Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

87 Octane

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 04:26 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why do we have threads like this????? It only gets worse from here.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:31 PM
RickB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I knew I'd get some flame for doing it to the car, but calling me disgusting and having no integrity, well that's bs. So you are telling me that if you lease, and your car has curb rash on the wheels, and the dealer wants to help you out and call it "normal wear and tear" you are going to say: Nope, my integrity tells me I should fork out 5K for new wheels, so the next owner isn't buying my damaged car. Yeah, right.

I had many choices in the price range I purchased from. I could have bought an 04 Merc CLK 55 AMG with 50K on it for 28K. That's a freaking 70K machine. But buying used has the negatives as well. Maintenance, warranty issues, someone not babying the car I end up buying used etc. So I chose to lease, like I did with my previous car an Acura TL. To not take the chance of buying a ragged on car. The TL by the way required premium that I ran on 87 without issue. I was getting 31-32 MPG's on the highway, so I figured buying premium wouldn't be worth it. I turned in the Acura with normal wear and tear including the curb rash. A dealer has to go through it to sell it to somebody, if they feel it's in bad shape, then they can fix it.

Like I thought, with the higher compression ratio compaired to the TL, I'd maybe lose some mileage and it seems like more than I care to live with to buy the 87. I probably shouldn't have said "it's their problem" like it was a private party, which isn't what I was thinking. A dealer who makes enough money screwing people to absorb any repair, or a warranty company. I considered some BMW's that were a couple years old, most with some warranty left. I fully understood that I was not going to drive a BMW without a warranty. I would have paid for an aftermarket one to avoid any big time costs in case say the guy who owned it before me ragged on it.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by RickB
Well, I knew I'd get some flame for doing it to the car, but calling me disgusting and having no integrity, well that's bs. So you are telling me that if you lease, and your car has curb rash on the wheels, and the dealer wants to help you out and call it "normal wear and tear" you are going to say: Nope, my integrity tells me I should fork out 5K for new wheels, so the next owner isn't buying my damaged car. Yeah, right.
For the record, I did not say you had no integrity. You asked a question about using 87 in a leased vehicle, and I said it was a matter of integrity if you did so. I really thought you would not continue to put in 87 for the reasons stated.

But having said that, perhaps I did not explain myself better when discussing how such things effect us all. Passing on a potentially damaged car to someone else or causing unnecessary warranty work on such a vehicle can come back to bite us in subtle ways. Even if you believe that all dealers make enough money and they routinely screw people in the process, which I personally do not, you may have to consider that the reason for your next car purchase or repair being is a bit higher than in the past is that they had to pass these losses onto you in order to stay in business. In other words, any time you “screw” a car dealership or manufacturer, in the long run you may be screwing yourself and the rest of us along with you.

My last two cars before my current G37 were leased. I took excellent care of them as if they were my own. When I turned them in I was proud of that, and felt good that I was not passing on a troubled car to some unsuspecting new owner. I urge you to do the same. You’ll feel good about it too.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:20 PM
XtatiC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're analogies are dumb, lol.. nobody would go around curbing their wheels on purpose, therefore, if the dealer wanted to help him out because he ACCIDENTLY curbed his wheels then I think that would be generous of the dealership and I would personally, glady accept the help. But the fact that you repeatedly go to the gas station every week or so and PURPOSELY buy the cheap gas "KNOWING" that there is a potential of ruining the motor, then you sir, are being a selfish A-hole! Plain and simple. I think you sir, should have bought a 2008 Honda Civic. They get great gas mileage and only require 87 octane.

If you only care about saving a few bucks and fuel economy; and obviously don't care about performance, then why even get a G37??

Last edited by XtatiC; 06-29-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:30 PM
todd92

It's not going to hurt anything, contrary to some of the ridiculous posts above. It does not matter whether you own it or lease it. You will lose some performance (on the S quite a bit). You won't gain any MPG.

The logic of buying a 40k sports car and trying to save 5 dollars per fill-up escapes me. If that 5 dollars means that much to you, you should have bought a Civic. Really.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You strike me as the type of dude who'd buy Taaka and put it in a Belvedere bottle and serve it to your friends at a party. After all, it is still vodka they'll get just as drunk and you'll look like a baller even though you won't have to spend like one! Am I right???
Old 06-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by wireboltman
Here's the problem, Buddy-

It's got nothing to do with gasoline, persay.
He's saying he wouldn't do it if it was his flippin car, but he would take the risk with someone else's flippin car.

Once again, disgusting.
I meant what I said.

Sad state of affairs when you have resort to BS like that to save a 150 bucks, at best, in the course of a yr.

It means you can't afford this car.
Originally Posted by Chekov
For the record, I did not say you had no integrity. You asked a question about using 87 in a leased vehicle, and I said it was a matter of integrity if you did so. I really thought you would not continue to put in 87 for the reasons stated.

But having said that, perhaps I did not explain myself better when discussing how such things effect us all. Passing on a potentially damaged car to someone else or causing unnecessary warranty work on such a vehicle can come back to bite us in subtle ways. Even if you believe that all dealers make enough money and they routinely screw people in the process, which I personally do not, you may have to consider that the reason for your next car purchase or repair being is a bit higher than in the past is that they had to pass these losses onto you in order to stay in business. In other words, any time you “screw” a car dealership or manufacturer, in the long run you may be screwing yourself and the rest of us along with you.

My last two cars before my current G37 were leased. I took excellent care of them as if they were my own. When I turned them in I was proud of that, and felt good that I was not passing on a troubled car to some unsuspecting new owner. I urge you to do the same. You’ll feel good about it too.
The differnece between you two gentlemen and the OP is generational. You two old coots are from a long bygone era when people actually cared about the next guy and integrity meant something. I fear those days are mostly over.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:35 PM
XtatiC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black Betty
You strike me as the type of dude who'd buy Taaka and put it in a Belvedere bottle and serve it to your friends at a party. After all, it is still vodka they'll get just as drunk and you'll look like a baller even though you won't have to spend like one! Am I right???
Old 06-29-2008, 06:45 PM
todd92

Taaka? WTF is that? I thought the standard for crap vodka was Popov. Choice of hard core alky's everywhere...
Old 06-29-2008, 07:58 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by todd92
It's not going to hurt anything, contrary to some of the ridiculous posts above. It does not matter whether you own it or lease it. You will lose some performance (on the S quite a bit). You won't gain any MPG.

The logic of buying a 40k sports car and trying to save 5 dollars per fill-up escapes me. If that 5 dollars means that much to you, you should have bought a Civic. Really.
Why must everyone assume that those of us who use 87 fuel are just trying to save a buck? Even in your post you state, it won't hurt anything, you won't lose/gain any MPG, and if we not trying to go from 0-60, who cares if we use 87 vs. 93.. It's just gas, it's just a car. Still no one has any info about the "damage" we are doing to the car, what a shame.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:02 PM
Argent_G37

use 91 dude, whatever you save by using 87 will be lost because your MPG WILL drop. less power means less mpg.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
Still no one has any info about the "damage" we are doing to the car, what a shame.
I have to disagree on this one. There are many articles on this subject some from informed sources. Just Google “Engine damage caused by low octane fuel” and you’ll come up with pages and pages on the issue. Here’s just one:

Possible Engine Damage
Old 06-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by Black Betty
The differnece between you two gentlemen and the OP is generational. You two old coots are from a long bygone era when people actually cared about the next guy and integrity meant something. I fear those days are mostly over.
Your fears may be well founded, and I certainly am an old coot. But I can’t help but continue to try.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:57 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
"The only outward symptom may be a slight power loss, but inside, the damage is gradually adding up."

Great, well what's the damage????
Old 06-29-2008, 09:14 PM
PantherG

Originally Posted by RickB
If I was planning on owning this vehicle for 10 years, I wouldn't take a chance with the engine and I'd probably spend the dime for premium, but this car will be somebody else's problem in two years.
I hope karma comes back at you when its time to return your lease, then it will become YOUR problem.

Quick Reply: 87 Octane