Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Tranmission Noise at Idle (video)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 07:42 PM
fkat
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mal_TX
This is a design choice by Nissan/Infiniti and operating as designed.
I don't think it is by design that makes this noise. It sounds like a typical sound when bearing or shimm is off or worn, or the fork/shaft.

Originally Posted by whiG37s
mine makes this noise to.. also, when im shifting gears, when i push the clutch in it makes a thump noise.. ideas?
I think you are talking about a different sound. There is another thread about this.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:27 PM
mal_TX

Well think what you want but I've had three G coupes and all of them made the exact same sound from day one.

Sounds like a design choice. The noise has nothing to do with the clutch, it has to do with the tranny spinning. If you listen carefully you can hear it "spin down" and go quiet a second or two after you press the clutch. It is more obvious if you rev the car in neutral while off the clutch pedal and then press the clutch down. The only part the clutch plays in this is that it controls whether or not the transmission (layshaft) spins.

05, 06, 08... all sound the same to me.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:15 AM
totski

My car is making the same noise too!! I took it in to the dealer and they said its NORMAL!!! well i guess its normal.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:00 PM
RedHerring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 350z sounded exactly the same as my G which sounds exactly like the video. It is the throwout bearing. I had a dodge truck that sounded the same, and a corvette and a.....
Old 05-19-2008, 09:23 AM
coladin

every manual car i have vere driven makes this noise. completely normal...the paranoia on this forum is alarming, you would think we all bought a 1996 hyundai excel or a Yugo or something...lol. Inifiniti make reliable and well built cars. Where does the doubt come from?
Old 05-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by coladin
every manual car i have vere driven makes this noise. completely normal...the paranoia on this forum is alarming, you would think we all bought a 1996 hyundai excel or a Yugo or something...lol. Inifiniti make reliable and well built cars. Where does the doubt come from?
I echo your sentiments 100%. Yes, there are some who have had legitimate problems with their G, but for the most part I think we are way better off than the vast majority of new car buyers out there. I think that some owners have a sense that everything must not only be perfect 100% of the time on their new cars, but that anything that they are unfamiliar with or don't like is a defect and that "Infiniti is trying to personally screw them". I guess a lot of folks are priviliged enough to never have driven a really crappy car to have a comparison to know what serious problems really are.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:05 AM
shmad

i dont know what manual cars you've had before that sounded like this, but my 88 prelude 5sp, 93 sentra 5sp, 96maxima 5sp, friends 00maxima 5sp/ 08 mustang 5sp did not sound like this. nor did i get a different sound in any of the aforementioned cars when i engaged/disengaged the clutch at a dead stop or under load as i do in this car. infiniti is saying this is normal for the G but many people on this forum, including myself, have never had this noise come from their old junkers. thats why people are alarmed.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:33 PM
mal_TX

Those old junkers had equally junky transmissions and your Infiniti has a very stout one. For example, the stock clutch is good for like 550HP (see motorsports TT thread). How much HP could your Sentra's stock clutch take?

Putting heavy duty gear in cars makes it have different characteristics. You'd rather it be quiet and wimpy? That's what Hondas are for. You'd rather it be quiet and stout? Spend $10-$20k more on a BMW or Audi.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:47 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a Geo Metro with a hydrolick (I know I spelt it wrong) clutch and it gave this noice but not as load. I am not worried. It is much more car than my old 95HP Geo Metro. The noice is not bad. I only hear it when I listen for it when my door is open. Suck it up people. Your car is OK.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:38 AM
sahiwal007

im assuming this sound comes from only for MT transmissions right?

Last edited by sahiwal007; 05-21-2008 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:14 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep
Old 05-21-2008, 03:33 AM
XtatiC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blaque831
Whenever a cat runs out into the street my transmission makes a very high pitched, whiny noise. Almost like a cat screaming. I don't know if it's related to what we're discussing here.
so every time a random cat runs by your car starts trippin?
Old 05-28-2008, 05:28 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Originally Posted by mal_TX
Those old junkers had equally junky transmissions and your Infiniti has a very stout one. For example, the stock clutch is good for like 550HP (see motorsports TT thread). How much HP could your Sentra's stock clutch take?

Putting heavy duty gear in cars makes it have different characteristics. You'd rather it be quiet and wimpy? That's what Hondas are for. You'd rather it be quiet and stout? Spend $10-$20k more on a BMW or Audi.
some very solid points....

wish i had 10-20k more to burn lol...oh well...For similar price as the G37 U could buy a semi-stout motored car that's refined and pretty quiet but a little wimpier such as the Lexus IS350..Though it is 4dr...

Last edited by DetroitG37Joe; 05-28-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:36 AM
Vexamus

I'm going to take a stab and say it's simply how the gears are cut. See if you have helical gears, they tend to be quieter but you lose more power in the drive train, if you have solid 90 degree gears such as those found on track cars in the rear end, they whine super loud as they tend to clack together instead of mesh and slide past each other. I had an 05 STi with helical cut gears all around. Nasty drivetrain loss, but super quiet gears.

G37's only suffer 15% drivetrain loss which is pretty good for FM/RWD, I'd attribute that to having a shallow angle cut on our gears, this is why it whines so bad when you're in first. The rear end has nice round helical cut gears, but I'm guessing that the input shaft has more agressively cut gears. I notice the whine in my car and having driven dog gears, it sounds like a nice tight set of teeth clacking together nicely. There's nothing wrong with it.

The sound you hear when you release the clutch at idle is simply the input shaft being connected to the engine and rotating. The reverse idler gear is probably near straight cut(as most are which is why reverse whines horribly in almost any car) so you're hearing that gear when you're sitting still in neutral.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:45 PM
mal_TX

Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
some very solid points....

wish i had 10-20k more to burn lol...oh well...For similar price as the G37 U could buy a semi-stout motored car that's refined and pretty quiet but a little wimpier such as the Lexus IS350..Though it is 4dr...
Well the IS350 is automatic tranny only. You could get a G37 5AT or 7AT next year and it will not make this noise and not be appreciably slower than the G37 6mt and at least as fun as the IS350 -- likely much more fun.