Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

VDC frustration

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 03:37 PM
fmrlegend
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Orbie
^ PM sent j/k

My bet is it's not the VDC, you have a non-sport and that VLSD makes a world of difference if you're pressing your car hard on a turn. It doesn't surprise me in the least if you are taking a hard right trying to acclerate out with no limited slip that the VDC will kick in. Most of the people saying they don't experience this issue (myself included) have the sport model.
I do have a non-sport and most of you here have a sport and that VLSD. Don't know much on how that VLSD work but have an idea though. May be that is the difference why my VDC kicks in all the time.

Last edited by KAHBOOM; 06-20-2008 at 09:27 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:50 PM
shmad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i drive w/ the vdc off all the time (sport model). its def. much much faster. after the tires are warm its next to impossible to get the rear end to break loose even under WOT acceleration. last weekend here in nyc i had the VDC off and ran it hard from a dead stop midway thru third. on the 1-2 shift all i heard was a chirp. the back end didnt even let out at all. so if its warm out and the tires have heated up u dont need the vdc on. getting it sideways around a turn is a different thing entirely its actually very easy to control and the back end straightens out quickly
Old 06-20-2008, 06:42 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
VDC is not 'cruide'

It does not simply CUT power; it works in stages.

If the VDC is completely cutting your power, then you are pushing WAY beyond the limit of the car.

The VDC only intervenes as necessary.

1. apply brake on slipping wheel.
2. reduce engine output while applying brakes

in that order.

Reduce can go as far as CUT if needed.

Ever do a hard 1-2 shift where the VDC light blinks but doesnt cut? Then another time you do a hard 1-2, but the VDC light blinks and DOES cut the power?

Those are different stages of VDC kicking in.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:19 PM
JonnyOzero3

Originally Posted by mike@riverside
VDC is not 'cruide'

If the VDC is completely cutting your power, then you are pushing WAY beyond the limit of the car.

in that order.

Ever do a hard 1-2 shift where the VDC light blinks but doesnt cut? Then another time you do a hard 1-2, but the VDC light blinks and DOES cut the power?

Good post.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:21 PM
ObsidianGT

Originally Posted by Orbie
^ PM sent j/k

My bet is it's not the VDC, you have a non-sport and that VLSD makes a world of difference if you're pressing your car hard on a turn. It doesn't surprise me in the least if you are taking a hard right trying to acclerate out with no limited slip that the VDC will kick in. Most of the people saying they don't experience this issue (myself included) have the sport model.

And I wouldn't say that you don't know how to drive the car in comparison to your old Acura, it's just the powertrain layout of a RWD is going to be much less forgiving then a FWD when pushed. This is one of the safety aspects of FWD, you always know if you're pushing your car too hard because even before tire squeal, the car will begin plowing through the turn and oversteer. You have to let off the gas or your car will go off the road or into a barrier, but you'll know way ahead of that that the car is pushing it's limits. RWD is different and especially so in the case of a high powered car, there will be little to no warning without electro nannies like VDC. Like that previous poster who had a friend with the 911, for most non-pro drivers, first time you'll know is when you're sliding sideways or facing the wrong direction of traffic.
You mean understeer, "a handling characteristic of an automotive vehicle that causes it to turn less sharply than the driver intends because the front wheels slide to the outside of the turn before the rear wheels lose traction."

fmrlegend, I've been through a lot of RWD cars and a couple of FWD cars (between my parent's cars in highschool and my own since). RWD from a 1984 Toyota 1/2 Ton Pickup (manual learner), 1995 Toyota MR2, 1996 Toyota Supra NA, and now my Infiniti G37S. FWD from a 1988 Nissan Pulsar, 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 , 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT (where I learned to HATE FWD's torque steer--never again!!), and a 2003 Toyota Matrix XRS. All of which were/are manual transmissions except the Matrix. Let me tell you, FWD and RWD are WORLDS APART in the way they communicate with the driver and the way they respond to driving forces and road friction.

The first thing you have to learn is the difference between understeer and torque steer from FWD and oversteer and tractive force/slip angle.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
FWD can oversteer depending on the suspension setup... especially lift-off oversteer during a chicane.... =P
Old 06-22-2008, 01:37 PM
LAG37

vdc should be on unless ur on a track or ur messing around
i drive with it on and have no problems
Old 06-22-2008, 01:55 PM
ObsidianGT

FWD can oversteer depending on the suspension setup... especially lift-off oversteer during a chicane.... =P
Mike, I should he-bitch man-slap you but that statement was just all kinds of awesome.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:31 AM
SenSpeed

VDC is not 'cruide'

in that order.

I disagree. When accelerating straight, if you chirp the tires going into 2nd VDC will kick in and cut your throttle. It is crude unlike BMWs.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:25 PM
jungwoo0622

i often go to angeles forest with vdc off.
no vdc kick in problem what so ever.
maybe automatic has that problem or you need appointment with a dealer
Old 06-25-2008, 08:58 AM
JonnyOzero3

Originally Posted by SenSpeed
I disagree. When accelerating straight, if you chirp the tires going into 2nd VDC will kick in and cut your throttle. It is crude unlike BMWs.
It doesn't always cut the throttle hard while chirping into second. You're stomping on the gas, and without VDC I bet you'd be kicking your tail end all around.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:18 AM
fmrlegend
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JonnyOzero3
It doesn't always cut the throttle hard while chirping into second. You're stomping on the gas, and without VDC I bet you'd be kicking your tail end all around.
I tried a hard right turn with the VDC off, and sure enough the back end drifted about a foot before I had to let off the gas a bit to straighten up. So it's not that much more of accerleration/speed after the VDC kicks when the back end starts to drift.

But it just feels better knowing what your car is capable of doing and what not. I know what won't spin out or any thing on a sunny day with the VDC off, just have to know the cars limit or ease off the gas pedal when the back end drifts a bit. For sure on a gloomy misty, or rainny day the VDC will stay for me.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:50 PM
JonnyOzero3

^