the same boost in performance by just sticking your head out the window when starting out and shouting, “Vroom, vroom!”
Old 06-30-2008, 02:16 PM
RIDEwithG

Wow, I didn't know we had so many "morality" police officers in the house.
What RickB and others want to do with their cars is their business, whether they lease or buy. I know plenty of people who purchase their cars and treat it like crap, then sell it off to someone else. So whether this is a lease or not, its beside the point. We live in reality folks...don't tell you all out premium on your car rentals too now. LOL.
With that said, I am still pumping 91 on mine, but I may alternate between the two in the future. It all depends on whether the car can handle it and I will adjust accordingly. No sense in paying more unless you have you, that's my opinion.

Last edited by RIDEwithG; 06-30-2008 at 02:19 PM.

Quick Reply: 87 Octane