Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

VDC frustration

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 10:01 AM
fmrlegend
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VDC frustration

The VDC keeps kicking in when doing a sharp turn. The VDC anticipates the skidding even before you can hear the tire squeel so the car bogs down to avoid it before any thing happening. So in other words, it works to damn good which could be a bad thing.

The frustration is that I can't get the max potential out of that car. But the thing is that hearing several stories about people losing control because they forgot to turn the VDC back on.

My previous front wheel drive vehicle, I could hear my tire squeel all the through the on ramp or sharp turn and still stay in control.

I think I'm a decent driver and I do want drive with the VDC off so I can control the car, accelerator, tire squeel etc. myself, but scured. I don't think I should have a problem unless I hit oil/water spot while taking it on the curve.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:03 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dont take the VDC off unless your trying to track your car or going \for a spirited drive... its a safty thing... but when I think about it... mine dont kick in that much as you described... maybe somethings wrong?
Old 06-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You will be fine with VDC off, just dont be stupid and dont turn it off it is wet out.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:09 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
First of all... I'd recommend you keep VDC on. There is no reason for it to be off in normal driving conditions... even if you are a professional race car driver. It's a safety factor. If the VDC is coming on during every sharp turn, this tells me you're driving like a bat out of hell. This is my second Infiniti and the VDC has always been quite tame. The VDC is not activated unless it senses that one wheel is moving at a faster speed than other.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:57 AM
fmrlegend
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Blackjack
First of all... I'd recommend you keep VDC on. There is no reason for it to be off in normal driving conditions... even if you are a professional race car driver. It's a safety factor. If the VDC is coming on during every sharp turn, this tells me you're driving like a bat out of hell. This is my second Infiniti and the VDC has always been quite tame. The VDC is not activated unless it senses that one wheel is moving at a faster speed than other.
That's the thing, I'm not driving like crazy. But there are times where I want to take a right turn on a clear open road with a green light fast. It's almost like a dog that can't bark or bite. Compared to 330hp car where I can't even hear tires squeel on a sharp turn because the VDC kicks in.
Who knows, may be it was a good thing that the VDC was on, or I would have spun out, we'll never know. That's why I'm scured to try it with it off.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:30 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My VDC does not cut in as you are describing. Sounds like a problem to check out. My old AMG was impossible to drive hard without turning of the stability control and even then it was still "on". I can drive this G hard without any of the annoying throttle hampering you are describing.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:30 AM
mal_TX

Squealing tires doesnt make you go faster, it just makes you slide out. If you want to slide out for fun, assuming you know how to catch the slide (it is NOTHING like a front drive car), then you need to turn off VDC. If you are just trying to accelerate fast, then just let the VDC do its job, or if you want to be a little faster, learn how to accelerate just under the VDC -- just hard enough that the VDC won't interfere. That will be maximum traction acceleration and should be plenty fast "for a 330hp car"

What you need to do is take your car to an empty parking lot that has no scary light posts, turn the vdc off, start driving in a circle and then floor it. Then you will see what happens in a RWD car when you "squeal tires" while under a lateral G load. Then you either learn to control it or leave your VDC on always.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
practice in an empty lot with VDC off to get feel for exactly what limits you can push the car without that safety net.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:37 PM
fmrlegend
Registered Member

yes and yes.

It's a good idea to learn how to drive hard just enough not to allow the VDC to kick in.

Practice in a empty lot, is also a good idea.

I know there was a thread on this VDC before and how cars in that past that didn't have this VDC feature had to learn how to drive rear wheel drive cars. The learning part may be a bit rough, but in the end if you know your car, you shouldn't have any problem and it's a good feeling that you don't have to rely on this feature all the time.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:57 PM
PhilH930

The VDC has kicked in a few times for me. Obviously aggressive first gear pull aways, and fast changes between first and second can call VDC into action. In dry conditions, the VDC also came on in third gear yesterday, although I attribute this to the road as there was a slight change in level (road to bridge), and the car was pulling at 5500rpm. So far I have no complaints with VDC, its probably going to save me some money on tires!

If you do turn it off, as others have said do it in a safe place to learn the car. RWD cars are a different animal. A friend had a 911, had the traction control off (by mistake) and was driving in a straight line at 20mph, only to push the pedal a little too much and he ending up dancing in circles looking a fool!
Old 06-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by fmrlegend
The VDC keeps kicking in when doing a sharp turn. The VDC anticipates the skidding even before you can hear the tire squeel so the car bogs down to avoid it before any thing happening. So in other words, it works to damn good which could be a bad thing.

The frustration is that I can't get the max potential out of that car. But the thing is that hearing several stories about people losing control because they forgot to turn the VDC back on.

My previous front wheel drive vehicle, I could hear my tire squeel all the through the on ramp or sharp turn and still stay in control.

I think I'm a decent driver and I do want drive with the VDC off so I can control the car, accelerator, tire squeel etc. myself, but scured. I don't think I should have a problem unless I hit oil/water spot while taking it on the curve.

Do you have a VLSD (sport package)?

Also, the VDC is kicking in because your steering position is too far off from your actual YAW.

The VDC system is VERY complicated, and factors in almost everything you can imagine.... Individual wheel speeds, steering position, yaw, G's (front/back and sideways), throttle position, etc.

Leave it on. It WILL save you.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Your tires aren't squealing because the OE tires are super soft and won't squeal unless you are at the point of losing control (or already have). FWD handling is no gauge of a RWD car. Practice in a parking lot or safe area before turning it loose on the streets. Back out of the throttle just a little from how you're currently driving and the VDC probably won't kick in.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:38 PM
the-moss

Sounds like you are going into the turn too fast. VDC really doesn't like that.

Back off your entry speed and feel where the VDC is interfering as you exit the corner. If you can keep it just under this threshold you aren't far away from where you would want to be with it off.

My advice to you would be to go to a HPDE on a local track with an instructor and practice this.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:26 PM
fmrlegend
Registered Member

going to the track with an instructor would be nice. A friend of mine that had a M3 took it to the track with an instructor. It helped him a bunch. Kinda sucks, but I tell all my friends that I don't know how to drive my own car. I cant control it on the curves or any curve in that matter.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:05 PM
GregUMR

I honestly disagree with the whole "VDC will save you" argument, at least in my case and a few of my close friends. I can handle the car much better with VDC off, unless its snowing, that is the only case I like it to be on. The fact of the matter is, if you are a smart driver and know the limits of your car and how to handle it in all situations, you are a safer driver and can react to situations that occur on the road without losing control and avoid the possible accident, etc...

For me, VDC on is actually a detriment to my ability to control the car because I'm not certain how VDC is going to react to my throttle response, the angle I take on a turn, the road conditions, etc... I've had it on before in a situation where I had to dodge an object and I absolutely hated the way it reacted to my throttle control.

I realize not everyone knows how to properly handle a rear-wheel drive car, but for those that "truely" do know how to handle their car, they are better off with VDC off. VDC for snow, otherwise I have it on. Just an opinion based on my own driving skills. To each his own, thus why I don't believe saying the VDC on always is the only way to do it.

Calm collected thought and proper reaction when the car is in an extreme handling situation and knowing the limits of your car, will save your life, IMHO.

Last edited by GregUMR; 06-19-2008 at 05:07 PM.

Quick Reply: VDC frustration