Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

A thought about Intakes and ECU for the G37

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 01:51 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A thought about Intakes and ECU for the G37

OK people, I am just throwing this out there as a thought. I remember reading in a Injen thread that they had to go through research on how to "trick" our cars with their intake to produce more power. Something about the VVel or something that caused the car to produce less power when to much air was added which caused the valves to shut or something like that. I was thinking though, after an ECU reflash could you get the same or better gains out of a different intake if the ECU code was rewritten to stop this behavior from our cars. And if an ECU reflash did this would you lose some of you power that you gained with the Injen intake since it is designed around the cars intake behavior now? I might be wrong on this and I don't even know if an ECU reflash could provide something like this but it is just a thought. If some expert on here can chime in that would be great. And please no arguing on which intake is better....
Old 06-14-2008, 01:55 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I also thought about this too... good post... looking forward to hearing some knowledge...

bboy... are you gettin the injen?

Old 06-14-2008, 01:58 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Agreed... Good question, Bboy!
Old 06-14-2008, 02:06 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
I also thought about this too... good post... looking forward to hearing some knowledge...

bboy... are you gettin the injen?

I am not sure yet. I would but I don't like the placement of the filters and I am a little worried about hydro-lock. I got a great quote for it. I am tore between the Injen and JWT intakes...
Old 06-14-2008, 07:44 AM
SOLISIMO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was gonna ask this question when the time came to buy an intake. Having an F150, I was reading on their forums and if you do buy an intake for the truck you do need a programmer. Now I believe that anytime that the air flow into the motor is changed the computer needs to be adapted to that new behavior and Im not just talking resetting the ecu. There is no way that the Fujitas for example are loosing power, I mean its obvious that they are but there has to be more behind the science.

Im no expert in these motors but I do know my Mustangs and anytime an intake change or pulley swap on the blower (03-04 Cobra) a programmer is a must.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:53 AM
weave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not sure how they could "trick the ecu" unless they are messing with the MAF itself...which I doubt becasue then they run the risk of tripping the CEL. These computers are very adaptive and I would love to hear how they did this...The MAF is so sensitive that putting it in the wrong place (like in a bend) can trip the CEL.. I do know that the size of the tube has an effect so maybe that is why the narrowed it down so much on some of the kits out there...if this is the case, then I would suspect that we will be fine across the board becasue that is a constant. I would love to see a car with one of these installed, with a laptop hookup, toss up some fuel curve charts along with some EGT numbers....

I am also wondering how much the COBB access port is going to help us when it comes out. I just emailed COBB, so we will see what they say as to when it should ship.

EDIT: Just was looking at the map notes for the G35 and 350Z....seems he does not like non-OEM intakes all that much.

<<<<<CRITICAL INFORMATION!!! CRITICAL INFORMATION!!! CRITICAL INFORMATION!!!>>>>>
Additional Notes:
For use with a stock or very mildly modified normally aspirated 2003-2005 USDM Infiniti G35 only. Additional modifications such an drop-in replacement filter, underdrive pulley, high-flow catalytic converters, and cat-back exhaust system are still within the acceptable parameters of this calibration. YOU MUST USE THE FACTORY INTAKE SYSTEM ONLY. NO OTHER AFTERMARKET INTAKES ARE CERTIFIED COMPATIBLE WITH THIS CALIBRATION. THE INSTALLATION OF ANY OTHER HARDWARE SUCH AS STRAIGHT PIPES, HEADERS, OR PLENUM SPACERS MAY ALLOW THE VEHICLE TO RUN LEANER THAN DESIRED, WHICH CAN CAUSE ENGINE DAMAGE. Running ANY aftermarket intake system has the ability to compromise the performance of our calibration and possibly compromise the engine. The stock 350Z intake system flows very well and promotes a laminar air flow across the MAF sensor. Best if used with a minimum of 91 octane. If any detonation is present even when using 91 octane, try using octane booster.

Last edited by weave; 06-14-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:42 AM
Lastchance

Import Tuner came out with a good article on reflashing newer model vehicles due to the limited power you get from bolt-ons. These new vehicles really place a choke hold on the power that your engine is hiding from you.

The cover of the Import Tuner is yellow and it featured Tadashi at TechnoSquare in Torrance. Basically, it said.... to get the most power out of your bolt ons, the reflash is the way to go. I have an exhaust, intakes, and a HFC. When I had Tadashi reflash the vehicle, it made a huge difference. It's almost like the car was putting up a fight with the bolt-ons and Tadashi helped them work together. The reflash made more power and the throttle response is awesome now.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:43 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

bumping for some thoughts or an answer.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:06 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by weave
I am not sure how they could "trick the ecu" unless they are messing with the MAF itself...which I doubt becasue then they run the risk of tripping the CEL. These computers are very adaptive and I would love to hear how they did this...The MAF is so sensitive that putting it in the wrong place (like in a bend) can trip the CEL.. I do know that the size of the tube has an effect so maybe that is why the narrowed it down so much on some of the kits out there...if this is the case, then I would suspect that we will be fine across the board becasue that is a constant. I would love to see a car with one of these installed, with a laptop hookup, toss up some fuel curve charts along with some EGT numbers....

I am also wondering how much the COBB access port is going to help us when it comes out. I just emailed COBB, so we will see what they say as to when it should ship.

EDIT: Just was looking at the map notes for the G35 and 350Z....seems he does not like non-OEM intakes all that much.

<<<<<CRITICAL INFORMATION!!! CRITICAL INFORMATION!!! CRITICAL INFORMATION!!!>>>>>
Additional Notes:
For use with a stock or very mildly modified normally aspirated 2003-2005 USDM Infiniti G35 only. Additional modifications such an drop-in replacement filter, underdrive pulley, high-flow catalytic converters, and cat-back exhaust system are still within the acceptable parameters of this calibration. YOU MUST USE THE FACTORY INTAKE SYSTEM ONLY. NO OTHER AFTERMARKET INTAKES ARE CERTIFIED COMPATIBLE WITH THIS CALIBRATION. THE INSTALLATION OF ANY OTHER HARDWARE SUCH AS STRAIGHT PIPES, HEADERS, OR PLENUM SPACERS MAY ALLOW THE VEHICLE TO RUN LEANER THAN DESIRED, WHICH CAN CAUSE ENGINE DAMAGE. Running ANY aftermarket intake system has the ability to compromise the performance of our calibration and possibly compromise the engine. The stock 350Z intake system flows very well and promotes a laminar air flow across the MAF sensor. Best if used with a minimum of 91 octane. If any detonation is present even when using 91 octane, try using octane booster.
Here is a quote from gamedog about what I mean. There is a better explanation that I believe he posted but I don't have time to look for it right now. It should be in one of the Injen threads though.

Originally Posted by gamedog

Originally Posted by EZDozzit
Did Injen explain why they went with narrower tubing at the air mass sensor section rather than keeping a consistent diameter throughout the entire length?
Airspeed brotha... Too much = no bueno, but also too little = no bueno... Had to get it right to make power...
Old 06-15-2008, 10:09 PM
weave

Originally Posted by Lastchance
Import Tuner came out with a good article on reflashing newer model vehicles due to the limited power you get from bolt-ons. These new vehicles really place a choke hold on the power that your engine is hiding from you.

The cover of the Import Tuner is yellow and it featured Tadashi at TechnoSquare in Torrance. Basically, it said.... to get the most power out of your bolt ons, the reflash is the way to go. I have an exhaust, intakes, and a HFC. When I had Tadashi reflash the vehicle, it made a huge difference. It's almost like the car was putting up a fight with the bolt-ons and Tadashi helped them work together. The reflash made more power and the throttle response is awesome now.

Now we need to find a way for those of us on the east coast to get a reflash without having to send our ECU to Cali and waiting for 2 weeks.....
Old 06-16-2008, 12:36 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by weave
Now we need to find a way for those of us on the east coast to get a reflash without having to send our ECU to Cali and waiting for 2 weeks.....
Stop whining and send your ECU NOW...

j/k
Old 06-16-2008, 12:40 AM
Hraesvelg

Have y'all checked with Technosquare?
Old 06-16-2008, 12:54 AM
Lastchance

East Coasters......I feel your pain...Hopefully COBB will get on the ball with the access port.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:26 AM
The1andOnly

To make it simple, you can get more gains with all any intake system if you tune the ecu. But to get the best gains, you're gonna need more than just a reflash, since a reflash is still just a general mod. You would see better gains with any intake if you use a piggy back ecu so you can create a custom tune for the parts you have on your car.

Who knows, you could even gain more than injen tested if you take the time to tune the ecu correctly.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:59 AM
AZg37
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 6 Posts
now if i understand it correctly technosquare will take your ecu # and mods list and flash a new map on there, but if you take it into them they can throw it on the dyno and fine tune the flash to your car specifically, right? I'm gonna drive out there in a week or 2 to get the flash done and see what it unlocks with all my mods. I don't want just some general settings though, I want vehicle specific tuning

Quick Reply: A thought about Intakes and ECU for the G37